Gransnet forums

Chat

Net curtains

(109 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 03-May-20 12:27:16

Does anyone have net curtains anymore, spending the lockdown at home 24/7 you tend to notice things that you have never really thought about before, (I’m not bored Honestly! ) but gardening at the front of my house,and looking at the houses around me, not one pair of net curtains in any of the windows! I personally haven’t had any since the eighties

GagaJo Sun 03-May-20 17:24:39

Hahaha Gabriella dogging.

I agree. Nets are definitely related to class.

I’ve always hated them. I’ve had muslin half length before now, due to the very nosy neighbour in the house behind. But got rid of them because I hated them so much. If he wants to cop a glimpse of a fat, tired, old woman getting into her wincyette, he can.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 03-May-20 18:16:17

Absolutely cannot stand nets

phoenix Sun 03-May-20 19:32:01

I'm getting pretty miffed about this

1) I only have those sort of sheer type window coverings at ONE of my windows.

2) There is a good and valid reason for having them at that ONE window!

3) I'm quite upset that some people think that because I've got them AT ONLY ONE WINDOW, AND FOR A GOOD REASON! that I'm some sort of chav! angry

GrannyGravy13 Sun 03-May-20 19:39:48

Phoenix you are not a chav your house your choice.

I would not judge people on their curtain choice one of the joys of having our own homes is decorating/dressing them as we please.

sodapop Sun 03-May-20 19:43:52

I have voile panels as well at all the windows as our house is on the pavement. They are much more usual here in France. My husband hates them with a vengeance.

Bridie22 Sun 03-May-20 20:40:35

I have nets at my windows, which class does that put me in ??!!

Greeneyedgirl Sun 03-May-20 20:58:19

Well let's just say, you don't have young ones with nets!
Relic of a bygone age methinks?

Bridie22 Sun 03-May-20 21:09:51

Disagree, lots of young households here have nets in place !

EllanVannin Sun 03-May-20 21:28:48

Bottom of the class with me Bridie22. shock

sodapop Sun 03-May-20 21:48:55

Which class would that be EllanVannin

Bridie22 Sun 03-May-20 22:07:29

GabriellaG4....would you please elaborate to me your opinion of "a class thing" in regards to people who prefer net curtains. !

phoenix Sun 03-May-20 22:55:15

I have given this some thought, and have decided that the window dressing that is only at ONE of my windows does NOT come under the classification of a " net" curtain.

A) It has no pattern
B) It is without any embellishment
C) It is plain
D) It is there for a purpose, i.e. to ensure privacy, rather than for embellishment purposes (see B)

Artdecogran Sun 03-May-20 23:12:54

GillT57, sorry to mention this and I don’t want to worry you unduly but having a high hedge in the front garden is not a good idea because burglars like to hide behind them. It makes it easier for them if they can’t be seen from the street.☹️

Bridie22 Sun 03-May-20 23:15:01

I don't see the need to justify the style of nets we do or do not prefer.
The remark about nets being a "class thing", I find unpleasant and offensive, and the poster who said it comes across as a pompous, upper class snob .... in my opinion.

Eloethan Sun 03-May-20 23:15:43

We have got just white wooden blinds. We got rid of all curtains about ten years ago. I rarely close the sitting room blinds, not even at night, because I like to see out.

Curtains are a nuisance to keep clean but blinds get dirty too and are a bit of a bind to clean. Despite that, I prefer them.

pensionpat Sun 03-May-20 23:29:15

I love net curtains because you can’t see when the windows need cleaning. I must be a lower class slut.

Grandmafrench Sun 03-May-20 23:52:00

Phoenix. I have heard that it's not possible to buy class. So nets/no nets, it will therefore not be of any benefit to you if you spend hours pondering on the suitability, or otherwise, of your bedroom curtains and whether they might allow you to better fit in with all the high end window coverings mentioned on this thread and probably in the windows of neighbouring properties.

In an effort to help you, I feel quite strongly that you should consider discarding your single, low-key, plain, tasteful, white bedroom curtain; but not at the expense of throwing caution and decorum to the wind - thus allowing your neighbours to look across and be forced to observe you mincing around in your frillies at all hours!

You will see from the photograph I have selected, (and I am hoping that this will download for you) that I am blessed with much style and taste and I'm sure you will agree that at the small cost of 11€,( think that's about £9 in old money,) these curtains will add that certain je ne sais quoi to your decor, and lift your lovely home into a level which will leave your neighbours spellbound and agog! Lockdown will take on new vistas and pleasures for them and for the phoenix household.

I will be more than happy to discuss other small design changes which I feel might benefit a home of your quality - perhaps we could take a look at replacing or restoring some of the garden gnomes (especially the one with orange hat and the missing nose) and having viewed the photographs you sent to me, I think that your plastic flowers could definitely use a bit of a re-vamp. Do let me know if you require further assistance with this problem. We run a very select and stylish agency, so you need to have no further worries concerning your furnishing choices. We'll wait to hear from you. Ciao for now.

NotSpaghetti Mon 04-May-20 00:04:56

There are some beautiful "net" curtains and some hideous ones.

MYB textiles are still making both Scottish Madras and Nottingham Lace on ancient machinery. They have traditional lace and contemporary lace designs and have some fabulous colours, do lots of bespoke work and both complex and simple designs.

Like them or not, I don't think they make any "under the table" fabrics! ?

Here's one of theirs for example:
www.curiousegg.com/product/madras-panel-paradiso-black/

NotSpaghetti Mon 04-May-20 00:14:21

Knoll also have some lovely "nets". Theirs are contemporary and the very open ones are beautiful.

I don't need nets for privacy in my home but a wouldn't be snooty about some of these.

GabriellaG54 Mon 04-May-20 01:07:54

Grandmafrench
I actually think those tomato curtains look quite quirky and fab. Dazzling...in the right setting and phoenix, you'd look crazily sexy appearing from behind those curtains in what Grandmafrench called 'your frillies'.

Seriously, I totally understand where you're coming from re the opaque curtain to protect modesty. No hard feelings..er maybe that's not the best way to put it but you know what I mean. Don't be miffed.
I was once staying with a friend in 1969 (my then DH was away and I had our baby daughter with me)
Getting changed to go out one afternoon, a frantic knocking at the door sent my friend (who was downstairs) scurrying to answer it.
It was a guy from across the avenue who told her that he'd nearly had a heart attack after seeing someone stripping off in an upstairs window.
Yes, it was me.
Naturally, if it was nowadays, he might have sued for damage to his eyesight. ??
So I now take great care not to offend passersby when en deshabille.

GabriellaG54 Mon 04-May-20 01:18:32

Oh yessss GillT57 and preferably the TV (if you have one) in another reception room (if you have two sitting rooms)
but absolutely no books or mags in the bathroom.

kittylester Mon 04-May-20 07:56:37

I find not cleaning the windows helps maintain privacy! blush

NotSpaghetti Mon 04-May-20 08:30:56

Grandmafrench ?

sodapop Mon 04-May-20 08:37:07

Like your thinking kittylester grin

Bridie22 Mon 04-May-20 08:39:02

GabriellaG4. ...
I gave you the opportunity to explain your post from yesterday at 13.38, as you have chosen to disregard , I intend to report your post .