Gransnet forums

Chat

THIS IS HOW I SEE IT

(62 Posts)
phoenix Wed 06-May-20 19:19:54

To all GN Members

Complaining about my husband in a light hearted way should not offend or upset those who have lost theirs, as indeed members writing about their adult children in a similar way shouldn't offend those (myself included) who have lost theirs.

We all have losses to contend with, and they may be harder to bear at this time, but if we can smile at least once a day, surely that is what those who have left us would want, and those left behind, need.

The fact that they are dead, doesn't make them perfect. I'm sure that they had their foibles and peccadiloes, which no doubt annoyed or irritated you.

Don't beatify them, they were men, both special and ordinary, but nonetheless loved, as indeed my dh is.

Thank you for reading.

NanaandGrampy Thu 07-May-20 21:01:58

Tree???.......I mean ‘ there is’...of course!

NanaandGrampy Thu 07-May-20 21:01:18

These days Phoenix tree is ALWAYS someone who is willing , ready and able to be offended !

So quite frankly you’re damned if you do and dames if you don’t.

I love Grampy but I’m not shortsighted enough to be unable to see him for who he is annoyances, foibles and all. I don’t love him any less by voicing them . Neither would he be offended to hear them.

Keep on keeping on Phoenix!

phoenix Thu 07-May-20 20:40:54

Thank you all, your posts are very much appreciated.

Gabriella your post was so well phrased, I'd never thought of it in those terms, but you're right.

One day I may tell the story, at least the bits of it I know!

GabriellaG54 Thu 07-May-20 20:26:44

When you turn to your mum and she turns away...there can be no harder blow.
So sad and sorry about that ? phoenix

maddyone Thu 07-May-20 20:20:35

Oh Phoenix what a terrible thing for your mother to say. Even after all my sister’s remarks, I gasped as I read what your mother said. That’s so sad, I’m so sorry it happened to you. flowers

BlueSky Thu 07-May-20 20:15:44

Phoenix I liked you before but even more so now. flowers

Maggiemaybe Thu 07-May-20 19:34:41

Oh my goodness, phoenix, your mother’s reaction! shock

thanks for you.

Maggiemaybe Thu 07-May-20 19:33:17

Ah, phoenix, it sounds as though you’ve been ticked off. I’m sorry. It happens so often on here. The fact is, all of us have worries and tragedies in our lives, it’s the human condition. There will be times, perhaps more often at the moment, when we just don’t want to read a light-hearted thread, or hear people laughing and enjoying themselves. At those times I’m afraid it’s up to us to avoid them, not to demand that everyone else stop all the clocks. Please keep on cheering us up, most of us appreciate it even more at the moment.

phoenix Thu 07-May-20 19:17:00

Yes, it was, but can't change it. She never gave me the opportunity to sort out whatever it was that set her on that path.

As I say, another story for another time.

farview Thu 07-May-20 19:13:18

pheonix..what a terribly hurtful thing for your mother to say...?

Doodle Thu 07-May-20 19:09:27

phoenix ? that’s awful. I am so sorry. flowers.

phoenix Thu 07-May-20 18:59:50

"I was" not "ideas" damn predictive text!

phoenix Thu 07-May-20 18:58:31

Oh, maddyone that resonates! When DS2 died, I thought that would be the one thing that might build a bridge with my mother (she had suddenly decided that ideas persona non grata, long story, perhaps for another time?)

I phoned her in tears, hoping for some sort of reconciliation, I said "Mum, I've lost my boy"

She replied, "Yes, and I've lost a grandson, but you still have a husband" and hung up!

maddyone Thu 07-May-20 18:51:08

I think that your OP was lovely Phoenix. Thank you.

My sister lost her husband ten years ago. I tried my best to support her through the most difficult time for her (won’t go into the various things my husband and myself did, but there was lot) but one thing that frequently upset me was when she would say ‘You’ve still got your husband!’ in quite a nasty tone. I never once said anything back to her, but it did hurt me. Likewise when she said, most unkindly in my opinion, that no one ever did anything for her. I found it very hurtful.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 07-May-20 18:50:05

Carry on Phoenix in this strange time your posts are lovely to read and make me smile ??‍♀️

SueDonim Thu 07-May-20 18:40:39

smile

phoenix Thu 07-May-20 18:09:28

Thank you to all who have posted, and my apologies to those who I have inadvertently upset or offended. flowers

farview Thu 07-May-20 17:58:40

When I see a new thread title..I can usually tell when it's a pheonix one..?and always look forward to reading it..your humour is wonderful..⚘

sodapop Thu 07-May-20 12:16:50

So sorry Lizzies such a sad time for you. It's good to hear thoughts of them still make you chuckle. Thinking of you thanks

ninathenana Thu 07-May-20 12:15:33

Great OP phoenix I've always enjoyed your humour.

Lizzies Thu 07-May-20 12:12:29

I lost my husband earlier this year and my dad last month. I hope that I can carry on thinking of them both with a smile and even a chuckle when I remember their little and not so little foibles. They were both lovely people and thinking of them makes me happy and sad at the same time.

TwiceAsNice Thu 07-May-20 12:06:03

Love your sense of humour Phoenix please keep posting. People and life are not perfect and let’s not pretend they are/ it is. It’s a pity your posts can’t be taken in the way they were intended

Squiffy Thu 07-May-20 10:28:46

Keep on keeping on Phoenix! Mr P is becoming a legend in his own lifetime! grin

I think the other poster was having a bad day. It was most unlike her, so I hope she's all right.

Teetime Thu 07-May-20 10:10:17

Good post phoenix I often stop myself posting something funny DH has said or done because I think I might offend someone who has lost their DH- he does do some weird stuff at times and the miscommunication due to his deafness can be hilarious.

cavewoman Thu 07-May-20 04:07:58

You're always good for a chuckle phoenix

Your mini blogs are a delight to read.

The world is miserable enough at the moment.