Gransnet forums

Chat

What Are You Really Missing?

(112 Posts)
Calendargirl Tue 12-May-20 10:35:12

Just that really.

I know many of you will say the grandchildren, the hairdresser, going out for coffee et al.

I am missing the library. I managed to get 6 books out just before they closed, have spread them out as much as possible, but only a few chapters left of my last Robert Galbraith one, and dread finishing it as I will have to resort to ones on my bookshelf, you know the type, ones I bought and haven’t got into.

Oh well.....

??

EllanVannin Thu 14-May-20 12:46:57

I must sat that it's going to be hard getting used to being out and about again without that tinge of fear of what might be " lurking ", especially in shops. I for one will be very wary to the point that it'll stop my concentration when browsing as I'll be conscious of how close people will be.

It'll take a while I imagine and the older you are the more aware you'll be. Almost like getting over an illness and being out for the first time after convalescing. Horrible really.

Disgruntled Thu 14-May-20 12:42:00

The touch of another living being.

Hellsgrandad Thu 14-May-20 12:37:46

Firstly, thankyou for the kind messages.
JuliaM, lovely suggestion but, sadly not an option. My wife is in a very late stage of alzheimers and has not been able to speak for three years. Also she is almost totally immobile and has to have two carers to help her walk anywhere. The care home itself, which is excellent, is a three story building with the top floor reserved purely for dementia residents for security purposes so looking at each other through a window is not possible. I've tried a Skype call but she showed no reaction at all and went to sleep after two minutes.
When she went into the home I promised her that I would never abandon her and always be there.....and now I can't.

Saggi Thu 14-May-20 12:35:43

Kids
Grandchildren
Pub lunch with my best friend
Hairdresser

Bazza Thu 14-May-20 12:28:41

Hugs.
Library.
Seeing friends.
Freedom!

Ladyf Thu 14-May-20 12:18:42

Miss meeting my mother and sister at my local garden centre and having a chat and a warm cheese scone. It is a little heap of golden heaven.

Theoddbird Thu 14-May-20 12:17:16

Sodapop...stress can affect us in so many ways. I set out three years ago to live a peaceful life. As things have turned out with Covid-19 I am so happy I chose the life I did. It is simple. Yesterday I had 9 cygnets under my jetty with their mum and dad. I am blessed.

Flakesdayout Thu 14-May-20 12:10:59

I am Shielded and will be for quite some time to come. I miss just going out. Browsing local shops, popping out to pick something up for dinner and of course seeing my family and not have to have a quick chat with friends if they drop off essentials.

sodapop Thu 14-May-20 12:08:16

That's very philosophical of you Theoddbird sounds like a lovely life style.

Theoddbird Thu 14-May-20 12:04:44

I decided not to miss things. As I couldn't do anything about it there was no point in stressing about it. So....I just live peacefully...alone on my narrow boat with my cats. I click and collect for groceries and I quilt. Life is good...

Missgran Thu 14-May-20 12:02:04

I miss having Ad sil and gcs for Sunday lunch or going to theirs having my haircut and nails going on holidays and eating out

Calender37 Thu 14-May-20 12:00:29

The occasional unannounced visits from my adult grand children, not seeing their very small children and holding the two new babies. The normality and freedom of Life generally that many now realise we have always taken for granted. Going to the hairdresser will be a day for celebration - but only when the time is right. Unexpectedly I have survived Covid19 so that makes me appreciate each new day, regardless of all the restrictions.

Calendargirl Thu 14-May-20 11:49:50

Yes, Thecatshatonthemat

Work does give structure, though now I’m retired, not the case.

Who said “ If there’s no Monday morning, then there’s no weekend”?

Used to tell myself that every Monday morning to motivate myself.

Thecatshatontgemat Thu 14-May-20 11:43:09

Missing work, as it gives structure to the week.
Should be going back at the beginning of June, fingers crossed.
Keep me covered, I'm going in...... ?

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 14-May-20 11:32:26

I miss going for a coffee! Should be the hairdresser, but quite honestly I'm using it as a challenge to see how I manage with the bird's nest!!
Also of course my GC. Tried speaking to my 4 year old GD this morning on facetime - but she is now used to being anti-social and wouldn't speak to me!

Joesoap Thu 14-May-20 11:01:52

Freedom to do what I want when I want.Freedom to be able to get to the UK without any hassle.I miss it so much.

Lclaytonuk555 Thu 14-May-20 10:50:22

I am mostly housebound anyway and only get out once or twice a fortnight. What I am really missing is having something to look forward to - a visit or small outing!

Tinydancer Thu 14-May-20 10:48:24

Mostly missing giving adult son a hug. Then seeing baby grandchild growing up. Zoom "chats" with her are great but no substitute for real life interaction.
Next meeting up with family and friends.
Feeling anxious about check ups wih healthcare professionals. Just want to feel happy going.

Annanan Thu 14-May-20 10:39:30

HUGS

Foxglove77 Thu 14-May-20 10:37:35

I miss going to our local zoo and a bit of window shopping. I've not been out of our village since lockdown and my birthday was one to remember for all the wrong reasons!

nipsmum Thu 14-May-20 10:36:35

Looking forward to having the family for our usual lunch on the first weekend we are allowed.

JuliaM Thu 14-May-20 10:35:58

Im going through a similiar situation with my 93yr old Dad Hellsgrandad, total lockdown at the carehome he is in, so none of our family can visit him, so sad. I did try calling him every week at first, but staff said that he was becoming disruptive after my calls and trying every way possible to escape, sadly his dementia has brought out the agressive side in him, and hes been quite abusive to certain younger members of staff when they have not given into his demands, especially when hes demanding alcohol. Some of the other residents at the home manage to see their visitors through an open varandah suportedby a member of staff on finedays, and through the closed Patio doors when the weather was cooler like it was when we first entered lockdown. Would this be an option for you and your wife Hellsgrandad?

SillyNanny321 Thu 14-May-20 10:23:13

Going in to Town 3 afternoons a week to my Volunteering in a local Charity shop. Going to see my friend of 50+ years once a week. Going out when I wanted & where I wanted fir as long as I wanted. Mostly though I miss seening my DS, DDiL, DGC. I miss the laughter, the hugs, playing games & hearing what they have been doing since I last saw them. Thinking I may never have all that again really hurts!

missdeke Thu 14-May-20 10:20:20

Calendargirl sometimes the books that you bought and haven't got into can turn out to be the best. I bought a book called The Fiery Cross, amongst others, to take abroad with me when I worked abroad. I started to read it and couldn't get into it so read all the others first, when I had nothing else left to read I went back to The Fiery Cross, it turned out to be absolutely brilliant, my problem was it was the 3rd one in a series which was why I couldn't get into it in the first place. It became an obsession to buy all the rest of them. It is now showing as a series on tv.

Craftycat Thu 14-May-20 10:20:06

If I am honest I miss my own company.
Having DH home all the time is driving me mad. He is the
most untidy person in the world & I am constantly tidying up.
He is turning the garage into a workshop which means the drive, patio & dining room are covered in 'stuff' he has turned out while he works out there- which is about 3 hours a day!
No sign of him going back to work as he had just finished a contract before all this & it will take time before companies employ consultants again.
I am also missing coffee with friends & seeing DGC but mainly the peace & quiet!!