Gransnet forums

Chat

What Are You Really Missing?

(112 Posts)
Calendargirl Tue 12-May-20 10:35:12

Just that really.

I know many of you will say the grandchildren, the hairdresser, going out for coffee et al.

I am missing the library. I managed to get 6 books out just before they closed, have spread them out as much as possible, but only a few chapters left of my last Robert Galbraith one, and dread finishing it as I will have to resort to ones on my bookshelf, you know the type, ones I bought and haven’t got into.

Oh well.....

??

Anniebach Wed 20-May-20 13:12:00

I am missing my granddaughter, clean bed linen, having my nails cut, a chat with the postman and with Tesco delivery chap.

Calendargirl Wed 20-May-20 13:06:36

Just a ‘thank you’ to all those of you who responded to my OP about the libraries being closed.

I took on board what you said about on line reading. My Libby App is coming into its own, have the maximum books I’m allowed on hold, and when I’ve sorted out our main meal, I aim to sit in the garden in a comfy chair, in the shade of the apple tree, as it’s a glorious day, and wallow in my latest book.

And I’m not going to feel guilty about doing so!

Jennyluck Fri 15-May-20 00:21:10

Being in my car, usually going to work (which I’m not doing at the moment). Music full blast and singing along. I’ve only just realised how much I love to sing .
Meeting friends for lunch ??.
And most of all ...... freedom ?

Dianehillbilly1957 Thu 14-May-20 23:14:48

FREEDOM!?

Theoddbird Thu 14-May-20 22:46:28

Hellsgranddad....I send you peace...I cannot imagine how you feel. Have you talked to the people at the care home about how they can find a way for you to see your wife?

patlan45 Thu 14-May-20 20:58:40

I am also missing the library very much. I always have lots of books on order and have been really missing the new books I had been looking forward to reading. Fortunately I have lots of old favourites that I have been rereading, but I totally agree, Calendargirl.

HillyN Thu 14-May-20 20:35:09

I would really love to go for a swim followed by a soak in a jacuzzi.

sodapop Thu 14-May-20 20:09:26

Sounds idyllic Theoddbird stay happy and safe.

hicaz46 Thu 14-May-20 19:48:19

Family and grandchildren then my U3A groups and friends.

Missiseff Thu 14-May-20 19:31:19

Football!

Bluecat Thu 14-May-20 19:04:03

Family
The library
U3A
Wandering around the little shops that sell Indian groceries, to pick up some spices, methi leaves, etc. Then maybe popping into a sweet shop for jallebis and other sweets and snacks. No doubt these shops are open but I daren't go.

Calendargirl Thu 14-May-20 18:36:37

Re my OP.

Thank you everyone for suggestions about lack of library books.

Have downloaded the Libby app, and looking forward to reading some of my choices. Not quite the same as a real book, but will be a great substitute I’m sure.

craftyone Thu 14-May-20 17:59:29

going to national trust properties and exploring their grounds

Taking steam train rides to the beach

I had planned to join U3A this month

Making future plans, better to live a day at a time right now

Daftbag1 Thu 14-May-20 17:53:36

Nothing really!

That's a lie, we usually go to France for a months camping, and it's unlikely to happen this year, but we will survive, that apart as a hermit I'm not overly worried about going on, I never get bored, and my DH & I get on well and enjoy each other's company. We are lucky!

minxie Thu 14-May-20 16:42:26

You can order books from the library and read them online. I love mooching around a library, it's one of my favourite places.

Cs783 Thu 14-May-20 16:28:55

Like many others I miss the serendipity of browsing - in a library, a charity shop, a new place.

However there is a world of online discoveries to be made and I’m loving that - esp curated lists. I love the GN suggestions of free courses in the ‘How to stay positive’ section. And the Libby app for my library has given me some great librarians’ suggestions.

3nanny6 Thu 14-May-20 15:49:10

Theoddbird; you seem to have the best of times on your narrowboat with your cats. I just looked through this thread to see what people are missing. I have been missing being allowed out for exercise more than once a day but now that has changed I feel better.
The narrow boat makes me feel envious I often sat near the River Thames at Windsor and always envied all the boats moored up along the river. The people on the boats would always call out hello they were so happy people.

inishowen Thu 14-May-20 15:18:06

I miss having time to myself at home. Much as I love himself we feel joined at the hip lately. I also miss charity shops. I've always loved browsing for books, knitting patterns and yarn.

georgenotheoldone Thu 14-May-20 15:05:15

Yes I/we are keeping busy, useful things ticked off lists. BUT it is feeling as if I am doing chores all the time. D W is coping better.
As others have said no spontaneity around.
U3A class, the leader is keeping in contact but little response from the others. No interaction.

Nanna58 Thu 14-May-20 14:49:41

Hellsgrandad you haven’t abandoned her , and you are always there, the fact that you think as you do and try so hard to do your best proves that. Circumstances may have forced a physical distance but you have most certainly not failed her in any way.

Nanna58 Thu 14-May-20 14:45:34

The chiropodist! Cannot cut my own nails easily as have arthritis so cannot bend knees easily and hands don’t work too well either! Sketchers for the foreseeable, don’t want to frighten the horses min my sandals !

Greengage Thu 14-May-20 14:18:06

Missing my sister-in-law's funeral yesterday, and missing being able to hug my brother and his family.

Naturally missing all my family.

Missing my love.

Oh, to be able to hug again!

dogsmother Thu 14-May-20 13:26:03

Sunday lunch with grown up children
Friday nights at the pub
Fish and chips

Oldbat1 Thu 14-May-20 13:10:27

@calendargirl did you know about BorrowBox - our library service uses it and other county councils also. You can download ebooks and audio books. I’m not a great lover of reading ebooks prefer the proper book but it may be useful to you.

Milly Thu 14-May-20 12:55:58

Oh CALENDERGIRL I feel for you. I keep thanking my lucky stars that I bought myself a Kindle for last year's birthday, and wonder how I would have managed without. I do hope the Libraries open up soon for you.