Gransnet forums

Chat

This won't work

(162 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Tue 12-May-20 14:54:18

Rishi Sunak is supporting non-workers to the tune of £14m pd until end of July (80% of wages) then Aug- Oct workers can go part-time with companies paying part of the wages, however , it's transpired that many workers who can now return to work, have declined, preferring the idle life this summer and content to live on 80% handouts.
Many have picked up cash in hand jobs to boost their income.
Nice work eh?
Too used to it now and it will not end well.

ineedamum Sat 16-May-20 18:49:35

oldgimmer1 if a person on furlough works for someone else, do they get paid from two employers?

Barmeyoldbat Sat 16-May-20 19:02:00

Some people thrive on attention and I believe we have one here.

Grandad1943 Sat 16-May-20 19:46:07

GagaJo, strangely enough just this week I have been dealing with a very similar situation to that you described in your post @18:38 today.

An employer enquired of our company what their position is as they have an employee who is stating he cannot return to work from being on furlough due to long standing chest problems.

We have advised on looking deeper into the circumstance that should the employee contract Covid-19 while at work it would be without doubt an extremely serious health situation for him.

However, as an employer they could now place the employee on sick leave with the corresponding wages payment for that. Should then the Covid-19 situation persist (example, no vaccine found in the near future) the employee could then be requested to attend an employment compatibility interview. it would then be decided at that interview whether the employee's condition is such that he would never at any time in the foreseeable future be capable of carrying out his employment duties for the company without gravely endangering his health.

Should the above be found to be the case, then the employee could be released from employment with the company on the grounds of ill-health making him incompatible with the work duties he has been employed to carry out.

Obviously, there would be no entitlement to a redundancy payment to the employee as the job will still be in existence but the existing employee is incapable of performing that work.

GagaJo Sat 16-May-20 20:55:05

Grandad, two things then. 1) I guess I'm lucky I can work from home. 2) I'd give up my job before risking my health.

MawB Sat 16-May-20 21:06:44

Am I right in thinking that your contract was only going to run until June anyway Gagajo
Suely you could take sick leave or even holiday up to the final date?

oldgimmer1 Sat 16-May-20 21:55:07

Yes @ineedamum.

You can work for someone else whilst on furlough, but you can't take further paid work from the employer who's furloughing you.

(Unless there's something in your contract that forbids it, I guess).

oldgimmer1 Sat 16-May-20 22:01:14

My understanding is that your normal contractual obligations kick in should a change of circumstance occur whilst on furlough.

Grandad1943 Sat 16-May-20 22:05:08

Gagajo, if you do seek further employment with a different employer ensure you declare your existing health condition on application for any position.

As as a great many employers and our own company are finding no one can make workplaces 100% safe in regard to Covid-19 infection. All we can do is undertake everything practically feasible to bring about the highest safety possible under the circumstances that exist in the workplace.

Therefore Gagajo, in the above, should you not declare any existing condition on an application for employment then that employer, should he grant you employment, would be entitled to dismiss you for gross misconduct should your health condition become apparent while in employment.

GagaJo Sat 16-May-20 22:21:05

Every job I've applied for over the last 20 or so years had had a health questionnaire to complete. I've had a couple of things to include, one of which is the asthma.

MawB Sat 16-May-20 23:08:54

As you have already missed your provisional return to work date of 11 May,*Gagajo*, I assume you have already been in contact with your employers to arrange how you proceed for the next 3-4 weeks. As you said elsewhere, your contract is only for a few weeks more-
And since my contract ends in June
Is there any need for further speculation?

GagaJo Sun 17-May-20 11:09:35

There have been complications in my workplace which I won't discuss in public (unrelated to me) which mean that my non-return was VERY prudent.

Now just waiting to see what happens next.