Gransnet forums

Chat

Going out out

(98 Posts)
Sunlover Wed 13-May-20 09:15:22

Getting all excited. Now we are allowed to meet up with one other person my friend and I have arranged to meet on Friday. We will both drive to a secluded car park, stay in our cars, open our windows, drink tea and chat.
We haven’t seen each other since February and usually see each other 3/4 times a week. There will be tears and laughter and lots of gossip. grin

Teetime Wed 13-May-20 09:18:24

That's sounds lovely - have a great time.

vampirequeen Wed 13-May-20 10:32:17

Brilliant idea.

DH has gone to visit his 12 year old son today. They haven't seen each other since lockdown started. I know the rules said that children could see both parents but he lives in another city (about 70 miles) and it just didn't seem right to travel all that way. They facetimed every day and my stepson understood and agreed. But since people are now to be allowed to drive to the coast we didn't think this trip would make much difference in the grand scheme of things.

We checked with West Yorkshire police because we were worried that 70 miles might be deemed too far but they said it was OK.

Namsnanny Thu 14-May-20 00:45:19

Sunlover ...I'm excited for you both! grin

That sounds lovely for them Vampirqueen!

Coolgran65 Thu 14-May-20 01:10:18

Vampirequeen I'm so hapoy, you sound very happy.

Here in N Ireland we haven't been relaxed like England so still no meeting up. So we still have that to look forward to.

Eldest ds has the biggest house and garden and is next to fields and a beautiful meadow. He says once we are all ok he is having a big family party. Ds2 and family will come home from mainland UK for it.

LadyGracie Thu 14-May-20 09:11:04

Enjoy all your little get togethers, what an emotional and exciting time, it’ll wonderful for everyone.

I can’t wait till our rules are relaxed in Wales and we get to see our dear granddaughter, but only when it’s safe.

LadyGracie Thu 14-May-20 09:11:43

Be wonderful.

polnan Thu 14-May-20 09:14:15

I am scared to get into my car and drive! anyone else feeling anxious about that? car has been standing idle for many weeks now..

Molli Thu 14-May-20 09:18:42

I would dearly love to see my daughter even if I can’t see my GC but she says it’s not an essential journey so won’t meet me?. She hasn’t been out even to exercise since 23 rd March as she says it’s too risky and has only been to the supermarket a couple of times and once to take her son to hospital. I am finding it incredibly hard as neighbours and friends this week locally on their birthdays have had their families round. We have a very large garden so social distancing is easy to do. It was easier when we were told not to go out at all. I have spent every day this week crying. ?

Sunlover Thu 14-May-20 09:19:46

When I venture out tomorrow it will be the first time I have driven since February!! I only got the car in early Feb so have hardly driven it. Hope I can remember how to drive. ??

Jishere Thu 14-May-20 09:20:47

Sunlover this made me smile. I hope you have a lovely time. Please don't waste your time crying, have a good laugh and enjoy being outside.

Coconut Thu 14-May-20 09:25:06

I was able to drive over to one of my granddaughters Tuesday, to deliver both her birthday and Easter gifts ! I sat on their front garden, but I did ask them not to come to the front door. They spoke to me from their balcony on the 1st floor of their house. It was easier that way for my brain to accept that I couldn’t hug her !!

Laurensnan Thu 14-May-20 09:27:07

I have my son's birthday next week. He died of cancer ten years ago and would be turning 37. My other son has his birthday next week too. I've not seen him for 2 months and I thought his birthday I would not be able to see him either. Not seeing him only added to the anxiety I'm feeling at having my other sons birthday looming (with their birthdays being just 5 days apart). Now I find I can drive the 45 minutes to see him at a park near him. I'm so happy!!! I may not be able to hug him but I just long to see him plus ....my new grandson will be in the pram !!!!

Anrol Thu 14-May-20 09:28:32

My one trip out next Friday, since the beginning of March, will be to attend my beautiful mums funeral. She died last week (not from Covid) & we were sadly not permitted to say our last goodbyes. I’d love to get excited about going out but ..........
Enjoy your trips ladies.

Gingergirl Thu 14-May-20 09:28:41

To add to the good news...I am walking round a local park with a friend this afternoon ...obviously two metres apart...but hey, I’m going out for an hour!? Hoping that this will extend to all of the uk soon...if not, we are likely to be back to square one..

Gingergirl Thu 14-May-20 09:30:34

So sorry Anrol. Your post hadn’t appeared when I wrote mine. I do realise that it is an awful time for many of us. What a shame that you couldn’t have seen her...but she will know....?

jacalpad Thu 14-May-20 09:30:44

I went out in the car yesterday for only the second time in seven weeks. The windows were dirty, so I decided to use the windscreen wipers. It took me a while to remember how to use the wipers - only had the car nearly 5 years!!!!!

Cherrytree59 Thu 14-May-20 09:36:31

Sunlover yeh not just going out but out out?

We are going out out l8r.
New jacket on (bought for a france trip that never was).
A trip to a garden and aquatic centre to buy some pond plants and then a drive over to meet my sister to hand over plants.
Got butterflies in my tummy already ???

Wishing you all a pleasant day whether in the garden, out or out out. ???

patricia1958 Thu 14-May-20 09:37:56

Your so lucky to be able to go and meet your friend I hope you have a super time and for that short time forget about what's going on in the world I'm on the top priority list and cant leave my flat and nobody an come passed my front door so it's hard for me to cope sometimes but I am always glad to hear other people are doing something that they have missed doing have a lovely time

Cherrytree59 Thu 14-May-20 09:37:59

Anrol thanks?

NanaPlenty Thu 14-May-20 09:42:57

Polnan I know what you mean. Having been looking forward to being able to go out I now feel quite a lot of anxiety - I was tossing and turning in bed last night which is a sure sign. In a way it’s almost habit forming staying home and knowing you are safe. I’m sure this is quite normal.

Justanotherwannabe Thu 14-May-20 09:45:10

We're in the middle of buying a house.

Started well before lockdown and have got as far as signing contracts. Although I talk to the owner from time to time and have become quite friendly, I feel as though I can't really remember it in detail; we haven't been there since January, not able to measure etc. will our sofa fit?

We're raring to go and he's rearing to leave, but my husband is shielding and the owner is elderly too, so it's still on hold.

Can't wait!

Kate54 Thu 14-May-20 09:45:37

Molli don’t mean to be intrusive but is there a reason, other than fear, that your daughter hasn’t been out for so long? If you’re so upset about not seeing her, then a meet-up sounds essential to me. This ia a balancing act, especially now, and our mental health needs are as important as our physical needs.

Justanotherwannabe Thu 14-May-20 09:45:54

* raring to leave!

Ju123 Thu 14-May-20 09:57:59

Molli I feel for you. I miss my dd and gd and seem to be in tears every day. Your daughter is obviously very fearful. I wish I could think of the right thing to say to make you feel better