Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone been cutting their hair

(81 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 15-May-20 17:18:38

Well I did this afternoon chop, chop, chop, couldn’t wait for my DH to do it, just got the comb after I had washed and blow dried it, the ends were scraggly so I thought, I’m having you, and off I went quite enjoyed doing the sides and fringe, but of course the back is left straggly now, so I’m going to have to wait for my DH to do that after all.

MissAdventure Sat 16-May-20 09:44:43

grin

shysal Sat 16-May-20 09:45:55

I am going to add a few red streaks to my dark brown hair when I have cut it. I have had the non-permanent dye for some time, and I was pleased with the results when I did it before, when a few other GNetters also did theirs in various bright colours.

MissAdventure Sat 16-May-20 09:48:57

For people with longer hair, there is the technique of tying it into a high ponytail, then just cutting straight across the end of the tail.

It layers all of your hair.

Notsooldat75 Sat 16-May-20 10:04:37

I’m favouring the Afghan Hound look at the moment. Quite like it actually.

lovebooks Sat 16-May-20 10:11:20

Having reluctantly - because I don't find it a pleasant experience - used hairdressers and then corrected the cut myself - I have now stopped permanently, and my hair has never looked so good or so manageable! It was the destructive blow-drying, plus the fact that if you wet hair it straightens, so becomes easier to cut, and if you blow-dry afterwards you can always make the result look good. I have very slightly wavy hair, and I've now discovered that if I let it do whatever it wants and then trim, it cooperates beautifully.

Irenelily Sat 16-May-20 10:17:00

I trim my fringe, rest I use a brush and reasonably successfullyget the ends to go under. Today my hairdresser s leaving my colour, and full instructions outside the door! I’ll leave the money under a flower pot!! Like the old days when I always coloured my own hair - couldn’t afford the hair dresser!

weenanni59 Sat 16-May-20 10:24:34

I’ve been cutting mine and coloured it too ... on a zoom meeting I was asked how I had managed to get a hairdresser so I might keep it up and save some money ?

Riggie Sat 16-May-20 10:31:12

Did my fringe last week. Was cautious and just did a bit but at least I can wear it as a fringe rather than having to sweep it back.
I had a longish bob anyway so am happy enough to let the rest get longer so I can tie it uo without bits falling out.

JaneRn Sat 16-May-20 10:39:08

I have a piece of hair which should be swept to one side but because of increasing length is rapidly turning into a Claudia Winkelman fringe which is a health hazard as I have to keep touching my face to sweep it back! I shall have to be brave soon and get out some sharp scissors as it is driving me mad.

Davida1968 Sat 16-May-20 10:41:05

OMG there's no way I'd let my DH near my hair with scissors! (He has many wonderful qualities/skills, but hair-cutting isn't one of them.) I cut my own fringe, and my "bob" is simply growing longer. I like it and will keep it longer after shutdown finishes. It's so easy now, to put it into a tidy "ponytail" when I'm busy.

BBbevan Sat 16-May-20 10:48:56

Norstat If he was coming to NE London you wouldn’t stand a chance. My DS, DiL and 2 DGDs live there and as we haven’t seen them in the flesh since before Christmas , he would go there first. Since they have all had the dreaded lurgy ,it might be safe to visit. Perhaps an evening haircut might be in order, with cocoa and a sandwich before he heads down the M4.

Juicylucy Sat 16-May-20 10:50:38

You ladies are very brave. I have very thick hair to my shoulders I would never attempt to trim it, it just wouldn’t bode well.
I’ve just coloured it myself far to much grey to keep using root touch up, but I think I’ll grow it and wait for my hairdresser to open.

GlamGran59 Sat 16-May-20 10:54:36

My sister used an ikea bag clip to get a clean cut on her fringe.

annecordelia Sat 16-May-20 11:26:40

I do have very fine, short hair anyway, but I have shaved it all off twice so far during the lockdown, to about 3mm all over haha

gillyknits Sat 16-May-20 11:32:39

Another Judy Dench haircut here. Shorter hair is much harder to cut but be brave ! I bought a razor comb from Amazon and used that to thin it out (my hair is incredibly thick) Then I cut the rest whist wet. Just couldn’t manage to get it level at the back. My DH plucked up courage and nibbled at it with the scissors until it was straight.

Froglady Sat 16-May-20 11:35:47

I think either today or tomorrow the kitchen scissors will be coming out and I'll cut the front bit as it's too much now and heavy with it.

Theoddbird Sat 16-May-20 11:37:05

My hair is at impossible to manage length now...normally layered and shortage. I manage it by tying scarves round. It keeps it tidy and adds a certain something....not sure what. I won't attempt cutting since I did once and hairdresser showed me what I had done to the back....never again.

red1 Sat 16-May-20 11:48:29

yes, i used to be a hairdresser! how do i cut the back? 3 way mirror! if youve never cut hair before its scary, there are some good youtube videos, take your time!

Craftycat Sat 16-May-20 11:57:27

I'm not try cutting my hair! I did it once years ago ( just my fringe) & it looked awful.
Luckily my hairdresser emailed yesterday to say she would soon be up & running again- she does it from her own home & is a friend anyway so hopefully I will look respectable again soon( says she peering through fringe).

QuaintIrene Sat 16-May-20 12:02:56

Yes, this morning. The lovely pink fringe is nearly gone.
Never mind, I fancy turquoise next time, whenever that will be !

MumsyDeer Sat 16-May-20 12:05:41

As someone who has had serious hair issues for some years due to my husband’s death, health issues, etc I had only just “come out” by ditching the wigs, avoiding hairdressers (bad experiences) and using a barber who was sensitive about my hair & gave me the shortest haircut I’ve had in years! The result was both amazing and cheap. With lockdown I’m just not that brave to use the dog clippers on it and as I live alone there’s no one to share the responsibility and indeed the blame if it goes wrong ?

icanhandthemback Sat 16-May-20 12:06:48

I did mine and I am quite pleased with the result all things considered. Mind you, my husband quite often does mine as I never remember to book a hairdresser's appointment.

QuaintIrene Sat 16-May-20 12:30:22

MumsyDear I shaved my head, apart from the front where I kept a heavy fringe. I don’t know if dog clippers are the same, but I used men’s clippers. Go against the growth.
So upwards at the back and follow the angle the hair grows at the sides. At the crown go in from where you see and feel.
It just takes a couple of times practice, honestly.
Any disasters, that can’t be that bad will soon grow out until you can give yourself a nifty trim with your eyes closed.
I would still do it, the best haircut that suited me at the time. Not now my face is too fat.
?

Tinker18 Sat 16-May-20 12:55:06

I've cut my own hair for the past 9 years. Its long though so that's easier. It saves a fortune!

patlan45 Sat 16-May-20 13:01:47

I've been cutting my own hair for years now because I hate going to a hairdresser. I have very fine, straight hair which never looks brilliant no matter what I do. However, after many bad experiences at hairdressers, I decided I might as well try cutting it myself as I didn't think I could do any worse. I now know the basic shape and style I want so just do it myself. I doubt anyone would know because it looks ok. Not fantastic but ok.