Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(64 Posts)
12Michael Sat 16-May-20 06:08:16

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dry but with a grey sky over Brackley this morning.
Today for me , nothing much ,and planning on my usual Chinese Take Away , 2 courses .
Mind you with this lockdown, I find myself snacking between meals for and my weight varying slightly each day.
But also under normal circumstances I would have been having my bi annual diabetes check .
Take Care
Mick

kittylester Sat 16-May-20 08:09:53

Morning all from North Leicestershire where, as dragonfly says, it looks as though it could go either way.

I talked to 2 friends yesterday who are struggling at the moment. Its horrid to not be able to see them for a proper chat.

Off to deliver some stuff to DS2 - I've not seen him for ages so am looking forward to seeing him and maybe his boys!

A little gardening and tv watching later followed by home made ginger beef and egg fried rice.

Welcome billericaylady, one of my honorary daughters lives in Billericay!

cornergran Sat 16-May-20 08:18:25

Morning Mick, morning All. Light cloud over our corner of Somerset. Beginning to modify our filing system today. One of those things that seemed a good idea at the time. Have to do it as the new folders I ordered in a fit of optimism are sitting looking at me. It does need to be more user friendly and I will be pleased when it’s done if not during the process . grin Mr C spotted something else he can paint. hmm, so well both be occupied. Good to see you billericaylady. Be gentle with yourselves everyone, especially those finding life an uphill struggle.

Grammaretto Sat 16-May-20 08:41:42

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders where it's cool and dry. I'm excited to be inviting a friend for a cup of tea in my lockdown garden this morning. She will only come if it's dry. She is usually a hands-on grannie like a lot of you and will be feeling the separation.
Hello to Billericay lady. Surely the clue is in the name? It's Essex.

I also get excited by the bin collections Gilly

Hoping you all enjoy your Saturday and Marydoll your cake.

harrigran Sat 16-May-20 08:45:35

Good morning from a sunny but windy NE.
Dreamt about GC, eldest was standing in my kitchen asking why I hadn't been to see them for ages. I then had that shock, horror moment when I realised that I had a lounge full of people not social distancing shock
A quiet day for us and probably not much TV, dredging the barrel now.
On Thursday I found a DVD of Charade starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn that was entertaining.
Thinking of you all.

Brunette10 Sat 16-May-20 08:48:20

Good Morning from a dull Fife, I hope it brightens up later. First time I have wakened during this time and wanting to do something a wee bit different to what Ive been doing these last 8 weeks. Heavens knows what that is going to be though. Will end up doing the same as every day but maybe will move them around a bit wink Marydoll glad you had a good birthday and one you will never forget for varying reasons, nice to know people care. Welcome all the newbies here on the GM thread, it's getting very busy. DD missing her hair being done like us all said she would maybe trying dying it pink, OMG I hope she is kidding me, time will tell. Anyway thinking of everyone feeling a bit down, with troubles and anxieties, keep your chin up.

NfkDumpling Sat 16-May-20 08:49:39

Morning All

The sun is just ‘burning through’ here in the north of Norfolk.

Nothing planned for today, although DD2 and family may call round to swop plants. We’ve grown different stuff from seed (tomatoes, beans, chillies, etc). The front garden dance of putting stuff down, retreating, picking stuff up retreating, dozy doe.

Puzzler61 Sat 16-May-20 08:52:32

Good morning from Worcs. Dull but it’s promising a bit of sun this afternoon so we’ll go for a walk near the river. Floods completely gone now and hard to believe how high the river was in Feb/March.
May venture out to an RHS or Garden centre for some bedding flowers. If we’re going to be home all summer I’ll make the garden as interesting and colourful as possible.
Our Cornwall cottage holiday is definitely off next month.

Wishing all a wobble-free, sage Saturday and hope you enjoy your takeaways, picnics, afternoon teas etc.
Small pleasures to be savoured ?

Puzzler61 Sat 16-May-20 08:53:40

Safe* (not sage)

Anniebach Sat 16-May-20 08:54:44

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Urmstongran Sat 16-May-20 08:58:13

My knowledge of geography is pretty rubbish. I thought Billericay was in Ireland ‼️
??

Greyduster Sat 16-May-20 09:02:19

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Cloudy and cool in South Yorkshire this morning. A bit of light cleaning, but other than that, no plans. We had our usual local walk yesterday and, as I suspected, there were far fewer folk around to avoid - they had obviously all jumped into their cars and gone further afield! We skirted the golf course and expected to see golfers but the course was still shut. Quite eerie, an empty golf course.
Welcome Billericaylady; lived in Essex for a while - happy memories. Have a good safe day, folks!

Nortsat Sat 16-May-20 09:05:45

Good morning Mick and the GM team from a rather grey east London.

I am still feeling jaded about shielding (week 7 of 12). I had another letter and an email from the NHS reminding me not to leave the house until 30th June. I know ... I know.
There was an item on Ch4 News last night, from inside an intensive care unit, showing the struggle of one brave man, after coming off a respirator. My goodness, what a journey to rebuild his life. It made me tearful and it made me think of Mr Gillybob and his journey, too.

I Zoomed with a friend but she was a bit low too, so we didn’t really help each other ...
On line shop to sort out today. Steak and salad for supper and a glass of Malbec. Hopefully I’ll find a nice film on Amazon Prime for us to watch.

Have a good day all. Welcome Billericaylady, good wishes to all who need them and ‘let’s be careful out there’.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 16-May-20 09:11:34

Morning all from South Notts where the weather isn't really doing anything.
Ventured out early for a newspaper and wore my homemade facemask for the first time as they've been recommended. I wouldn't like to wear one for too long as it's a bit claustrophobic. However, the alternative of getting the virus is worse.
May mow the lawn later and have simple meals as I've put weight on during the lockdown and need to lose it.
Hope all is well with everyone.

Lins1066 Sat 16-May-20 09:13:45

Good Morning Mick and all from a sunny S Welsh coast, it feels warmer today.
Welcome to the new posters.
We are having a fruit and veg delivery from a local shop this morning, have had one every week since lockdown and the quality is excellent.
Homemade Spag Bol from the freezer later.
Have a safe day everyone and ? for all who are struggling in these strange times.

SusieB50 Sat 16-May-20 09:16:11

Good morning everyone from a cloudy East London . I enjoyed seeing my daughter in the park yesterday . My SiL played football with the DGC a bit further away , it’s crazy really as my DS also pitched with the other GDC co- incidentally as they live 5 minutes away and visit daily . So we all stood in separate groups chatting . All four DGD stood miles away from each other awkwardly. So sad . As DD said crazy, as she is now allowed to work as a childminder what is the difference ?. The twins and youngest DGS all have birthdays at the end of May and also my D-iL , maybe we can have socially distanced picnics ! Today going to try and buy some large flower pots for some extra tomato plants that I have no room for . I hope the local hardware shop is open, he is only open for limited hours at the moment . DD has decided not to send youngest back to nursery in June . It is attached to the school which is a large 4 form each year . He is very shy but bright and articulate. DD thinks he would find the situation he would go back into would be too stressful . She has early years teaching experience so don’t think he will miss out but he is very shy . His sister is not in the age group to go back which would cause issues too . I personally think just year 6 should go back first, although I understand the concerns regarding early years education is vital , maybe mornings or afternoons only for reception in very small groups. Very difficult as I hear this morning the R rate has gone up .

Grandmafrench Sat 16-May-20 09:16:47

Morning everyone from a warm but cloudy but sunny (later) S of France.

Got very excited yesterday evening. Town Hall sent us a text announcing that the beaches are open. Mmmm, bit different from your beach I should think, Gingster.

Open but only to walk or run !

That’s the smidgen of good news, slightly spoiled by ‘important information’........no sitting, no sunbathing, no picnics, no dogs, no BBQ’s, no games. All other rules, like social distancing (which sometimes translates as to hell with that!) masks, and no handshaking must apply. And access only between 8am and 8pm.

No good for me because we won’t take our dogs and will then find that there are dogs - and I shall be so angry and will end up on the naughty step! So, that’s a thanks but no thanks from me.

Envious of the Grans seeing DC’s or DGC’s. Ours are at least a plane trip away and all travel is so unreliable at present, we have no idea as to when we can go to the UK or they could come here. Ah well! We have to be grown up about it all......as long as everyone is well and upright, that’s really all that matters.

Have the best day being content with bits of nothing and some laughter here and there. To all who feel a wobble threatening, to all who are unwell or sad, enormous hugs from across
la Manche ? ??. Happy Saturday to all and keep safe. x

GrannyGravy13 Sat 16-May-20 09:18:26

Good morning Mick and all x

Welcome billericaylady I am not far from you (if you do live in Billericay that is ?)

Cloudy here in S E Essex, how are your seagulls Sar53

No plans for the day, I may persuade Mr.Gravy to go to our local RHS garden shop for plants, but I think his answer will be surely not at the weekend ?

We have a Morrisons delivery tomorrow and the order has been edited at least twice a day every day, it's a relief to know that it's now to late to change it again!!!

Marydoll I may bake an apple cake later?

Urmstongran and Bellasnana enjoy your warm sunshine.

Gillybob please fill in Barclays questionnaire, I filled out one for M & S with some very unflattering comments, they emailed me within 5 hours asked for my phone number and immediately rang me to rectify my problem - you never know it might help your situation.

Keep safe and well folks ?

Justwidowed Sat 16-May-20 09:34:40

Morning everyone from a cloudy Lancashire.MICK you're lucky to get a bi-annual check.In my neck of the woods its every 10 months.When I was a child it was every week!!!.Not doing much today,bake a few scones for myself and next door neighbours who have been so helpful.I couldn't have stayed in virtual isolation but for them.
Hope everyone has as good a day as possible .

Mythbirtthedragon Sat 16-May-20 09:38:00

Good morning from east London, cloudy this morning, warmer than other days and sun is attempting to break through. I certainly got hot playing tennis yesterday, sun cream will go into my kit bag now; further match arranged for next Friday. Still in bed, been reading the first Harry Potter book again plus DP brought me a cup of tea which is a rare treat. Hope to see DD and family at some point this weekend; GD2 rolled for the first time yesterday, just waiting for DD to catch it on camera. We did think she might be a New Year Day baby, given she was due 31st December last year but I didn’t get my new year glass until 6 days later as I was on constant alert waiting for her to be born. Hope you have a good day.

Susan56 Sat 16-May-20 10:01:21

Good morning from the Shropshire borders where the sun is back?

Laundry and last minute changes to the food delivery today then hopefully sitting in the garden reading.

Marydoll I had to video DH cutting up an apple as DGD was getting very cross with DD saying only grandpa cut an apple properly.

Have a good day everyone.Stay positive and stay safe.

Mapleleaf Sat 16-May-20 10:08:06

Good morning all,

Greyduster has our forecast spot on. The sky has brightened a little bit so now a lighter grey, and there's a stiff breeze. Hope it brightens up a bit more.

Did a bit more in the garden yesterday, along with getting the bedding washed and dried, so that is waiting to be ironed later today.

DH is busy re-painting the garden bench, and is making a very good job of it, too. It looks like new. He found an almost full tin of mahogany paint/stain in the shed, luckily.

Welcome to all new posters. ?

Hope you all manage to have a decent day. Take care and keep safe.

Rosalyn69 Sat 16-May-20 10:15:21

Good morning from Grey Gower.
I see bathroom cleaning in my future and ironing. Yesterday was a day of rest - my birthday which my small family made truly memorable.

Kalu Sat 16-May-20 10:17:29

Good morning all from a cloudy/bright mixed day in Glasgow.

Our gardener popped in last week to see how we were doing and the good news is he is working again so can start on the heavy work we can no longer do?

I am longing to walk along a beach whenever we are allowed, this is top of my list. I had a chuckle at ‘to hell with that’ *Grandmafrench’ this was accompanied by a shrug of the shoulders by our former neighbours in your neck of the woods no matter what the latest rule was?

A warm welcome billericaylady

I must do some ironing today before we have nothing to wear!
Deep joy!?

Best wishes for a good day to all.

CherryCezzy Sat 16-May-20 10:21:52

Good morning Mick and everyone. Blanket cloud here in the Gower this morning.

Hello Billericaylady, welcome to GN ?

No need for painkillers this morning, I am virtually pain free ?

Pleased that you have been "spoilt" for your birthday Marydoll, especially so in these strange times and you deserve it. ?

Urmstongran, you do make me laugh - property values can depend on where you live so does yours compare favourably, do tell ?

Do fill in the questionnaire Gillybob, I'd give them a piece of my mind with more than a bit of sarcasm and simple contempt constructive criticism.

The week of pain I've gone through has been more than counteracted by the wonderful surprises and good fortune we have had. First it was the beautiful Azalea from the boys, then yesterday when we were putting the washing on the line one of our neighbours came out to chat to us; stood outside our gate, and during the course of our conversation we learned that a shop fairly close to us had bedding plants and was taking orders and delivering. We phoned the shop and now not only do we have bedding plants we have Italian flour, eggs, local butter, icing sugar and cake decorations. Woohoo! Strange how these usually normal things have become so exciting.
This morning we also received two letters, real handwritten mail. I knew the handwriting on the front was my neice2's. Inside were individual handwritten laters from the two older boys, one funny and one asking us what we want to do together when lockdown is lifted. Oh, the mixture of sadness but great joy I feel from receiving them ?

Slow cooked Moroccan lamb ribs for dinner later and I'll bake a cake, probably chocolate ?

Take care everyone and be kind to yourselves ❤️

CherryCezzy Sat 16-May-20 10:24:41

Happy belated birthday Rosalyn ?