Gransnet forums

Chat

how is the lock down for you-a not too serious thread

(26 Posts)
petunia Mon 18-May-20 07:38:01

When lock down started, I was energised. I suddenly realised I had a lot of free time, something that is usually in very short supply.

I decluttered my wardrobes, sorted my shoes, reorganised the kitchen cupboards, cleaned bits of the house I normally drew a veil over (whispers-under the bed). Every inch of the house was examined, cleaned and made tidy. Once the fine weather started I tackled the garden. Dug, weeded, planted seeds, attacked the shed. We even managed a major decorating job.

Now those jobs are done and two things struck me.

One, many of the people I know have used this time to learn a new skill, all be it online. They have been doing Zoom exercise classes or yoga everyday.

And two, I have discovered the joy of indolence. I can now easily wile away half a day flitting from Gransnet to Pinterest, the newspapers and Mumsnet on my laptop. But at the same time multitasking. That is drinking coffee and eating biscuits.

So once this is over, my friends will emerge slender and relaxed, serene and lovely. I will come out the other end chubby, rotund and bleary eyed. And unruly hair.

What did you do during the lock down?

Katyj Mon 18-May-20 07:53:54

Exactly the same as you Petunia, apart from my friends have all done the same as me.I don’t know anyone that’s learning a new skill or exercising ?

tanith Mon 18-May-20 07:59:17

I’ve walked more, actually a lot more and done Joe Wicks video every morning. Also eaten more and watched a screen without feeling I’m whiling away my life.

Puzzler61 Mon 18-May-20 08:03:26

I’ve spent two years adapting to a slower rhythm to life since I retired from work, so I definitely didn’t let lockdown energise me.

I do most of the jobs you’ve mentioned petunia but I intersperse them with a drink and a sit down, a read of something on my I-pad, spend 30 mins on Sodoku’s, have a game of online Scrabble, phone someone for a chat, go for a walk, make some online buys, or play with the cat.

Before you know it, it’s time to rustle up our evening meal.
The days pass by in quite a relaxed way I’m happy to say ?

Puzzler61 Mon 18-May-20 08:04:29

New skills learnt - 0.

BlueBelle Mon 18-May-20 08:33:39

Learnt nothing I m afraid, I ve tried to but achieved little I am much better learning in a group with a bit of gentle competition I ve painted a few things, done lots of gardening but none of it makes up for social contact, until I can go back to my volunteering work I cannot get any enthusiasm As I don’t feel I m of any use doing bits and pieces for myself holds no excitement doing things for others does, but the others are all shut out of my life and although I m still trying through the net there is no actually satisfaction there any more

Maggiemaybe Mon 18-May-20 08:51:30

I’ve done it back to front. I discovered the joys of indolence from day 1, and spent my days being very Zen, reading in the garden, watching TV, contemplating my navel, doing the odd jigsaw and a spot of yoga

Late in the day, I’ve gone a bit lockdown mad. I’m washing duvets and pillows, exercising like a woman possessed. I’m ruthlessly sorting through cupboards everywhere and chucking out souvenirs and all the duplicated holiday photos (I have no idea why I ever kept napkins and coach tickets and don’t even know where half those views are). There are piles of “stuff” on the floors in every room that I’ve to kick out of the way to do my Fabulous at (ahem) 50 workouts. There are currently 4 huge bags of paper in the hall waiting for recycling day, and two overflowing with photos and glittery greetings cards that won’t fit in the bin.

To add to it, I’ve gone a bit backwoodsy with all the foraging and crafty activities. Yesterday I made lettuce soup (quite edible), courgette crisps that didn’t, dandelion honey that hasn’t set. I’ll be taking up the banjo next.

Witzend Mon 18-May-20 08:56:22

One thing I certainly haven’t done is go mad with cleaning/tidying/decluttering - we’ve done quite a bit of that last over the past few years anyway, and although we’re far from being minimalists, we’re not hoarders either.

I’ve done a lot of knitting - even I can’t read all day! - and more than usual meal planning, to use up what we have. We only have a small garden but I’ve sown seeds and have been nurturing my ‘babies’.

Apart from being unable to see family/grandchildren, which I’m longing to be able to do (properly, with cuddles) TBH I can’t say it’s bothered me much at all.

MawB Mon 18-May-20 08:57:24

Exactly like you Petunia only the farthest I got was 1 knicker drawer and cleaning out the freezer.
Sloth set in very rapidly, my Kindle book consumption is ridiculous (all light and undemanding) and other than looking out the summer clothes - none of which fit - I have done nowt
I have also ignored all the tedious “10 most meaningful books/album covers/famous paintings/pictures of far flung places” stuff on Facebook plus a swathe of quizzes. Doing OK!

Hetty58 Mon 18-May-20 09:05:28

petunia, I may well have really intended to do all those things - but I realised exactly why they don't get done.

It's not a lack of time or skills, it's a total lack of motivation and interest.

Apart from the garden (I always enjoy gardening) they remain unchanged. I've been reading a lot in all my 'spare' time, going for longer walks and eating for England!

Iam64 Mon 18-May-20 09:10:02

I've discovered I can enjoy a much slower pace of life. The first week, I joined the let's clean out the cupboards. That soon became much less interesting than weeding the garden. I enjoy cooking and eating, I'm now baking and enjoying apple pie and ice cream (the ice cream delivered by the farm who bring milk, eggs and butter). Yes, the jeans I've worn for 10 years or more are all tight now.
Cupboards remain cluttered, windows need cleaning but I'm sewing happily.

petunia Mon 18-May-20 09:31:57

what is it with eating??? food seems to dominate my life-meal planning, list making,organising it, cooking it, eating it-sometimes with wines. food has become major significance.

is it some deep seated primeval instinct where food supplies are not so readily available and we switch to survival mode

henetha Mon 18-May-20 11:13:35

It's not so very different from my everyday life anyway.
I spend a lot of time alone, partly by choice. And I've been having grocery deliveries for over 3 years, so nothing new there.
I did find it hard not to go anywhere at first, but now that we are allowed to drive elsewhere for exercise that's fine.
I've spent a lot of time in the garden, more than usual, but really enjoyed it.
But I do overwhelmingly miss my family.

Elizabeth1 Tue 19-May-20 18:31:21

I’ve discovered I’ve got determination since recovering from having a stroke a year ago I’m not going to let it beat me it’s been a very hard journey however I’m getting better every day thanks to my many friends my family my DH and my lovely Gransnet ladies this virus isn’t getting me down I’ve more important things to be doing and thinking about. My recovery is almost in parallel to the virus what a thing to say but it’s how I feel and I feel I’m winning smile

MadCatWoman1 Tue 19-May-20 19:02:36

For the first 5 or 6 weeks, I cleared out cupboards, painted the kitchen, organised wardrobes, did some gardening, washed curtains and blinds.

Now, I'm feeling apathetic and idle.

Blinko Tue 19-May-20 19:06:03

For us it's been an opportunity to sidestep the round of activities we filled our days with until lock down. Peace and quiet and a chance to connect with nature and each other.

Being retired, we are in the fortunate position of not worrying about an income, a job, the mortgage, the offspring (all of whom 'sprung' long ago).

Our home has become our little oasis.

gulligranny Tue 19-May-20 20:20:43

Almost since the start of lockdown I've been poleaxed by a horribly painful inflamed hamstring, which in its turn has stirred up a nasty little area of arthritis in what I fondly used to think was my "good" knee. Hardly been able to move, so no cupboards cleared, no gardening done, very little in the way of housework ... read a lot of books, though, and watched a lot of tv.

I have come to the conclusion that I could laze about for Britain, so if that's ever included in the Olympics I am a shoe-in for the gold medal.

Katyj Wed 20-May-20 05:15:56

Elizabeth. Well done on your recovery it’s not an easy road , but with your determination you’ll get there. All the best to you flowers

Chewbacca Wed 20-May-20 05:42:15

My only achievements have been erecting a small greenhouse myself and setting off some vegetable plants and making a reasonably attractive garden out of the wilderness it was when I bought it a year ago. But I can't be bothered cooking a meal just for myself and so eat ding ding meals or rubbish. Exercise is becoming increasingly difficult because my knees are so painful now and the scheduled knee op is obviously deferred. Inertia has set in. sad

Washerwoman Wed 20-May-20 07:17:07

It's been a lockdown of 3 parts. Firstly I was fit healthy and doing long walks and a big tidy up of the garden.I was worried wether DHs relatively new business, and our main source of income, would survive. And not bring able to help with DCG and DD working on an ICU unit.I think the worry got channelled into lots of activity.
Then I got the virus and had no choice but to stop completely so a whole month of sleep,reading,staring into space and at the birds.
Now it's phase three.Regaining energy and delighted to meet DDs and friends individually for distanced walks.Still a list of jobs to complete -thinking piles of photos to sort-but not in a rush to do anything.And not particularly worried about anything and sleeping better than I have in years.I need to get back to my longer walks though because in common with many of you food and thoughts of what to eat next predominate!

Elizabeth1 Wed 20-May-20 07:40:23

katyjthank you so much for your support have a good day it’s supposed to be a warm day today yesterday was nice and hot in the evening

Daisymae Wed 20-May-20 09:54:04

It's hot here already so have walked dog. I did a bit of tidying up at the beginning but things have gone to pot since. Well no one is going to be popping in anytime soon. I am thinking of just leaving it and getting a cleaner in for a day at the end of this. ?wink

PamelaJ1 Wed 20-May-20 11:07:38

Like many of you I’ve washed cleaned and decluttered.

As I normally work I am very unused to have TIME so I’ve loved it. My DH has been decorating, he seems to think I can’t paint and I’m certainly not going to enlighten him! In fact there is quite a list of things that I can’t do!

Just as I was wondering what I was going to do next our leader said I could play tennis so that’s what I’m doing. Today I’ve a family zoom quiz at 12. We have it at that time so the family in Qatar, Japan and Australia can join in. It’s not very intellectual but fun.

Washerwoman, do you know how you contracted the dreaded CV.? Glad you are getting better. There was a thread the other day started by someone who has got it and was seeking reassurance. Naturally I can’t remember the title but if I come across it I’ll? I’ll what? Don’t know. ? ignore me.

Purplepixie Wed 20-May-20 11:33:26

I was already retired when this lock down came along so I just glided into it like a hippo!

No extra cleaning as the spiders would go nuts - their home being invaded!
DH now does the shopping as I couldn’t possible stay away from people and stay safe - how I got through life I will never know!
No musical instrument learned as I once promised myself - I have to get a set of bagpipes and bin the tambourine.
I have done a lot more cooking - DH and DS are now on diets of Rennies!
The craft boxes have been sorted and now I am back to doing a bit of embroidery - my mam is turning in her grave seeing what rubbish I can produce!
Gardening - mmmm the birds love the weeds!

Anything else and I think I will need to top up my G&T and head for the hills to watch Classic Coronation street from the safety of my bed.

Has the lockdown affected me - YES I AM MAD!!! But in a nice way!
Stay safe and sane and don’t overdo it! Pass the chocolates! wine

Maggiemaybe Wed 20-May-20 13:31:46

I keep finding duvets, long forgotten duvets in bin bags in the dark recesses of various cupboards. I climbed up on a chair today to get what I thought was a bag of summer clothes from the top of the airing cupboard and hey, another duvet and a pillow! Fortunately we have a charity nearby who take bedding for homeless people moving into their first homes, so they're all getting washed and bagged up ready to take there after lockdown. The weather helps. smile