Gransnet forums

Chat

Two Years Ago Today....

(81 Posts)
Calendargirl Tue 19-May-20 06:40:05

It was ‘that’ wedding.

Whatever your views on Royal Weddings, I think that most would agree it was a spectacular day.
The glorious weather, the beautiful setting, the outfits, the ceremony, the music, the carriage ride....

So as H&M’s Cotton Anniversary dawns, just over 100 short weeks since that day, I wonder what they are thinking?

Did they visualise they would be the proud parents of a baby boy?
Probably.

Did they think they would be living in L.A., not London?
Probably not.

Did they envisage they would have no royal role to speak of, and little (I assume), contact with the Royal family?
Who knows.

Are they as happy as they seemed to be that day?
?

Before anyone says, not another H&M thread, I thought it would be a change from all the CV ones, serious though it is.

rosenoir Tue 19-May-20 11:02:14

I just love the way people on here think they know them,how they feel ,what they eat and what they think.

grannypiper Tue 19-May-20 11:06:12

She knew exactly where she would be living, she had it all planned from the get go

TrendyNannie6 Tue 19-May-20 11:09:06

Agree Rosenoir yawn

Craftycat Tue 19-May-20 11:13:00

I've said it before & here goes again- I give it 2 years tops!
She knew what she wanted & has got it- he has lost his family & the respect of the British public.
I always liked him too. He was a great rugby fan- & that's good enough for me!

henetha Tue 19-May-20 11:14:51

I miss Harry and wish he would come back.

Daisymae Tue 19-May-20 11:20:39

Well it's lasted 2 years so I guess that you were wrong!

CarlyD7 Tue 19-May-20 11:21:17

I suspect that Harry has wanted out of his Royal life for a long time (he only really looked happy when he was in the army). Perhaps a lot of Meghan's charm for him was that she represented a way out; a way to live a different sort of life. I would put money on a bet that says that this was all planned from the start. They stayed here just long enough to establish her as a Royal but then it was time for Stage 2. I wish Good luck to them, as I would to any couple, but they are fast becoming just another pair of pointless celebrities.

Sparklefizz Tue 19-May-20 11:21:21

I liked Harry but I don't wish he would come back. I prefer not to keep coming across articles about their whining.

I loved their wedding, at the time I liked both of them, had high hopes of them working as a foursome with Kate and William. Now I've had enough. I don't read any press about them. I only answered this thread because I've got an idle moment waiting for someone to call me back. grin

sarahellenwhitney Tue 19-May-20 11:22:10

I sat through out the whole 'movie' as that is what, well for myself,it resembled.

Noreen3 Tue 19-May-20 11:26:52

I enjoyed watching their wedding on tv,as I've always like Harry.I remember Harry saying something about What Meghan wants,Meghan gets,I think he was just talking about a tiara.But this proved to be so true,she just didn't want to live here,she's an actress,so she could sound convincing if she was making little speeches about loving it here.I believe they are paying the money back for the house,but it could take 11 years.I wish he could have found a wife more like his brother's.

Aepgirl Tue 19-May-20 11:31:22

I went to Windsor to join the thousands of well-wishers and enjoy a glorious day.

What a disappointment now - how can M say she wasn’t accepted by the British? We accepted her as a woman we hoped would make our lovely Prince Harry happy - her past marriage and skin colour mattered not, but as one of her ‘friends’ said ‘she has always been a quitter’.

LondonMzFitz Tue 19-May-20 11:42:36

Blimey Aepgirl, read some of the comments on here - lots who didn't accept Meghan from the start - !!!!

I loved that day, watching the wedding, seeing celebs arrive (George Clooney!) and the fabulous frocks on guests. Meghan's Mum next to Prince Charles -yeah, great day!

And just a hint - if you aren't interested in the subject you really don't have to come on and read and comment.

Thanks for the post Calendargirl.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 19-May-20 11:43:04

Craftycat. I am sure you are right and what I find most 'disturbing' is the fact M not only distanced herself from her own kith and kin she has now pushed H in the same direction and away from his own family. I cannot see this marriage lasting .No home of their own. Are they and their child destined to wander, constantly on the move ?What? I question, will happen to the child should Harry throw in the towel.?

merlotgran Tue 19-May-20 11:43:46

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8331539/A-glimpse-inside-Tyler-Perrys-home-Prince-Harry-Meghan-Markles-rumoured-mansion.html

I don't think Frogmore Cottage was ever going to be Meghan's cup of tea! grin

chaffinch Tue 19-May-20 11:48:08

rosenoir

I suppose people coming on here and posting their opinions on Harry and Meghan is not so different to all the postings on the Coronavirus threads, about which most of us haven’t a clue really, but still we all like to have our say, whether relevant or not.

inishowen Tue 19-May-20 11:55:34

It was a beautiful wedding. I just hope they are happy as can be and will stay together forever.

maddyone Tue 19-May-20 12:27:04

I’m not confident that they’ll stay together forever.
If Meghan had no intention of living in the UK permanently, as some posters have suggested, I’d really like to know why she accepted such a huge and prestigious wedding, none of it at her expense. It was reported that Prince Charles and the public paid for it all.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 19-May-20 12:33:56

I thought they were treated appallingly by the British tabloids and their followers. They were just about able to have their beautiful Wedding, even if M’s father behaved like a twit. Then, it started. The thinly veiled references to her colour, her treatment of her family... various half siblings, who she hadn’t seen in years, came out of the woodwork. The tabloids just loved whipping up the frenzy. She wasn’t pregnant, the baby was bigger than it should be, she held it the wrong way... no wonder H reckoned he had had enough. Admittedly his mother was not the full picnic mentally, but there was no need for the media to chase her. And chase her they did until she died. So H really does not want the same thing to happen to M. It is such a shame. They would have been brilliant given the chance. But the made up stories about rifts with one or more members of the RF and other nonsense, made it impossible. I remember that lovely photo of the Queen and Philip with M’s mum, H and the new baby. The tabloids and certain of their followers are to blame for the whole debacle.

Phloembundle Tue 19-May-20 12:36:15

Out of sight, out of mind.

Anniebach Tue 19-May-20 12:40:29

I disagree about his mother being chased by the media until
she died. She tipped off the press when she needed the front
page.

Why leave a luxury apartment in the Ritz at night against the
advice of security and with full knowledge the paps were waiting outside.

If Harry thinks he is protecting his wife why do the same as his
mother and keep in the headlines.

JaneRn Tue 19-May-20 13:10:40

I gave this marriage 5 years at most. Time will tell.

Before he decided to renounce his Royal duties he should have reflected what happened to Edward V111 after he abdicated. The rest of his life was useless, trying to find a new role for himself and having to settle for the celebrity circuit, and gradually becoming less important there. Despite retaining their Royal titles - which in my opinion they no longer have any right to since they have opted not to be a member of the family any more - I think they will find they will in the end lose their appeal, and what then?
Meghan will be in her element, a second rate actress who is getting far more publicity than she could have ever imagined, but what will Harry have gained? He was incredibly rude and hurtful to the Queen, he has fallen out with his brother, and is having to endure life in an £18 million mansion which it has been reported they are paying no rent.
If Harry was upset by the British tabloids I think he will be horrified by the American papers.

Chookmama Tue 19-May-20 13:12:44

I didn’t watch the wedding as I was in Croatia for my daughter’s hen-do. Some of the girls stayed in to watch it but my friend and I (the two oldies!) and one or two others went out sightseeing. We enjoyed our own ‘royal’ wedding a couple of weeks later.

fluttERBY123 Tue 19-May-20 13:15:29

You said it for me lizbethann.

Sussexborn Tue 19-May-20 13:34:22

I’ve read recently that the UK papers are pussy cats compared to the US versions. They are now just another pair of D list celebrities wailing about invasions of privacy yet ensuring the press are around when it suits them.

Coronavirus has been an added complication for them as it’s made them even less relevant. In the UK flying drones/helicopters to take photographs is no longer permissible but in the US it’s fair game.

Interesting that if the female had been royalty and a male had isolated her in this way, there would have been an outcry at such abusive behaviour.

maddyone Tue 19-May-20 13:43:29

The papers treated Meghan no better and no worse than they treated Catherine or Camilla. ‘Waity Katie’ ‘Duchess Dolitte’ and ‘Doors to Manuel.’ And awful press about Camilla for years. It’s not nice at all, but why would Meghan be treated differently?
If anything, when Meghan first came to live over here, before they married, both the press and the public welcomed her and there was no bad press. However her own behaviour soon gave the press plenty of ammunition.