Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you firmly attached to your handbag?

(107 Posts)
FlyingHandbag Tue 19-May-20 22:04:01

Hi all,
I am absolutely superglued to my handbag at all times, I favour a medium sized top handle bag with lots of spaces. I am currently using a David Jones rose gold coloured one with beige handles and lots of spaces. I have severe chronic pain and am in bed a lot so it stays at the side of the bed and comes with me wherever I go. Sometimes I can't sleep because of the pain and will go downstairs to get something to eat and a latte or cup of tea (I usually have a pasta satchet that you make with hot water in a cup). I also am worried about it being stolen as I live on a busy road but I keep the bottom drawer of my tallboy empty to use against potential burglars (I am a very nervous person). My mother said it is unnecessary to carry my handbag everywhere. Do you do it?

gillybob Wed 20-May-20 08:15:44

I have a faithful old tan leather cross body that used to belong to my late mum. It’s seen better days but I use it almost every day and it means I can be hands free when out and about and it makes me feel close to my mum too. It’s most definitely NOT designer grin I think it came from Clark’s .

Maggiemaybe Wed 20-May-20 08:33:50

I’ve a rare old selection of accumulated handbags, but have only used maybe four of them over the past year. I always used to take a tote, cross body bag or yes, backpack, when I went out, always with canvas shopping bags in it as well as the phone, keys, cards, tissues, etc. I couldn’t fit it all in my pockets and certainly don’t want to bring any more plastic shopping bags home.

I’m finally in lockdown sorting mode, so guess the bag shelf should be my next target. I do hope the charity shops can cope once we come through this!

Rosalyn69 Wed 20-May-20 08:35:25

Welded to my wrist. I do have a bit of a thing about handbags and a small collection of “pieces”.

Maggiemaybe Wed 20-May-20 08:35:40

Clarks counts as designer in this house, gillybob. grin

Calendargirl Wed 20-May-20 08:40:05

Never fancied a rucksack, unless it’s one of those that you have at the front.
Years ago, DD found her rucksack with the zip undone and stuff had got lost, whether she had forgotten to fasten it or someone had undone it I don’t know.
When DH wears a rucksack on holiday, I’m always walking behind him checking it, to see if it’s ok.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 20-May-20 08:46:29

I spent ages looking for the perfect handbag and I think I found it. My last one was duck-egg blue but got very shabby so I ditched it in favour of one that is beige and fairly capacious without being too big.
It lives by the bedside (upstairs) when not in use.

Puzzler61 Wed 20-May-20 08:47:01

My friend had mobile phone stolen from her backpack too Calendargirl.
I’ve one bag and it’s made by Brakeburn, 30 quid from the local garden centre. Just the right size, waterproof, canvas handles and bird pattern in several colours so it goes with most everything.
If I was going to a wedding I’d buy a small bag to match the outfit.
Otherwise I’m happy with my bird bag.

Flyinghandbag my mum needed her bag by her side everywhere but she was an extremely anxious person. Not saying it’s a symptom, but could be seen as a ‘comfort’ habit?

gillybob Wed 20-May-20 08:47:17

In that case I have one or 2 pairs of “designer” shoes as well Maggiemaybe . grin

I once admired a handbag that my DDiL’s mum was carrying . Oh she said “this thing?” ......It’s a Mulberry but I’ve had this one for ages” (suggesting that there were a lot more newer ones where that came from) . Naughty I know but it prompted me to look it up on the inter web and when I saw how much it cost my eyes almost popped out of my head !

Jeez I could live on that for a few months ! grin

sodapop Wed 20-May-20 08:51:28

grin love it Maggiemaybe

Jaffacake2 Wed 20-May-20 09:09:35

Love my little leather rucksack without outside pockets so no-one can dip into it . Have it with me all the time as have to carry adrenaline injector pens for anaphylaxis plus inhaler. Also phone,keys money and all the other junk !
I was in holiday with a friend years ago and ended up having anaphylactic shock in the Italian mountains. Was helicoptered off to hospital unconscious and came round to find my handbag strapped to me on the stretcher. My friend told them it would be a comforter for me ,which was true.
My old mum always used to say " where's me bag ?! " and I have turned into her with the same call !

JuliaM Wed 20-May-20 09:21:58

I very rarely use a handbag except for special occasions, too much of a security risk in this day and age, they tend to advertise to any potential criminals around ' This is where I keep my valuables' . Likewise im not one for obviously expensive flashy Jewelery, for the same reasons.
Maybe I have been spooked rather by dealing with victims of crime in my previous job before I retired, I have also traveled to places where muggings are rife, and the knife rules, so dont take that risk by displaying my possesions like sweets in a candy shop to these criminals.
I ride a mobility scooter when out and about, and wear a jacket with many zipped pockets to hold my essential things like my phone, Debit card and tissues, I carry very little cash, most places accept contactless payments these days, so its mainly just a bit of change should I need to use a vending machine or car park. Likewise, I never leave any valuables in my car overnight, unlike some people who leave their work laptop, purse, or tool kit in full view of any passers by. I know that most people are honest and genuine, but it only takes one who.is desparate for a quick fix or is into other vice to upset someones life greatly, that is why I try to be so security minded!

kittylester Wed 20-May-20 09:31:15

A friend of mine always took her handbag to the bedroom with her at night but woke up to find a man rifling through it looking for her car keys.

She was head of a girl's school so guess who came off worst!

Yellowmellow Wed 20-May-20 09:41:09

Maybe when this Lockdown is over have a referral for some CBT. It will help you with the feeling of insecurity.

MawB Wed 20-May-20 09:43:26

That makes me realise I have not used a handbag for over 8 weeks!
I have several and used to change them regularly depending on what I was wearing or doing back in the day when I did anything(!)
Mum was a great collector of super posh handbags and looking back, I wonder what happened to many of them.
I have three of hers for sentimental value plus the handbag I had as part of my “going away outfit” (nearly 50 years ago)
I wish I had kept many of the bags I have owned, they would have surely come back into/gone out of/come back again into fashion!
I use crossbody bags now to keep my hands free and the prerequisite of any bag is that it should accommodate my iPad and have a separate pocket which I can access without undoing the whole thing for train tickets, bus passes etc.
Heigh ho, fat lot of use that is these days!

Chardy Wed 20-May-20 09:46:39

I've never been keen on handbags, (in recent years just used a rotation of linen totes) and since no-cash lockdown have shoved my debit card in my phone case, and my phone case in my pocket!

SueLindsey Wed 20-May-20 09:46:44

I use a backpack which I find easiest and safest. Am VERY attached to it though and sometimes have panicky dreams that I have lost it!

inishowen Wed 20-May-20 09:50:05

Hubs always says "do you really need your bag" when we're out somewhere. I was proved right on Monday when we had to take stuff to the local tip. I was asked for ID to prove we were local. I had my driving licence in my bag!

Hildagard Wed 20-May-20 09:50:30

Don’t take it with me at in these times just my phone and credit/debit card

Tea and cake Wed 20-May-20 09:51:31

Kittylester -love that! And I remember someone saying once to never tangle with old ladies!

missdeke Wed 20-May-20 09:52:12

To me a handbag is an unfortunate addition that I have to carry. I have to take certain medical supplies with me wherever I go so something capacious is needed. How I long for the days when I could just stick a few necessities in my pockets..........

patricia1958 Wed 20-May-20 09:52:13

Mine's hung on the bedroom door handle not bothered with it since lockdown started and like you I'm in a lot of pain all the time so when we can go out I don't think I will be doing I might 1 day throw all the rubbish in it out

Shoulddobetta Wed 20-May-20 09:57:36

I gave up handbags years ago, I favour bum bags (worn the English way, at the front). Now I know exactly where my phone, keys, credit cards at all times when I'm out and about. I actually have some quite trendy ones.
I also use a backpack for shopping etc

polyester57 Wed 20-May-20 09:58:12

I usually only have one handbag on the go, always a crossbody, smart enough to go almost anywhere. It holds everything I need and I couldn´t be bothered taking everything out every time. I even keep a spare pair of knickers in a side pocket (just in case!). The current handbag is a beautiful turquoise one, vegan, made of cork in Portugal, a Christmas present from my children. When it gets too tatty, usually after a couple of years, I replace it. When at home, it usually hangs on the back of a kitchen chair. I do have a black evening bag though that hasn´t been out for ages.

Janetashbolt Wed 20-May-20 10:01:36

My handbag is by my chair in the living room, empty. I am now walking to work, taking water and my lunch as well so am using a back pack, that's in my bedroom as I have to also take my phone charger to work and then use it home in the evening.

Esmerelda Wed 20-May-20 10:05:27

I never use a handbag these days, only when going out somewhere posh (like a hospitality suite at the races, ho ho). Pockets are good enough for everywhere else, even restaurants.