Gransnet forums

Chat

The most embarrassing moment of my life!

(131 Posts)
dontmindstayinghome Thu 21-May-20 11:35:33

Have you ever had one of those moments when you are so embarrassed that you just want to curl up and die?

Well, it has just happened to me!

I was sitting on the toilet when I realised the window cleaner was approaching the bathroom window. Too late to move.

The window was open but the blind was half way down so I sat very still in the hope that he wouldn't notice me.

No such luck, he shouted Hiya love, as he slammed the window shut whilst he cleaned it!

It gets worse....
when he finished the rest of the windows he came back to the bathroom, opened the window and shouted through - do you want to pay me now love?

Oh the shame!!

seadragon Fri 22-May-20 09:29:03

The usually chatty Veg Box chap barely greeted me and beat a hasty retreat one day, eyes cast down. It was only a wee while later I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. My 10th best bra was on full display. I had forgotten that I had partially disrobed to mitigate the oppressive Devon heat streaming through the kitchen window at my daughter's house. My relationship with the Riverford Farm chap was never the same again...

Kartush Fri 22-May-20 09:30:26

ours was in Italy, we were staying in a hotel shaped in a square with a courtyard in the middle. On our last night it was hot so we left the shutters open, directly across the courtyard was a young couple, windows open light on, enjoying a remarkably vigorous and inventive Evening of passion. We weren’t game enough to get out of bed and close the shutters in case they saw us so we just lay there looking at the walls the ceiling, anything but the window. The worst bit...guess who was sitting at our table for breakfast next morning

Patticake123 Fri 22-May-20 09:37:53

That’s started my day with a smile. My own contribution involves a toilet. I was on my way into London on a virgin train, popped to the loo, was seated and in mid stream when the door shot open. I couldn’t reach the handle to shut the door, just had to complete my business in full view. This is the bit that still makes me giggle though, I had a headscarf around my neck and to disguise myself I wound it around my face, bandit style as I crept back to my seat hoping I wouldn’t be recognised!

Dillonsgranma Fri 22-May-20 09:42:06

Oh wonderful ????

kazziecookie Fri 22-May-20 09:43:47

Oh ‘Don’tmindstayingathome’ that has made my day smile
I laughed out loud

HurdyGurdy Fri 22-May-20 09:45:26

At primary school my best friend was the headmaster's daughter. I was at her house one day and needed the toilet. Their house had a dog leg staircase with the toilet in front of the top flight.

I rounded the bend in the stairs, to find the toilet door open, and the headmaster of my school sitting on the toilet, reading a Beano/Dandy comic. He saw me and just said hello and shut the door.

Second most embarrassing moment was about 10 years later, in my first secretarial role. My new Australian boss gave me a tour of the offices and finished by telling me that if I ever needed Durex he always kept some in his desk drawer. I was mortified.

I later found out that in Australia, Durex is a brand name for sellotape

GrammarGrandma Fri 22-May-20 09:45:34

Teenager, white jeans, tampon fail - enough said.

Flakesdayout Fri 22-May-20 09:47:55

Gosh I havent laughed like that for a long time. Thank you all so much.

WeeGranny178 Fri 22-May-20 09:47:58

Thanks everyone for making my day a lot more cheerful ??

Patticake123 Fri 22-May-20 09:48:16

Brilliant. I’m laughing like a drain! ?

pat9 Fri 22-May-20 09:56:23

I was with a friend visiting his brother and sister-in-law who I had never met before and when I visited the toilet, the handle came off

olliebeak Fri 22-May-20 10:01:03

Thank you everybody for the laughs this morning!

My own story also involves 'travelling' - but this time on a National Express Bus going from Manchester to Glasgow.

We normally sit towards the back of the bus - due to me and my 'urgent toilet needs' - but on this occasion, all the rear seats had already been 'grabbed' by sleepy-headed students wanting to have a full seat to themselves. So we sat about a quarter of the way along the bus. When my need arose, I looked at the 'toilet free/in use indicator' showing that it was occupied.

After a few minutes, it showed free so I began the walk - but one of the students beat me to it. I stayed on my feet, to prevent any more queue jumpers - and also because any further sitting down/getting up would increase my urgency.

When he came out of the toilet, I made my desperately, determined move - slammed the door shut, lowered underwear and squatted down in relief. Unfortunately, at that moment the driver 'slammed on his brakes' and the toilet door slid open very abruptly - in my haste, I hadn't closed the toilet door handle securely - aaaarghhhh.

Right across the aisle - level with the door - was the face of the student who had 'queue jumped me'.

Normally it would have been my other half sitting there - and he would have just laughed and put his hand to the door from outside. I could barely reach the door with my hand to slide it back - but had to sit there with one hand on it until I was able to stand-up (reduced mobility) one-handed, regain balance, lock door, readjust clothing and then leave ................. without making eye contact with rather handsome young male student. Oh the Walk of Shame!

DanniRae Fri 22-May-20 10:01:44

This is a great thread - thanks to all of you for making me laugh so much! x

Leah50 Fri 22-May-20 10:02:01

Didn't happen to me but my sister. I walked with her small daughter in her buggy, as my sister was going for an office job interview. She's looking very corporate in smart short-skirt suit & stilettos as we pass a line of male factory workers enjoying their tea-break in the sunshine. Amidst the whistles & admiring glances she stepped nimbly over a little wall to cut off the pavement corner, only to fall flat on her face into a foot deep gap the other side. Poor girl arrived bloodied & bruised for the interview, but got the job.

Rosiebee Fri 22-May-20 10:03:24

I was getting ready to go to work, already a bit late, when I saw that my black top had a stain on it. Ironed a white top and realised I would have to change my black bra. Rushed upstairs and flung my bra off as I got into the bedroom. Behind our house was another one being built. As my bra came off, and I'm a well endowed lady, I locked eyes with one of the builders who was leaning against a pile of bricks. Mortification. I tried to carry on as if nothing had happened, deliberately trying to look as if I was tidying the bedroom. The next morning and several after, he was in exactly the same position with a smirk on his face. blush blush

Alishka Fri 22-May-20 10:08:15

The Headmaster....on the loo...reading the Beano/Dandy...omg! (wipes away tears of laughter)
But he also was a proponent of the Style it Out School of Etiquette, wasn't he?grin

JadeOlivia Fri 22-May-20 10:08:28

My mother used to say " They've always seen worse" ....be it a doctor, plumber ....they give people a laugh for a moment ( at the same time everyone is thinking " glad that's not me " and then they are forgotten about ......

Jonah Fri 22-May-20 10:10:51

Gillybob, I had the same most embarrassing moment. Left husband talking to my schoolfriend (who was also having radiotherapy) went in for rads, came out and as I say 'bye' I notice my yesterday's knickers half out of my trousers. I died with shame. Kept hoping she thought it was a black sock.

Lynmary Fri 22-May-20 10:23:44

Just to thank you all for the belly laugh I've had this morning! It's nice to know I am normal and these things don't only happen to me! Thanks to you all for brightening my day.

Craftycat Fri 22-May-20 10:26:42

Do you remember paper knickers?
They were quite popular in the mid 60's for some reason.
I had a hot date with a boy I had fancied for ages & he took me to a country pub where we sat on a lower lever bit with stairs up to main bar. At some point in the evening ( which had been going very well) I needed to go to the loo. I excused myself & went up the stairs (I should remind you that skirts then were more like pelmets).
I did not realise I had been sitting on a wet patch on the sofa & my knickers had started to melt away. I got the the loo & discovered this- they were just 3 bits of elastic by then.
There was nothing else to be done than to ditch the elastic & walk back having tried to pull my tiny skirt down a bit.
By the look on his face I knew it hadn't worked so I just bluffed it out & didn't say a word until it was time to leave when I did tell him what had happened & asked him to walk very close behind me all the way out.
Amazingly I did see him again for a while- he never mentioned it again but his mates did give some odd looks for a while so I am sure he shared it!

Baloothefitz Fri 22-May-20 10:27:06

Oh Daftbag1 you are too hilarious, sorry but I'm laughing my head off .Do hope it never happens again, but such a marvellous story ,thankyou .

Grannynannywanny Fri 22-May-20 10:29:14

I feel lately I’m walking a fine line between crying and laughing and embarrassingly did a combination of both at Tesco checkout yesterday.

I knew when I got dressed I’d selected a pair of knickers I’d meant to bin instead of putting in washing basket as the elastic was loose. Rather than undressing I said to myself they’re for the bin tonight.

Luckily I had trousers on, a loose style linen pair. As I was emptying my Tesco basket onto the conveyor I could feel the knickers starting to slip down. Till eventually I was aware that my backside was completely bare inside the baggy trousers.

I tried to continue as normal while the young lad made small chat till a lump rose in my throat that prevented me from answering him.

I spent the time it took to pack and pay for my shopping stifling laughter and weeping at the same time. God only knows what the poor boy thought of me.

Estrellita Fri 22-May-20 10:29:45

Ha ha ha! That is so funny! I had three embarrassing experiences in public toilets: once in New York, once in Palma and once in Copenhagen when I had not locked the doors properly and people walked in on me - the one in New York was a man!

Alishka Fri 22-May-20 10:46:37

Oh! I remember those paper knickers! I used to take a couple of packs of them with me when I was travelling through Italy.

barbaranrod Fri 22-May-20 10:47:31

oh "dontmindstayingat home .
that was so funny ,perhaps your window cleaner see`s that sort of thing every day LOL xx