Gransnet forums

Chat

will OAP's loosing out??

(119 Posts)
travelsafar Sat 23-May-20 12:37:08

Will we loose our heating allowances, bus passes, tv licences health related benefits i.e. free dental and optical benefits if on pension credit, to help towards repaying for the Covid 19 out break. Will our state pension be frozen at today's amount for a few years. Will this be the way that OAP's help in what will be a national crisis economically.

Chewbacca Sun 24-May-20 08:23:36

How did we manage before the heating allowance?

Erm...... A lot of elderly people died of hypothermia?

Furret Sun 24-May-20 08:39:09

I think we should all be expected to pay. But it ought to be measured and fair.

Franbern Sun 24-May-20 09:29:32

The heating allowance was brought in after the scandal of how many pensioners were actually dying from hypotherema - that is what happened prior to this (you did ask Ellenvan),

We have been told that to only pay these extras to those that need them would be too expensive - and in anycase is not the best way (think of the uproar that the free tv licence is now only going to those on Pensions credit).

Age Uk runs a scheme where anyone who does not need their £200 can donate it to a special fund they set up, which is used in its entirity to help older people in serious need of assistance with heating, etc. So, any of you who do not need this, please do look into that.

The £10 christmas present allowance is laughable. When it was originally brought in it represented a reasonable amount. That does need to be stopped or else brought into line with current prices.

As I have said previously, I think it wrong (and expensive) to have these extra payments. The State Pension should be brought into line with Average earnings and tied to them.

EllanVannin Sun 24-May-20 09:32:01

My father drummed into me, in the 50's never to accept "charity". He used to be incensed about those who collected National( public ) Assistance as it was back then. He called it charity.

Years later before my H died, he used to tell me to " claw back " whatever I could from the government after paying extortionate death duties on 3 members of the family which gave him nightmares in those days saying that they'd paid tax all their lives in business then fleeced again after death.

I was left, a pretty confused person with these " orders " but pride won in the end and so worked for what I have but I could easily have carried out what my H had told me to do sharing his bitterness at the unfairness of it all.

At the time I was living in a high maintenance Grade II listed building on the sea front, with high council tax and managed to stay there for another 15 years after H's death but it was draining the finances so before I was destitute it was pretty well sold overnight, being sought after and it was also the end of my dream.

2 D's benefitted from the sale when properties were secured for them and I left myself enough to " see me through " whenever that might be. D in Oz invested her share to retire outside Sydney when the time comes.

Widows pension was £54 in 1994 so after only 2 weeks off I returned to work as there was no other option. Rates were £2,000 a year besides other bills, so a large chunk of savings over the years. This had been a family home since 1943 !

What would others have done ?

Offload the majority of proceeds from the sale to unburden yourself from high tax bills ? Or invest it and see your family struggling ? The former I would hope.
Life with money can be very bittersweet ! Which is why I would always help those struggling or who are under-privileged-----hence forgoing the allowances which we haven't always had have we ? So we must have managed before.

Something will have to be forfeited to help what is going to be, a struggling economy, with over 2 million out of work that we know of so far.

Chewbacca Sun 24-May-20 09:55:52

It sounds like you're financially very secure EV and thats very nice for you I'm sure. But not everyone is in the same position as you, for a whole gamut of reasons, and they have only their state retirement pension to live on. This doesn't necessarily mean that they were frivolous or careless during their working years, it simply means that they had different/fewer opportunities than you had. So, whilst you're in the bittersweet position of having life with money please remember that we're not all as fortunate as you and some of us, without the winter fuel allowance, really wouldn't be able to heat our homes adequately in the winter at all.

Canklekitten Sun 24-May-20 10:11:20

EllanVannin

People with your attitude make me sick. Look outside of your comfy little bubble and see how the majority of oaps live!!

patricia1958 Sun 24-May-20 10:14:38

I agree with you when we think are life is going to be easier bang it's not and even with the government coronavirous lockdown does he ever mention us no its like hes saying your not having anything anymore and we don't care about you so just do as your told

Welshwife Sun 24-May-20 10:15:36

When I was working and paying superannuation every month it was NOT taxable at the time - which is why tax is levied now when it is paid as a pension.

SusieFlo Sun 24-May-20 10:20:00

I agree. We are reasonably comfortable thank god but there are lots who are not.

Neilspurgeon0 Sun 24-May-20 10:28:40

If the bus pass for OAPs goes, the bus companies will shut down (outside of LONDON) in very short order. Absolutely NO-ONE should have to choose between eating and heating.

Whilst I DO accept that everyone will have to pay for this pandemic financially, freezing pensions and killing off the old by neglect whilst shutting down the bus networks cannot possibly make any sense, even to Dominic Cummings

Americanpie Sun 24-May-20 10:33:38

I hope we do not have to suffer any financial cuts at all. The way the elderly have been sacrificed in the UK is a national disgrace and I hope there is a criminal investigation into the way people in care homes have been treated. My best friend wasn't even elderly, aged 56, rushed out of hospital after an op to recover in a nursing home, where she developed sepsis and died. If she'd have been left where she was, she may still be alive. I hope their are tax rises for the wealthy and catch companies that avoid paying their fair share.

Americanpie Sun 24-May-20 10:35:20

Should have typed "there" not "their" but I am just so mad!

Sys2ad2 Sun 24-May-20 10:43:33

Yes the OAP's that's me included will lose a lot, TV license that should be abolished. Taxes will go up and interest rates will continue to plummet. I have only been retired for 1 year and the future looks very bleak savings will be eaten into. Furlough scheme was a good idea but has been abused by thousands of people especially the non tax paying billionaires

Jans3 Sun 24-May-20 10:44:00

You EV are living in cuckooland from your ivory tower

Saggi Sun 24-May-20 10:46:21

Aren’t you the lucky one Ellan.... we don’t own a car , as we can’t afford one! My husband is unable to walk further than the bathroom ... I have the ‘load’ on my shoulders ...which by the way I broke( both) along with my jaw, after being knocked of my bike in January . The person didn’t stop! I have to carry every ounce if shopping I buy . No help. I can’t use my bike and my bus pass is my life line..and when my grandkids go back to school it’s my transport to them ...helping my recently estranged daughter with them ..taking and fetching to school. Cooking their teas till there mum gets home. That’s four buses.. three days a week! When I lost my pass couple years ago, it cost me £15 per week to ‘help’ my daughter out. If you don’t need your pass....many do!!

EllanVannin Sun 24-May-20 10:47:50

Just to reiterate, I did have an idyllic life when my H was alive as do those who are still fortunate in having their husbands/partners and where there is always a supply of extra finance. I was using savings to pay bills !!

To those who are blinkered, one person working and trying to keep a home---which has to be kept up to standard because it was listed, is no mean task and I worked damned hard at the hospital to sustain/ maintain it.

Canklekitten, I don't go on holiday or own a car do you ??

EllanVannin Sun 24-May-20 10:49:39

Jans3, no, my feet are firmly on the ground, thankyou !

EllanVannin Sun 24-May-20 10:57:16

Bills are naturally paid with savings----which don't last forever. I don't know how long I'm going to live, nor does anyone, but I pay my way like everyone else does.

Saggi, because I don't do all the things that you do, I wouldn't begrudge you or anyone like you, a bus pass but because I've never ventured far since a TIA I use a taxi. This is why I'm not bothered about a bus pass. Or my D when she's not working.

Howcome Sun 24-May-20 10:57:51

I am fully convinced that all generations will have to suffer to repay this debt in increased taxes and reduced benefits for several generations to come. I am expecting to loose my free bus pass, prescriptions etc. Morn their loss as I do I also worry for those who are unlikely to get child benefit or unemployment benefit going forward. We will all suffer - the piper has to be paid and it will take more than my life time to do it. I think the queen and royal family have been marvellous in this crisis - better than the politicians, so if we are looking to save a pittance by scrapping the Royals I think we should also look at sacking politicians too - not one of them serves and we’d save a fortune if we went back to a Monarchy for a while.

Seefah Sun 24-May-20 11:03:31

I think things like heating allowance, council tax rebates, bus passes , should be means tested on income. Someone with an income of £3000 pm in pensions ( like someone I know ) does not need £200 heating allowance or his £120 pm council tax rebate.
Someone on £100 a week for everything but who has a little emergency fund of £35000 does.
IMHO

EllanVannin Sun 24-May-20 11:05:13

I'm sure there are very many here who are " comfortably off " but how strange those same people haven't come forward ??

Typical that I've carried the can and faced the music shock

SusieFlo is the only one who's had the decency to say that " we're not badly off ".

EllanVannin Sun 24-May-20 11:07:11

Yes, I'm all for means testing Seefah. Without doubt. Why not ?

Ngaio1 Sun 24-May-20 11:07:44

I hope we pensioners are not penalised. Surely, the foreign aid budget should be cut severely or stopped until this huge deficit is repaid.

EllanVannin Sun 24-May-20 11:10:35

A thought's just struck me, Camelot hasn't come up with anything to " lend a hand " financially, unless I've missed it ?

Furret Sun 24-May-20 11:11:42

Why on earth would we, one of the richest nations, cut aid to poor ones, rather than tighten our belts?