Gransnet forums

Chat

Well I've tried, I really have ....

(119 Posts)
gulligranny Mon 25-May-20 14:09:04

... but I just can't take to Kale! It seems to be the magic new ingredient, but really - it's chewy where a vegetable shouldn't be, it's harsh in flavour, eating it feels like a punishment. Oh, and I can't stand avocados either, too much like biting into soap.

Anyone else given up on a particular foodstuff, healthy or otherwise?

CanadianGran Mon 25-May-20 21:15:45

Anything with soggy bread I don't like. The thought of bread pudding makes me feel ill.

There aren't too many things I will refuse to eat, but there are definitely some I choose not to eat!
oysters/clams
very spicy dishes
roe/caviar
also not a fan of beer - will take a sip of DH's if very thirsty, but make a face every time!

diygran Mon 25-May-20 21:37:57

My mother usually put kale in her vegetable soups and it wasn't noticeable but had lots of vitamins.
Now I use cabbage in soups and stir frys.
Hates are
oysters and cockles ugh!
soups made with tomatoes and veg
no other dislikes - thats why I'm obese!

pensionpat Mon 25-May-20 23:17:01

A tip for cooking kale is to add some oil before serving. It makes it easier to scrape off the plate into the bin.

Callistemon Mon 25-May-20 23:20:11

gulligranny
My DM used to say Kale is for cows.

pensionpat grin

lemongrove Mon 25-May-20 23:26:53

Charleygirl5 ?I love everything on your long list of hates.

Never tried kale ( and now don’t want to)
My list: any seafood with little faces and whiskers
Any meat with fat on
Camomile tea
Sliced wrapped white bread
Avocados
Thick porridge ( has to be milky and thin.)

Callistemon Mon 25-May-20 23:41:36

Tapioca
Sago
Cockles
Mussels
Oysters (raw)
Whelks etc
Squid
Octopus
Crocodile
Laverbread
Green tea
That awful cheese stuff which is fashionable?

Callistemon Mon 25-May-20 23:43:33

It's called quark - what is the point of it? It looks and tastes horrible.

CherryCezzy Tue 26-May-20 00:03:00

Callistemon, I knew my spelling of lava bread was wrong blush.
I'm adding bananas.

Witzend Tue 26-May-20 08:52:27

I can never order prawns in restaurants if they come with shells on - I always ask. The sight of them with shells and all those legs just makes me think of cockroaches - should add that for years we lived in countries where ginormous cockroaches were a daily hazard. I never really got used to the horrible things.

I dare say prawns are a sort of cockroach really, pink marine variety, scavenging on the sea bed.

Goat’s cheese tastes (and smells) horrible to me.
Apart from milk (at least to drink, don’t mind it in coffee), cream (yuck), meat fat, and uncooked egg white (double yuck) I can’t think of anything else I really don't like.

Having said that, I do think oysters are massively overrated, at least in their raw state - I dare say they’d be much nicer cooked.

Chewbacca Tue 26-May-20 08:56:00

Laverbread on the list of detestables??!! shock

Callistemon! I thought you were a woman of impeccable taste! Laverbread is sublime! grin

Hetty58 Tue 26-May-20 09:02:06

Kale crisps are edible - otherwise no. Goat's cheese smells of goats - so not allowed in my fridge.

Avocado - too greasy, upsets my tummy - as does lettuce. I don't eat meat or dairy anyway.

My friend liked soft cod roe - until I told her what it is!

Missfoodlove Tue 26-May-20 09:06:22

Love kale, I grow it and us the young leaves for salads and crisps.
Black kale is my absolute favourite, delicious lightly braised.
My hates are any fish or meat in a tin.
Tongue, tail, trotters, tripe and brain.

sodapop Tue 26-May-20 09:09:25

I dislike
Kale
Beetroot
Spinach
Avocado
I absolutely cannot eat a plate of white food.
I love
Sprouts
Runner beans
Cabbage

merlotgran Tue 26-May-20 09:20:42

We love all of the above apart from semolina and tapioca.

I remember DH telling me he couldn't stand tomatoes when we first started 'courting'.

I told him there was no future for us then.

He changed his mind. grin

We grow a lot of vegetables including two types of kale. I stir fry cavolo nero when it's really young and lightly steam it (with the rib removed) when it's older.

Loislovesstewie Tue 26-May-20 09:24:38

I don't eat shellfish , lobster, crab because I like my food to be dead before it's cooked.

hulahoop Tue 26-May-20 09:25:49

Don't like any sea food ,
Broad beans kidney beans
Blue cheese
Any fat on meat
Branson pickle,, chutney
Tripe
I could name few more didn't realise how daddy I am?

Witzend Tue 26-May-20 09:30:07

Ha, merlotgran, my mother always insisted that she didn’t like tomatoes and wouldn’t eat anything tomato-ey.

It wasn’t until dds were grown up and we were all on holiday together, that a tomato-loving dd asked Granny (then about 80) why she didn’t like them.

‘I don’t know, really - I’ve never actually tried one.’
!!!!!!!!
She went on to explain that her father had always grown them in their greenhouse and she’d just never fancied them!

I had two fussy parents - as above, DM wouldn’t touch tomatoes and didn’t like chicken or anything else that was a bird, and had a thing about ‘eggy’ eggs.?

My father loathed milk and cream, wouldn’t touch anything that even looked as if it contained milk or cream, and seriously disliked lamb - he called it ‘dead sheep’.

So cooking for the pair of them needed careful thinking.

Callistemon Tue 26-May-20 09:35:46

I don't know if I like tripe or not because I have never managed to get any as far as my mouth.

sodapop I know what you mean, perhaps that is why tripe cooked in milk looks so unappealing.

I do like plain yogurt though.

gulligranny Tue 26-May-20 09:36:03

Ladies, it's very heartening to know I'm not the only kale-hater (and yes, I DO like Kate!). I haven't tried anything other than the pre-chopped supermarket stuff, so perhaps I should keep an open mind. I'm definitely going to try the kale chips, but probably more in hope than expectation ....

I'd forgotten about the hideousness that is butter beans. Mum used to add them to stew and I now have memories of the tough, horrible skins. Perhaps that's why I don't like broad beans either.

Witzend Tue 26-May-20 09:41:34

Should add, re my DF and cream, parents once came to visit the day after we’d had a lot of friends round. For them I’d made a dip consisting of mashed avocado, and a lot of both garlic and whipped double cream.

Without thinking, I put the remains on the table with crisps to dip in, and didn’t realise what I’d done until DF had started dipping in with evident gusto.

In the privacy of the kitchen I told DM that what he was eating was maybe 50% whipped cream! (Of course the strongest taste would have been the garlic.)

DM was torn between being aghast and wanting to laugh. ‘For goodness’ sake don’t tell him - he’ll be sick!’
(I didn’t.)

NotSpaghetti Tue 26-May-20 09:52:53

I can't think of a vegetable I don't like except for the smelly one you aren't allowed to take on public transport in some countries - I forget the name of it - have tried to enjoy it twice - but no!

Or maybe it's actually a fruit... ?

moominmum Tue 26-May-20 09:57:22

I did exactly the same...(misread it as Kate) I also hate kale.any leafy greens taste horrible bitter to me since cancer treatment 3 years ago

moominmum Tue 26-May-20 09:58:23

Do you mean Duran fruit...smelly stuff

inishowen Tue 26-May-20 10:04:10

Caviar. Lidl had it this week. Hubby bought it thinking I'd love it. No way was I eating fish eggs. Offered it to our daughter, no thanks. Offered it to our neighbour. He said no. Now my daughters cat will get it.

Tanjamaltija Tue 26-May-20 10:10:44

Witzend you really ought to try fennel (the bulb) thinly sliced, like or with onion, at the bottom of the dish when you bake fish, flesh, or fowl - and the seeds give boulanger potatoes a really good taste.