Gransnet forums

Chat

Well I've tried, I really have ....

(119 Posts)
gulligranny Mon 25-May-20 14:09:04

... but I just can't take to Kale! It seems to be the magic new ingredient, but really - it's chewy where a vegetable shouldn't be, it's harsh in flavour, eating it feels like a punishment. Oh, and I can't stand avocados either, too much like biting into soap.

Anyone else given up on a particular foodstuff, healthy or otherwise?

Greciangirl Tue 26-May-20 16:58:51

I always steam kale. In fact I steam all my veg, it needs to be steamed for a while to soften.
Any leftover goes into making my Nutribullit smoothies along with other fruit and veg.

Witzend Tue 26-May-20 17:10:25

One thing I was served with salad, by my Yorkshire student landlady in the 60s, was some cold meat that looked a bit like tongue, but paler.

I didn’t think it was very nice, but ate it anyway.
‘D’you like that, love?’ she asked.

‘Yes,’ I lied, having been brung up proper. ‘What is it?’

(please imagine a broad Yorkshire accent) - ‘Udder.’

Llamedos13 Tue 26-May-20 17:12:36

Lumpy mashed potatoes yuk

LinAnn52 Tue 26-May-20 17:26:17

Recently I received kale as a substitute for broccoli in a home delivery. I put it in the fridge, convincing myself that I would use it. But of course it ended up in the food waste!

choughdancer Tue 26-May-20 18:47:36

I didn't like kale originally but LOVE it now! I don't buy the packs where it is all cut up already as it's much easier to remove the stems if it's not cut up. My favourite is Cavolo Nero (often in Morrisons and Lidl when in season). I've got three favourite ways to eat it: in a salad, but you have to massage the dressing well into the leaves half an hour before eating; crisps cooked in the oven; and sizzled in a frying pan to give a mixture of crisp and soft.

Aepgirl Tue 26-May-20 20:59:45

I can’t believe how so many of you don’t eat some of the wonderful items you have listed. I’m not a lover of kale, but I think this is the only vegetable I don’t like.

olliebeak Tue 26-May-20 21:13:26

I actually quite LIKE Kale .............. however there are some other foods that are 'total punishment' for me -

- Asparagus

- ANYTHING at all that's 'smoked' - fish, bacon, ham, frankfurters, cheese - and I could positively SMACK Jamie Oliver for introducing smoked salt / smoked garlic / smoked paprika etc. My stomach actually h-e-a-v-e-s at the smell sad.

- Avocado - somebody else said it's like biting into soap, and that is SO true!

- Any fish that looks, or smells, like 'a fish' - ie still has head / scales etc. In fact the ONLY fish that I'll eat is Cod in Batter (or Breadcrumbs at a push).

- Broad Beans - I'll eat all other types of beans quite happily, but you can keep those things - they taste like metal!

- Most seafood/crustaceans ie Mussels, Oysters, Crab, Lobster, Caviar, Roe/Fish Eggs, Squid, Octopus are all OUT (though I will happily eat Prawns, Scampi, Shrimps and Scallops)

- Very spicy foods eg Medium and Hot Chillis or Medium Curries. I'm a total wimp - has to be a Mild Chilli or a Korma/Butter Chicken for me wink.

- Spicy Mediterranean Sausage eg Pepperoni, Salami, Chorizo etc. LOVE the ordinary British Sausages though grin.

- Aubergines

- Can't abide the smell of Gin, Rum/Bacardi - just leave me alone with the bottle of Vodka, Whisky or Brandy though wink.

- Final two are something that the majority of other people absolutely LOVE - but for me they're the Devil's Own - Jaffa Cakes and Chocolate Orange. I'm a dedicated chocolate lover, but I don't like it being flavoured!

Bluecat Tue 26-May-20 21:17:22

Witzend, my great-grandmother was a poor widow with 5 kids to raise and one of the things they ate was udder. My grandfather called it "bounce", apparently. My grandmother was horrified. When they were married, she would cook whatever he wanted but she drew the line at "bounce."

I didn't know it was still eaten in more modern times. My sister once chatted about it to her butcher and he said he had never heard of anyone eating udder.

jillyJo Tue 26-May-20 21:26:15

Peas should never have been invented! And I cannot even enter a house where garlic has been used! But unlike others - I LOVE the fat on meat -especially ham and bacon!

glammagran Tue 26-May-20 22:03:56

Notspaghetti I once saw durian fruit described as being “rendolant of rotting sewers”. Banned from being transported in taxis, taken into hotels etc in many parts of SE Asia.

Evie64 Tue 26-May-20 22:48:15

Sorry, but I love Kale. I do it with a roast along with roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese, carrots, leeks, mashed swede and runners and a small helping of meat, smothered in gravy. Delicious. However, I must admit, if there were Spring Greens available, I'd have those instead. My daughter uses it in a stir fry.

Lookout01 Tue 26-May-20 23:00:19

I've never eaten kale but heard it's nice fried. I don't like beans, baked or butter or any bean, olives, beetroot, currants and sultanas, bananas, any kind of soft cheese, squid/octopus, avocado has no taste whatsoever and I'm not a great red meat eater either. Oh and old school puddings like rice pudding or semolina - yuk ☹️ I promise there are things I do like to eat! ?

arosebyanyothername Tue 26-May-20 23:49:44

Kale is a non-starter for me and I cannot abide beetroot. Just the thought of it makes me shiver!
Can't stand any orange veg except carrots.
I don't eat meat through choice and I don't have a sweet tooth.
Each to their own...

DanniRae Wed 27-May-20 07:25:28

Does anyone like bread and milk? You dice up the bread, pour hot milk and sugar on it. Delicious!
I suppose I enjoy it because my darling mum used to give it to us and I associate it with a happy childhood.
My brother used to have a huge pudding bowl full of it. smile

merlotgran Wed 27-May-20 08:06:33

I'm really looking forward to our kale being ready to eat. Love all green vegetables. All hail the mighty kale!

There's not much I don't like really. grin

Witzend Wed 27-May-20 08:10:20

@Bluecat, although I wasn’t keen (I wasn’t keen on tongue either) I fully understood why my landlady bought such foods. She was probably in her 70s then, and had freely told me her family had been very poor when she was a child.
She still really enjoyed e.g. fried chitterlings - a thing I’d never heard of then - had to look in the dictionary to see what they were!
Still, those are still often used in various dishes in France - I’ve even eaten one or two! .

Rosiebee Wed 27-May-20 09:13:59

Eggs: boiled, poached, scrambled or fried.
Milk puddings :rice, sago, etc Smell makes me heave.
ALL offal
Shellfish except lobster and prawns and shrimp.
My sister in law tells me my hates are all about texture. Looking at my list, she could be right.

JackyB Thu 28-May-20 20:27:21

I love nearly everything everyone has put on their hate-list. Only thing I can't eat is beetroot. The thought of it makes me shudder.

I'm not too keen on chocolate - will spurn any chocolatey cereal at breakfast and can't eat dark chocolate at all. It gives me diarrhoea and I don't like the taste anyway. We once did a wine-tasting where they served chocolate to match each wine. I gave mine to DH.

Kale is a traditional food in Northern Germany. We were once driving to Berlin (before the Iron Curtain came down) and stopped at a motorway cafe just before the (then) border. As I had heard so much about the dish Kohl und Pinkel, I ordered it. This is kale served with a special kind of sausage. The kale was minced, slimy and gritty, but this was the 70s and it was on the motorway, so I shouldn't really have expected much.

I haven't tried it since.

Pinkel is a slang term for pipi. The sausage is squashed into the urinary tubes (presumably pig - the only meat known to the Germans in those days.

It probably wasn't really made that way, but the name of the dish was always a source of amusement for outsiders.