Gransnet forums

Chat

Well I've tried, I really have ....

(118 Posts)
gulligranny Mon 25-May-20 14:09:04

... but I just can't take to Kale! It seems to be the magic new ingredient, but really - it's chewy where a vegetable shouldn't be, it's harsh in flavour, eating it feels like a punishment. Oh, and I can't stand avocados either, too much like biting into soap.

Anyone else given up on a particular foodstuff, healthy or otherwise?

Teetime Mon 25-May-20 14:25:38

Kale! Horrible.
Tahini
Humous
Olives
Beetroot
Parsnips
Mayonnaise
all horrible!!!!

DanniRae Mon 25-May-20 14:35:44

I first read that you had tried but you really don't like KATE. I thought oh well it makes a change from Megan bashing. I was quite relieved when I realised that you said KALE
BTW I don't like it either!
But I do like Kate smile

seacliff Mon 25-May-20 14:36:13

I agree gulligranny on both. With kale, I tried putting it in smoothies, spoils them. Spinach is much nicer, and probably almost as good for you. Kale chips are OK ish.

Avocado is very over rated in my opinion. A bit mushy and nothing special. Not for me.

Also mushrooms, eeuugh. OK is chopped up small in something, but not just on their own.

NotSpaghetti Mon 25-May-20 14:39:00

Kale can be totally delicious if picked young OR you need to take out all the tough "ribs".

I just sautee my washed chopped kale in a little butter. I think maybe you have probably had the truly horrible pre-chopped version from the supermarket.

Witzend Mon 25-May-20 14:42:09

Had some kale in our veg box delivery. I wouldn’t choose it, but it was all right (minus stalks) in a mixed veggie stir fry.
Much prefer ordinary cabbage/spring greens.
It’s one of those veggies that suddenly become fashionable after being deemed a ‘superfood’. I read recently that it’s no better than sprouts from that POV. But sprouts have never been fashionable.
And wasn’t kale once grown for cattle food??

I really don’t like fennel - it’s the only veg I positively dislike.

Charleygirl5 Mon 25-May-20 14:44:22

Anything faintly resembling school dinners
custard
rice pudding
any milky dish really any dessert inclus=ding jelly and trifle
fried eggs
poached eggs
beetroot
cabbage
tea
milk
parsnips
coleslaw
spirits
sweet wine
sausages
anything sweet and sour

I have to eat kale for my AMD so I cook it in a stir fry.

Chewbacca Mon 25-May-20 14:48:31

Kale? Bleurgh! Orrible stuff. Along with

Beetroot (like boiled slugs) <shudder>
Peaches (ditto)
Apricots (ditto)
Prunes (Just horrible)
Sprouts (vile, no matter what anyone says)
Liver (bleurgh)
Garlic (should be illegal)

NotSpaghetti Mon 25-May-20 14:54:46

Witzend we always grew kale for the winter. All our family like it. We like both the flat, black and curly sorts.
By the early 80s we grew swiss chard as a little milder and less woody so easier to "prep".

I'm pleased it's back in favour (with some) as it's easy to grow and can be grown in the UK.
Hooray!

grannypiper Mon 25-May-20 15:03:20

Cod roe is the food of the Devil, how anyone can even have it in the house i will never know.It belongs in the bin with Junket.

Loislovesstewie Mon 25-May-20 15:11:05

Oh god, I love all of these apart from sprouts which are yuk!! On the other hand so are broad beans.I taste them all day.

tinaf1 Mon 25-May-20 15:13:43

Cannot stand ant pulses, butter beans chickpeas and like chili but cannot stand beans in it ( have been known to pick them all out ? )
They just taste like eating wallpaper paste not that I ever have ?

Baggs Mon 25-May-20 15:17:27

Oven-roasted beetroot 'chips' (or wedges) are delicious. I do them with carrot chips, potato and/or sweet potato, onion wedges and all sprinkled with paprika ?

Earlier this year I made some beetroot and rhubarb ketchup. That is also delicious.

I agree that avocados are over-rated but try them chopped, mixed with cottage cheese and cherry tomatoes, sprinkled with flaked almonds and then put under the grill for a minute or two.

Kate1949 Mon 25-May-20 15:18:04

Piccalilli
Gherkins
Prawns
Mustard
Belly pork
Fat on meat
Runny eggs of any sort
Squid
All yukky to me

GrannyGravy13 Mon 25-May-20 15:51:52

Kale is a firm favourite in this house.

MiniMoon Mon 25-May-20 15:59:01

Best thing to do with kale, if you really must eat it, is make crispy seaweed with it.

Courgettes (except in soup)
Sprouts
That rubbery sliced cheese, Jarlsberg I think. (DH buys it) yuck.
Water chestnuts (like chewing a piece of wood)

shysal Mon 25-May-20 16:11:17

I hate kale as a steamed or sauteed veg, but have you tried kale chips? They are delicious, like the crispy seaweed found on Chinese menus, and very easy to make.
www.allrecipes.com/recipe/176957/baked-kale-chips/

Nortsat Mon 25-May-20 16:15:01

Beetroot
Ginger
Squid

I once went for a working lunch with my then relatively new boss, in a very nice Chinese restaurant overlooking the river. I choose a lovely dish of duck and noodles and she choose squid. Then she suggested we share each other’s dishes ... so she tucked into a generous half of my delicious duck and I had to try and eat some of her hideous squid. It was like eating stir fried rubber bands. Oh my, it was awful.

BlueBelle Mon 25-May-20 16:19:00

I see to like everything that people don’t like on here I like kale if lightly fried love gherkins prawns beetroot courgettes
The things I don’t like and you ll all say you love them is salmon and steak

TwiceAsNice Mon 25-May-20 16:22:29

I can’t stand Kale either but love cabbage and sprouts

Also can’t stand
Curry
Yogurt( actually makes me heave)
Chinese vegetables
Honey
Black pudding
Tapioca or semolina ( would eat rice pudding at a push)
Cottage cheese or blue cheese ( love other kinds)
Gin
There’s probably more but they are the worst

grannyrebel7 Mon 25-May-20 16:24:00

Frozen button sprouts are my favourite food. Love kale too. In fact the only foods I don't like are prawns and liver.

craftyone Mon 25-May-20 16:28:07

The kale I get in big bags in my veg box delivery. Urgh, I eat what I can but it is good for feeding the worms in my special compost bins. I am growing my own kale for winter, red russian and that one is nice and tender, curly kale is tough

I don`t like sweet potatoes and parsnips, far too sweet for me and sweet potatoes are so mushy

Other than that I do eat about 7-12 a day and often make veg juice to help

CherryCezzy Mon 25-May-20 16:35:24

Kale is okay but without the "ribs", I won't eat it with them.
Courgettes and cucumbers , they "repeat" - yuk!
Butter beans and broad beans are a no no for me but I love most other beans.
I'm with you on sprouts Chewbacca
Rollmop and jellied eels, even the thought is disgusting.
Lava bread, horrible just horrible, same with squid.
Looking at it, that's quite a list.

Jessity Mon 25-May-20 20:46:46

Bananas
Kale
Cabbage of any kind or colour
Squid
Sweet potato

Ginny42 Mon 25-May-20 21:11:28

Never eat...
Red meat
Cream, cheese or full-fat milk
Most sea foods except prawns
Courgettes but most other veg I love. just don't like them over cooked.
Mushrooms