Gransnet forums

Chat

Well I've tried, I really have ....

(119 Posts)
gulligranny Mon 25-May-20 14:09:04

... but I just can't take to Kale! It seems to be the magic new ingredient, but really - it's chewy where a vegetable shouldn't be, it's harsh in flavour, eating it feels like a punishment. Oh, and I can't stand avocados either, too much like biting into soap.

Anyone else given up on a particular foodstuff, healthy or otherwise?

pat9 Tue 26-May-20 12:14:45

It's just as well we are all different and have different tastes. I love sprouts -don't overcook. Avocado - try with some honey and mustard dressing. Mushrooms - fry with some butter (naughty but nice) Parsnips - roast with other veg. to have with roast meat(or not).........

3nanny6 Tue 26-May-20 12:16:24

A few of mine.
Kale
Rocket leaves
crispy florette salad leaves
courgettes
aubergines
boiling bacon done in big pot with cabbage. (had to eat this as a child and detested it)
Pork
salami
pepperoni
pomegranate

There are still plenty of foods I like. Chocolate has been a favourite during the lockdown.

pat9 Tue 26-May-20 12:24:31

Yesterday I cooked a large pot of ratatouille - onions, lots of garlic, aubergines, courgettes and tinned tomatoes. I have it for tea with a slice of butter and bread. (I have my main meal at lunch time) I shall freeze some and the rest will last me all week

JaneRn Tue 26-May-20 12:34:56

Dear me, what a fussy lot you are! There are some foods on your lists which I don't particularly enjoy, but apart from meat there is nothing I would not eat if it was offered. I was a child during the war and if we didn't eat what was put before us we would go hungry, plus of course the old rule beloved of mothers - if you can't finish your dinner you don't get any pudding!

Nannan2 Tue 26-May-20 12:38:44

I dislike courgettes, they dont seem to taste of anything at all! Oh and anything tasting of liquorice or aniseed! Horrible.

gulligranny Tue 26-May-20 12:42:17

Janipans, I'm going to try that soup - anything to get kale down the DH.

Will also try roasting it as suggested, and perhaps not buy the supermarket packs.

But nothing will ever make me like avocados!

grandtanteJE65 Tue 26-May-20 12:49:47

Chewy? Kale?

Surely, you don't eat it raw, do you?

Kale should be boiled in salted water, strained, chopped finely and served in white sauce with pepper and mace.

Absolutely scrumptious, especially when eaten with boiled ham.

Tweedle24 Tue 26-May-20 12:53:28

Cod
Lamb, hoggin, mutton
Goat

Pinkrinse Tue 26-May-20 12:58:58

Don't give up on Kale until you've roasted in. Rub oil into it and then place on baking tray in hot over for about 5 - 10 mins. (Watch it it burns easily) it is wonderful, so crispy!,

Mollygo Tue 26-May-20 13:00:04

I find kale is OK in stir fries, but not otherwise. I might try some the ideas on here for my DH. He’s not a great veggie fan.
I like sweet potato fries if I have them in a restaurant but I never get them right.
On my no list:
Whelks, squid, any minced meat (unless I’ve bought the meat and minced it myself), butter beans-so tough is how I remember them and Marmite.

Witzend Tue 26-May-20 13:05:25

Thank you, but no thanks, Tanjamaltija - it’s the strong, aniseed-y taste I really don’t like. I did try some in a stir-fry, with a lot of other veggies, chilli, ginger and garlic - you’d think that’d disguise the taste well enough - but no, still not for me at all.

Re durians, I remember these from when we were in Malaysia many years ago. If we saw a roadside stall with them ahead, it was time to close the car windows - no standard aircon then.

They were banned from all hotel rooms then and no wonder - they honestly did smell like sick. I believe they do taste nice, though - a Vietnamese friend adored them but her Aussie husband could always tell if she’d had one in the house, even if it was many hours previously.

MadCatWoman1 Tue 26-May-20 13:13:23

Kale is horrible - tasteless, rough in texture.

I don't like:
anchovies
anything pork
olives
shellfish
offal
lamb
any fast food stuff (McDonald's, KFC, pizza etc)

Favourite food - chicken Rogan Josh

Trisha57 Tue 26-May-20 13:23:45

There are some foods that I don't really enjoy as much as others, but the only two things I will never eat are lamb chops (was carsick as a child after eating them and now can't bear the smell of them) and any kind of fruitcake or Christmas pudding type stuff!

MaxiBialystock Tue 26-May-20 13:39:23

Beetroot
Bananas
The vile poison which is coriander
Caraway seeds

Rosina Tue 26-May-20 13:45:17

Tofu. I was served this once in a restaurant, and I have to say it looked just like...well, I won't say as I shall retch when typing the words. I don't know how anyone can eat this vile wobbly horror.

Kartush Tue 26-May-20 13:49:01

Chop the kale up fine and add it to a salad.......awesome stuff....
What Don’t I eat
Shellfish
Spinach
Fruit except apples
Mushrooms

silverlining48 Tue 26-May-20 13:55:29

ONIONS yuck!
Offal ditto but it’s the onions which cause many a problem when, in those far off pre covid days, one was lucky enough to be dining out.

Taptan Tue 26-May-20 13:57:28

I just don’t understand why Kale is now such a ‘super food’, when I was a child we knew it as Curly Kale, I grew up on it. Fortunately I always loved green vegetables, the darker the better. Can’t stand Parsnips, not keen on tuna fish, fresh or tinned, could eat it if I had to, can’t eat peppers they have an adverse effect on me.

Nightsky2 Tue 26-May-20 13:57:33

Sarahandw and Pinkrinse.

I must try this as I might get to like the taste cooked like this
Do you use olive oil?

Bluecat Tue 26-May-20 14:00:01

I made kale crisps, baked in the oven. They were supposed to be a delicious healthy snack. They were foul.

Nightsky2 Tue 26-May-20 14:03:12

Daisymae. Thank you, I didn’t see your post.

I don’t like Asparagus.

mrsgreenfingers56 Tue 26-May-20 14:42:50

Well you are a fussy lot of eaters then! I grown Kale every year and put with the smoothie in the morning and have as a vegetable as well. Easy to grow and easy to use. I was brought up to eat everything and still do but not keen on mussels or fennel (cooked) lovely raw but not keen cooked but would still eat these things if offered or someone had cooked them for me.

jocork Tue 26-May-20 14:49:04

There's not many things I won't eat though plenty I wouldn't choose to eat if buying for myself. Many years ago as a student I had lodgings with a lady who was particularly partial to tinned vegetables rather than fresh. She regularly served up butter beans and tinned carrots with meals both of which I dislike. She then accused me of being faddy! I like carrots fresh but tinned ones are too soft and sweet! I've not eaten butter beans since living with her!
The only things I really won't eat are
Mustard
Pickled onions
Blue cheese
HP sauce
As I often say 'I didn't get this size by being picky!'

annifrance Tue 26-May-20 15:37:02

Tripe
Haggis
Rice pudding
Prunes

dogsmother Tue 26-May-20 16:49:38

Petalpop
I am with you.
Coriander...If any of that devils greenery finds it way into my mouth in disguise I’m gutted.
The only thing I can’t abide. Completely spoils any dish for me. I am aware it’s a genetic problem and it truly does turn to the flavour of soap in my mouth.