Gransnet forums

Chat

What will you MISS when the lock down ends??

(91 Posts)
Craftycat Wed 27-May-20 10:41:49

I know what we all miss with the lock down- seeing hairdresser ( 1st priority) DGC, clothes shopping ,yoga class, coffee with friends etc. but will there be something you will miss once we get back to normal?
I know I will miss sitting on the sunbed ALL afternoon with a Kindle full of books.
I will have to get up earlier again as DH will (hopefully) be going back to work.
I will miss going round a nice quiet supermarket as we are only allowed a certain number of shoppers in at the moment- I won't mind the queue outside but TBH you do get to chat to some interesting people.
I will miss the total lack of urgency for anything to be done too.
There have been good things come out of this- I know every neighbour in our cul de sac now as we all chat after 'clapping' & have had several 'street parties' where we all sit outside our own houses & walk up middle of road talking to each other. Lovely to see the children playing.
I have actually enjoyed my daily walk too instead of jumping in the car all the time.
I know our cats will miss not having a convenient lap available all day.
There have been positives in all this madness.

tanith Wed 27-May-20 10:48:18

I’ll miss the freedom to not have to be anywhere at a certain time. It’s please myself every day.

Teetime Wed 27-May-20 10:53:53

An empty diary- I feel all at see without stuff to go and do.

ginny Wed 27-May-20 10:56:48

Can’t think of anything I’ll miss.

Chewbacca Wed 27-May-20 10:57:12

The freedom to not wear a bra and not wear any makeup at all. In fact, I'm dreading the thought of having to go back into the office and having to faff about slapping makeup on and wearing more formal and restrictive clothes. #ihavebecomeaslob

BlueSky Wed 27-May-20 11:13:36

Nothing to miss. I loved the freedom we had before (once retired of course).

Grandma70s Wed 27-May-20 11:19:28

I’ll miss the certainty of not being interrupted in whatever I’m doing (except by phone, of course), and having no obligation to do anything much.

Gymstagran Wed 27-May-20 11:20:35

I will miss the brilliant blue skies and the only noise being the birds singing. The lack of pollution has been amazing.

Maggiemaybe Wed 27-May-20 11:33:55

The clean air, bird song, wildlife, peace and quiet. It was a nice while it lasted. It’s already changing now that everyone’s jumping back in their cars.

emmasnan Wed 27-May-20 11:38:32

Having no real time table to the day, few interruptions when I'm getting on with something.

Charleygirl5 Wed 27-May-20 11:42:47

An empty diary, living in slob city, what cannot be done today can be done next week or whenever.

Queuing outside everywhere- even my local fish and chip shop.

Curlywhirly Wed 27-May-20 11:55:24

The lack of traffic! It has been bliss during lockdown, hardly any cars on the road and no traffic jams. The freedom to do housework any time of the day rather than first thing in the morning, (was always worried in case we got visitors). Not wearing makeup every day- although I do feel a bit of a slob for not making the effort ? Likewise, not washing my hair every other day, I have found out that it looks fine if only washed twice a week instead, a real revelation to me!

genie10 Wed 27-May-20 11:58:38

The quiet roads, fresher air and the lovely birdsong.

HAZBEEN Wed 27-May-20 12:04:17

Shush dont tell him but I will miss having my OH around all day! We are normally like ships that pass in the night but its been lovely to wake up to a cup of tea and the papers, then sit together reading them and passing each other things to check out instead of him rushing off to work and not getting home until after 6 hot and bothered (and often grumpy) because of traffic or problems at work.

MadCatWoman1 Wed 27-May-20 12:37:35

I'll certainly miss:

The peace and quiet, less traffic on the roads, the lack of pollution.

Lucca Wed 27-May-20 12:42:27

Can’t join in this having obeyed the rules and not driven to see my family since March sorry.

Mapleleaf Wed 27-May-20 12:48:22

I'll miss the quieter roads which has meant the wild life has been much more noticeable, especially the song birds.
I'll also miss the clearer skies.

Shrub Wed 27-May-20 12:48:40

I shall miss the peace and quiet. Hardly any traffic and no vapour trails. No workmen with their loud drills as I was woken up to this morning! I’d be quite happy to go out on a bike if the roads stayed car free, but they won’t. I groaned reading the thread on driving. I wish people would stop dashing about and flying abroad for their holidays. Sorry, feeling grumpy today.

Blinko Wed 27-May-20 12:52:24

I know I'll miss the peace, the slower pace of life, quieter roads, clearer skies, birdsong, money remaining in the bank for longer. All good!

I haven't missed wandering around town looking for 'bargains' which we don't need. I will look forward to being able to meet with friends at a pub or restaurant again. Or go to a concert or the theatre.

ladymuck Wed 27-May-20 13:55:57

Being able to walk down the street without breathing in traffic fumes; being able to cross the road without waiting at the crossings; being able to wander around town without coping with large crowds. The friendliness of strangers as all try to skirt around each other in small spaces.

ninathenana Wed 27-May-20 15:34:18

Lucca I hope most of us haven't driven more than a few miles for food shopping, hospital appointments etc. However, we still notice how quiet the roads are even on those short journeys.

AGAA4 Wed 27-May-20 15:39:28

I have only driven twice since lockdown and the roads were so quiet. I will certainly miss that.

Oopsminty Wed 27-May-20 17:22:59

I'll miss lots!

But the main thing I'll miss is my youngest daughter. She is a teacher down south. She had come up for Mother's Day and has been here ever since.

pollyperkins Wed 27-May-20 17:36:12

I'll miss not having to rush out for appointments, meetings, aqua class , rehearsals etc. Although I miss seeing people (especially family) I’ve enjoyed having the leisure to decide what to do every day ,(or not do much) and the weather has bee n so lovely- sitting in the garden, going for walks with hardly any traffic, listening to birdsong etc has been a joy. Much the same as others. I think I’ll be a bit reluctant to resume my normally busy life!

BBbevan Wed 27-May-20 18:10:14

Peace and quiet