Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you turn your clothes inside out before washing

(128 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 29-May-20 12:11:25

I don’t do this, but I do hang items on the line inside out especially if dark colours or have motifs on, while it’s warmer weather as don’t want them to fade, one friend washes everything inside out before puts in washing machine, but surely they get washed correctly anyway whether inside out or not,

elleks Sat 30-May-20 09:19:49

Only socks - I don't know why, though, just copied the habit from our daily when I was a kid!
When I take my socks off they usually end up inside out anyway!

Dianehillbilly1957 Sat 30-May-20 09:23:13

As a rule no, but if it's a material that collects fluff or bits then I do.
Again if it's a white top I do.

rowanflower0 Sat 30-May-20 09:26:14

I only turn things with sequins or beads or embroidery that might get damaged, but always do zips up to prevent damage on zip teeth.

Froglady Sat 30-May-20 09:26:30

No, not for washing but I do turn trousers inside out for drying, if they have pockets, as the pockets take so long to dry.

olliebeak Sat 30-May-20 09:27:16

I'm another who turns items inside out before washing them.

Supposed to prevent excessive wear & tear on the surface of the items from other heavier fabrics.

I also fasten buttons/zips/poppers etc to prevent strain or damage.

Once they come in from the line, I turn them the right way round again.

Hardly ever iron anything, which is the butt of many jokes with my daughter/grandkids wink.

Oh yes - I also use 'laundry bags' for bras, socks and delicate tops. Stops bra hooks from getting stuck in other things and also prevents the washing machine from 'gobbling' the occasional sock grin.

gillgran Sat 30-May-20 09:28:00

Yes, I do wash everything inside out! Zips done up. Pockets checked. I've always done it this way.
No wonder I'm so slow at getting things done...!!!

Kim19 Sat 30-May-20 09:29:08

I never have. Never seen or heard of it but will give it a go now. Thanks.

LynneH Sat 30-May-20 09:34:16

Only if it needs ironing inside out, eg if the pattern would smudge or ruin the iron

Grannyshome Sat 30-May-20 09:35:44

I don't always but know that I should to prevent fading. Look at the inside of jeans' back pockets to see the difference it makes. As to hanging out the washing I usually stick to the rule of "hang tops from the bottom and bottoms from the top".

Grannyshome Sat 30-May-20 09:38:43

And Welbeck; you haven't imagined it; my mum washed the dishes with Tide and soda crystals in the 50s.

Puzzler61 Sat 30-May-20 09:42:31

welbeck I had a sister-in-law who washed cups and plates with Daz and it was often the case you got a cup of tea , and a mouth of dried, stuck on Daz!
She had no mod. cons., her water came from a well and her toilet was in a brick shed down the garden.

Dareyouto Sat 30-May-20 09:43:40

Yes, but I turn them all inside out when I take them off and put in laundry bin. I also do all zips etc up and a few buttons on each garment. I don’t bother to do it with underwear or socks which I always put in a laundry bag. As I live alone I find it easy enough as I don’t have too much laundry and I believe more laundry tags now state to turn the clothes inside out for laundering. I believe it saves on bobbling caused by rubbing together. Most woollens, delicates and bright colours are hand washed and I also use an Ecoegg in the machine which saves on fabric conditioner and stops towels etc from hardening.
However, every time I hang washing on the line I hear my ex saying to me laughingly that I had a seriously unhinged mind as I never use mismatched pegs on the same garment. I’ve tried not to do it ever since but I find it impossible!
I bought some special little hangers to slip the top of a clothes hanger through years ago and that’s how I hang all my tops out to dry as it prevents peg marks. Indispensable!
I wish my mind was as uncluttered as my washing but, sadly, no!

mancgirl Sat 30-May-20 09:44:15

I always turn dark clothes inside out to prevent fading. When pegging out, hang tops from the bottom and bottoms from the top!

Jellybeetles Sat 30-May-20 09:47:22

I do everything inside out mostly because when you come to iron, iron marks can look awful on the good side and many t-shirts in our house have motifs or beading, etc that you cannot iron on the right side. Plus like others say, they are in contact with the body on the wrong side and I think it protects the fabric more. And anyone who has no wardrobe, only a clothes rail at any point, it keeps dust off the good side.

GreenGran78 Sat 30-May-20 09:48:10

@welbeck I used to do the washing-up, as a child, in the 1940s. I honestly can’t remember what we used, if anything, to wash them with. I can remember when washing-up liquid first came in, though. We thought it was amazing!

As for the inside-out query, I turn jeans so that the pockets dry better. I will turn some of my nicer dark-coloured items if I’m going to hang them in hot sun. Otherwise I don’t bother. In fact it annoys me if I find pants/socks etc inside out, and I put them to rights as I hang them up.

Rosiebee Sat 30-May-20 09:49:08

Never really thought about it but apart from socks and undies, I do turn everything inside out including duvet covers (buttoned back up). I'll be thinking about this all day now. ???

NannyMags Sat 30-May-20 09:49:55

Yes this is what I was taught Esspee

grannygranby Sat 30-May-20 09:51:53

Oh dear I feel a bit of a slob now but I did learn quite late that when I took clothes off the rack to carefully stroke and fold since when I haven’t ironed... but I do remember my uncle coming round and giving my mother a bottle of sqezy. And I remember their impression that to have a separate detergent for dishes was a bit much! Typical of uncle Jim (who had something to do with it). What a game changer that was! And my mother used to have a hired washing machine every Tuesday morning with an electric ringer... wow. Does anyone remember that? But no one told me about turning clothes inside out. I hand wash some things and I use a colour liquid and not one for whites on coloured clothes. I’ll rethink. Thank you all.

Teddy123 Sat 30-May-20 09:52:37

Only sweaters...... Trying to avoid them bobbling etc. I iron any good stuff on the inside to avoid making them shiny.

Nannan2 Sat 30-May-20 09:57:09

I usually take them off inside out anyway! Have done since i was a small child- it used to drive my mum mad!grin what IS annoying is both my sons (still at home,21&17) always take things off with one sleeve or leg in and one out! Then ive to spend time turning other one either in or out! I have tried leave them & wash & dry that way then give them back but still they don't learn, as they're not bothered!grin

Sgilley Sat 30-May-20 10:00:52

T shirts with prints on the front and fancy tops always get turned inside out to protect them!!

Nannan2 Sat 30-May-20 10:02:26

Have always hung jeans etc from bottom (legs) as my late mum did- she said the weight (at waist) helps to swing them in the breeze.so dry quicker.and better.

harrigran Sat 30-May-20 10:03:39

Inside out, prevents chafing of fabric against the drum. Fabric of T shirts and tops seems inferior now and pill very quickly.

timetogo2016 Sat 30-May-20 10:04:39

I only wash things inside out if they are dark in colour,jeans/black items etc.

Nannan2 Sat 30-May-20 10:06:43

Ive not seen any less 'bobbling' with washing clothes inside out though- if a material is going to 'bobble' it does it anyway- depends on quality of it i think.hmm Less chance of it with woollens if you use a wool wash liquid/or soap flakes.