Gransnet forums

Chat

is nicola sturgeon telling fibs

(86 Posts)
petunia Sat 30-May-20 11:00:06

I don't believe that Nicola Sturgeon hasn't seen a hairdresser since we went into lock down. Nor did i believe the piece in the papers recently saying she cut her own hair. It is far to immaculate and layered for a novice to do. Or maybe she was a hairdresser in a former life??

Lucca Sun 31-May-20 14:30:36

I’m not a gran in Scotland by the way......

petunia Sun 31-May-20 14:44:27

Crikey, things have got heavy.

I often watch the lunchtime news and if I put the television on a little early, I catch Nicola giving her daily briefing. For the first few weeks all was well. My own hair is a similar length to hers. Then I realised while mine was growing, hers wasn't. Then I saw the piece in the news about her cutting her own hair. It got me thinking. Why do that? Had someone questioned the perfect hair and it was a genuine response or was this staged. Could Nicola be fibbing here. Nothing is straight forward in politics.

lemongrove Mon 01-Jun-20 17:03:45

petunia ??
Things got heavy because it’s the norm on GN not to be allowed to criticise Sturgeon in any way at all.Not by everybody of course, but certainly some.
So, you cannot question if she cuts her own hair ( or not!) say that you don’t like her dress sense or six inch high heels, or make up ( very heavily applied) or combative way of speaking.
What you can do however, is say that Johnson must have got dressed in the dark, wears suits more fitting to a Burtons sale than Savile Row, or has his hair cut with pinking shears apparently.? It’s me saying that btw, because nobody is untouchable with criticism, either of their style or their politics.
As for Sturgeons policies, I don’t think even all Scottish grans will agree with them all, or even support the SNP’s aims.
But this thread is just about hair, so policies need another thread.

SueDonim Mon 01-Jun-20 17:15:01

Your penultimate sentence, Lemongrove is spot on. I find it hard to see why people are eulogising NS when the stats in Scotland are much of a muchness with the rest of the UK and the care home situation is worse. There is also the questionable behaviour over the Nike conference, when other people were never told they had been at risk of catching CV from the delegates, the lack of PPE, the sending home of elderly people to care homes, the poor testing regime.

New Zealand we, in Scotland, are not.

timetogo2016 Mon 01-Jun-20 17:19:09

She is a MP and opens her mouth, enough said.

SueDonim Mon 01-Jun-20 18:01:20

No, she’s not, Timetogo. She’s an MSP and the First Minister in Scotland.

Elegran Mon 01-Jun-20 18:06:26

Eulogising? Do you mean that saying she is better than Johnson is eulogising? Hardly!

Nike? Is a race meeting or a football match a lesser evil, then?

Policies? On what? Ignore independence, most of Scotland is ignoring it for the moment. Several Scots who have agreed with her virus policies have said that they are not fans of independence or of the SNP

Policy on lockdown in Scotland is far from perfect (that depends on individuals observing it) but is anyone claiming that Westminster's policies are perfect either? Or that more people are observing the rules in England that in the other Uk countries?

At the very moment, policies on anything else are barely relevant.

SueDonim Mon 01-Jun-20 18:35:03

It’s damning with faint praise to say ‘Well, Scotland’s not as bad as England.’ Hardly a ringing endorsement, but of course for some on Gransnet, NS can do no wrong.

Granny23 Mon 01-Jun-20 19:05:55

A NEW poll on how well leaders and governments have handled the coronavirus crisis has found 82% of Scots think Nicola Sturgeon has done a good job. The Ipsos MORI study of more than 1000 Scots showed support for the First Minister and Scottish Government’s response to the pandemic, while revealing a whopping 55% of Scots think Boris Johnson has done “badly” in his approach to the crisis. The research found 78% of Scots felt the Scottish Government had done well, and just 34% of people felt the UK Government had done well .

The poll was carried out between May 14-20, so does not account for the recent row around adviser Dominic Cummings’s 250-mile lockdown trip to Durham while sick with suspected Covid-19. A separate Savanta ComRes poll, which does cover that period, found Johnson and the UK Governments’ approval rating has plummeted as a result of the story. The data tracker found in four days Johnson’s approval rating dropped from 19% to -1% while the UK Government’s approval rating fell 16 points in one day to -2%6

Elegran Mon 01-Jun-20 19:06:39

There are always some who can think no wrong of a leader. Most are like the curate's egg - good in parts. There is probably no such thing as one who is good in every respect.