Gransnet forums

Chat

Something I am enjoying during lockdown...

(57 Posts)
Loobs Fri 05-Jun-20 13:37:45

I have discovered TV programmes I would not have watched if I wasn't stuck at home most of the day. I had heard about The A Word but never watched it, it didn't really appeal but I am now on series 3 - wonderful The joy of finding a whole series (or more) of something you haven't watched - Taskmaster, Big Little Lies and a few others - anyone else discovered a series they love (or re-discovered for that matter)?

Floradora9 Fri 05-Jun-20 14:17:09

I am having a great time researching a relation of mine who went on to do great things ( in trade unions ) . I knew very little of him as he was in his 60s when I knew him but I have searched Ancestry, Scotland's People and Newspaper archives and feel I have really brought him to life. He remained a very humble man and twice turned down a knighthood .
Before that I researched my mother's cousin who was captured during the Second WW in Singapore and died out there. I got loads of info on him .
Ancestry is free in our area through our library site.

lemongrove Fri 05-Jun-20 14:19:59

Loobs I did wonder what you were enjoying ( from your title!)grin
Yes, I love the A Word too, have watched all of it now.Having an autistic DGS there were a lot of behaviours I recognised including the echolalia ( repeating back to you, what you have just said to them.)
The whole series is wonderful, funny and touching.
I am also watching all the first series of Downton Abbey?

AGAA4 Fri 05-Jun-20 15:05:42

I have got hooked on Jonathan Creek. Also reading The Mirror and the Light. It is a hefty volume and I may not have attempted it at any other time.

Northernandproud Sat 06-Jun-20 09:43:40

AGAA4 im reading the mirror and the light as well and have found that i enjoy knitting, very badly but getting better

Torquoise5 Sat 06-Jun-20 09:51:45

Hi. Any good easy knitting or crochet patterns you could attach please. I am running out

Nonnie Sat 06-Jun-20 09:51:48

I am getting better at procrastinating

Mollygo Sat 06-Jun-20 09:54:32

I’m watching The Big Bang Theory on Netflix, Sheldon drives me crazy. I watched Young Sheldon first and it reminded me of my DGS.
I’m discovering puzzles I’d never heard of, like Number Hexagon and doing big jigsaws.

Puzzler61 Sat 06-Jun-20 10:01:00

Ooh my list is a long one:
Joining and being a part of gransnet community
Shopping for, and getting to know an elderly across-the-road neighbour
Jigsaw puzzles
Online scrabble
Sodoku puzzles
Cross-stitch
Reading
Cooking and baking (I think of baking being puds and pies) but I’ve also made lasagnes, stews and sausage rolls
Writing e -mails and making phone calls to friends for lengthy chats as we haven’t seen each other
Tending my garden like never before cos I’ve had more time.
TV has sometimes been the thing I’ve not had time for though I’ve watched and cried over “The A Word”

Annaram1 Sat 06-Jun-20 10:11:10

My son gave me 123 and me. You have to send a sample of your saliva to an address in America and they analise it and tell you about your ancestral origins, what colour your eyes are, and a list of people you are related to who are also on 123 and me. You are told if they are cousins, 2nd cousins, 3rd, 4th or whatever. You can send them messages from your computer. l have been in touch with 2 2nd cousins and a 3rd cousin. I have also found out that although I am 97% British and Irish I also have French, German and Scandinavian ancestors. Such fun!

MiniMoon Sat 06-Jun-20 10:15:09

Netflix has been a godsend. DH and I have been watching some really strange films that we would normally pass over. I will not recommend any of them, as most have been really weird. We looked at each other and asked "why did we watch that?"
With nowhere to go, it is a happy way to pass the time.

I have also been crocheting. My DD bought me an Innocent Big Knit pack, so I have been crocheting little hats for Innocent smoothie bottles.
DH bought me a Gnome doorstop kit which I haven't started yet.

Grandmabeach Sat 06-Jun-20 10:18:30

Like Floradora9 I have spent time researching ancestry. It has been a hobby for a long time but there was never enough time to spend on it. Since lockdown I have finished a book on DH's paternal family and now working on my paternal family.

MiniMoon Sat 06-Jun-20 10:18:58

I forgot to mention the joy of making bread by hand.
I have a bread machine, but I found a lovely channel on YouTube, Buon a Petiti made by a lovely Italian Grandma. I made her breadsticks with cheese and Wedding soup for lunch yesterday. Yummy.

Craftycat Sat 06-Jun-20 10:21:56

I have read so many books- luckily the weather has been great so I have been lying on a sunbed all afternoon & devouring everything I have downloaded to my Kindle! Wonderful treat.
Also I have had time to paint- something I took up only a couple of years ago. I am not brilliant but it is very relaxing & a lot of fun.
I also have time to watch every episode of Killing Eve several times as you always miss something the first time!
Been baking more too but I think I had better stop as I am too scared to get near the bathroom scales now!

Puzzler61 Sat 06-Jun-20 10:23:52

What a find MiniMoon. That sounds delicious! ?
Italian food is just tops for my family! Better still if you are eating it in Italy, but that’s just a pipe dream for now ?

BlueSky Sat 06-Jun-20 10:41:41

There is nothing to enjoy. No reunion with close family as they live overseas so don't know when or if we'll meet again. No planning for holidays either. Feeling quite low today as I feel time is running out and we can't make the most of it. But as they say, this too will pass.

Puzzler61 Sat 06-Jun-20 10:49:22

BlueSky I feel for you. None of this is easy.

Can you phone the people you are missing? Or write letters or e-mails? Any contact with your family and friends will provide distractions and opportunities to feel uplifted with their news - but avoid anyone who usually offloads misery to you as you seem really down at the moment and need cheer and joy.
I really hope you feel better soon ?

Riggie Sat 06-Jun-20 11:07:55

Like Floradora I'm doing the family tree. Ibhad already started but with our library offering free find my past I'm making the most of it!!

Also in our area a lot of adult ed classes are being done on line via "teams" meetings. I am not sure how the practical ones (embroidery) are working out but or mh family history one its fine

Aepgirl Sat 06-Jun-20 11:13:12

I am enjoying just having more time to do everyday tasks - my garden looks so much better now I am not ‘fitting it in’ with going to work (I am not furloughed, but have been laid off so I’m not supposed to be working), housework (ugh) is being done more thoroughly, and I am in touch by phone, FaceTime and Zoom with so many more friends and relations. And out walking, taking time to hear the birds, watch nature etc.

BlueSky Sat 06-Jun-20 11:15:45

Thank you Puzzler I have been OK till now, the glorious summer weather helped, today cold and blustery really gets me down. Yes we can message and Skype/ FaceTime which is a god sent but I was due to visit this year, which obviously won't be happening, next year who knows? We enjoy holidays and city breaks abroad, but again when? I know there are a lot of people in my predicament and a lot worse off, so I'll try and cheer up! thanks

Kim19 Sat 06-Jun-20 11:20:56

I've been rekindling my youth with golden oldie films popping up. Favourite by miles so far has been 'Paint your wagon'. Such joy! I had completely forgotten. Some others have dated so much that I felt uncomfortable thinking I had once enjoyed them. I now scan what's on daily in the hope of more past favourites. Daytime telly, indeed. Indeed!! Oh yes......

Camelotclub Sat 06-Jun-20 11:32:31

Torquoise5
For free patterns by the dozen join Ravelry - and use the search facility. Hundreds of patterns, easy and hard.

ravelry.com

Purplepixie Sat 06-Jun-20 11:47:54

I have watched loads of old Taggarts, which I love. Caught up on Luther, fantastic and got back into embroidery. I bought a book on embroidery and also How to play Poker, so watch this space.
So far I have made:
A jumper for myself
2 knitted teddy bears in rainbow wool
4 cat paintings - watercolours
1 Puffin painting - watercolour
Daffodil embroidery
A landscape tapestry - half finished
Battersea dog blankets x 2
2 Quilted cushions
6 Quilted cushion covers
Baked endlessly

Also listening to music, phoning friends and trying to keep my silly head busy. DH has his hobby in the garage/workshop but if the weather is bad then he is under my feet 24/7 which drives me round the bend. I do love my own space and freedom.
Stay safe and take care. X

pat9 Sat 06-Jun-20 11:55:01

Lots of phone calls.
Am reading the No1 Ladies Detective Agency books. I have read 10 so far and will miss them when I come to the end of them.
Lots of gardening - at the moment (when the weather is OK) sorting out the greenhouse
Some sorting out of the house - too much "stuff" - but not making much progress there. Now that the weather is not so good for being outside I might get a little more done. There has been too much displacement activity!

Calendargirl Sat 06-Jun-20 11:55:08

Reading loads. Get through a book every couple of days on the Libby app, recommended by other GN’ers.

Pleased it’s showery today, as I won’t feel guilty getting stuck in again.