Gransnet forums

Chat

Something I am enjoying during lockdown...

(58 Posts)
Loobs Fri 05-Jun-20 13:37:45

I have discovered TV programmes I would not have watched if I wasn't stuck at home most of the day. I had heard about The A Word but never watched it, it didn't really appeal but I am now on series 3 - wonderful The joy of finding a whole series (or more) of something you haven't watched - Taskmaster, Big Little Lies and a few others - anyone else discovered a series they love (or re-discovered for that matter)?

adrisco Sat 06-Jun-20 11:59:06

I'm watching "Tenko" on DVD. Seeing those women suffering so much in a Japanese internment camp has put lockdown into perspective a bit! I'm also reading and gardening a lot.

Lupin Sat 06-Jun-20 12:04:03

I have been making mug meals - that is microwave meals in a mug. This is because I need to make an effort to control my portions. I purchased two books from Amazon, and one of them gives ( in the back )a calorie count for each meal. It's been fun putting my microwave through its paces and using it in this way.
Other things I've tried are - writing a story with a friend. We each move it along by texting the next section and it's going to some surprising places and we have to take a bit longer each time to come up with our contribution, because we leave each other a cliff hanger each time.
Been relearning the piano after neglecting it for a while.
Futurelearn is good - online courses in all sorts of subjects.
The book group I belong to has continued on line. We email our comments because we cannot each Zoom or Skype. Commenting on email has been a revelation because we all find more to express and there have been some lovely insights.
I also belong to a poetry group and that has been going well online. We are not poets but share poetry we love and find according to a theme and a time period set each week.
Long phone conversations with my family and friends.
I have some crochet I must get on with too.
I wish I could go out for a long walk but I have had to shield. One day I hope......

TerriBull Sat 06-Jun-20 12:04:51

One of our sons sent us the entire series of "The Sopranos" never got into it at the time, completely hooked now on to the final few episodes, our viewing life won't be the same. Having said that, what an appalling lot they were shock

Other than that mugging up on French via Duolingo, a couple of text books and Michel Thomas discs.

Daily walks in Bushy Park, far more uplifting than going to the gym, membership of which has been frozen, can't think I'll feel confident enough to go there again once restrictions have been lifted.

and books of course! read a lot before anyway.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 06-Jun-20 12:11:34

I am re-reading the complete series of Agatha Christie that my father collected in the 1970s.

Haven't read them for years, so it is like reading new books.

Grannybags Sat 06-Jun-20 12:20:00

My 8 year granddaughter and I have started writing to each other. The latest thing is setting quizzes for the other to answer - I've had to learn more than I wanted about the latest quiz she sent me - Captain Underpants!

Letter writing seems such an old fashioned thing to do now and it's lovely that she seems to enjoy it

Bobdoesit Sat 06-Jun-20 12:32:08

I'm also loving the A word but my biggest joy is 'talking' to my nine-year-old granddaughter in Australia. Her mummy has just allowed her to use Facebook messenger. She sends me photos and tells me what she is doing. She and her little sister have just gone back to school so I hear about that too. Funny how life in Lockdown is getting easier (or I think it is!)

jaylucy Sat 06-Jun-20 12:38:31

Just about to start a cross stitch kit - haven't done it for years and when I can get the paper, I want to go back to Quilling - plan to make C cards this year.
It's been lovely to Facetime my godson and his family in Australia a few times.
Just enjoyed being able to hear the birdsong over the rumble of traffic, whatever time of day .

Destin Sat 06-Jun-20 12:40:27

I’ve learned to used Zoom and am loving my regular yoga sessions in the yoga space I’ve set up in the spare room. Most of the group who are - like me - regulars at her studio class are doing the same. We log on several minutes before the class starts and have a brief chat with each other and then again at the end of class before logging off. It works so well and a great way to stay connected.

I’ve also discovered the pleasure of walking and listening to podcasts. My favourite is Desert Island Disc series .....so many well known names from so many walks of life sharing interesting stories about their lives and their music choices. Each (edited) episode run for about 40 minutes.....the perfect length of time for a daily walk!

sodapop Sat 06-Jun-20 12:40:41

Now I feel guilty reading about all the industrious Gransnetters. I am with Nonnie here reading and procrastinating have become art forms with me. smile

GuestCorrectly Sat 06-Jun-20 12:41:19

Like TerriBull we have just finished the whole of The Sopranos and still not certain why I found it compelling viewing as not at all like my normal kind of viewing (I’m more a period drama type of girl). Strange what lockdown can do to you

Northernandproud Sat 06-Jun-20 13:02:08

I mentioned i had started knitting can i ask any of you experienced knitters is there such a thing as an easy jumper pattern? And if there is a link would be appreciated
Apologies in advance if there is a proper place to post this

craftyone Sat 06-Jun-20 13:10:10

look at joining ravelry, it is free. There are unlimited patterns of all sorts and many free jumpers. Look for the pattern star rating. It is an american site and many things are knitted in one piece on a circulat needle. Much easier to do flat knitting and you can specify what you are looking for in construction. Down the left side of the site once on it

f77ms Sat 06-Jun-20 13:22:09

I have been ok with lockdown in general because i enjoy being on my own a lot of the time. One thing I've rekindled is letter writing, ive written to my grandchildren regularly enclosing little gifts and chocolate. My elderly aunt has enjoyed getting letters from me with some printed out photos of my diy house improvements. I much prefer this to speaking on facetime. I've also watched lots of tv, real life murder mysteries and good drama are my favourites. Read some books, a bit of extra cooking too.

aonk Sat 06-Jun-20 14:03:06

I agree with the poster who said there was little to enjoy. I’ve not done much apart from cleaning and baking. The best part of baking is making the doorstep deliveries to family and friends! Some of the activities mentioned in this thread sound really good and absorbing but apart from in the evening I’ve never been used to sitting down during the day other than for meals. I read and enjoy tv after about 7pm but prefer to keep on the move earlier on as I did before the lockdown.

Alishka Sat 06-Jun-20 14:26:35

aonk and others, I can recommend checking out BBC Sounds,pick a category of what you might enjoy while you clean,bake,etc., choose your podcast - and you're off!

EmilyHarburn Sat 06-Jun-20 14:48:09

I am doing my ~Chinese brush painting. The subject I am studying at present is Wisteria.

Greciangirl Sat 06-Jun-20 15:11:56

What’s the Libby app, calendar girl?

bridie54 Sat 06-Jun-20 15:33:50

Torquoise5, I find the crochet crowd very good for crochet. Mikey does really good video tutorials and lots of patterns for free. I just mastered a foundation double crochet to start a mobius wrap. Will definitely be using that technique again. Every day a school day! ?

Calendargirl Sat 06-Jun-20 15:41:55

Greciangirl

If you belong to your local library and have a library card, you can download the Libby app and it gives you access to hundreds of books to read on your I pad. You can reserve books as well as borrow. All free.

It’s been an absolute godsend since lockdown and no library books.

Highly recommended.

pat9 Sat 06-Jun-20 15:58:38

Greciangirl can you use the Libbyap on androids as well?

Another thing we are doing is having our Greek get-together on zoom instead of having our lesson, but still homework to do!

Barmeyoldbat Sat 06-Jun-20 18:03:37

Enjoying just relaxing, reading, jigsaw puzzles, sewing, knitting, cycling, tending my 2 metre square veg plot and exploring subjects on the internet. I miss going into a bookshop and browsing, I have tried a kindle but don't enjoy the experience as much as having a book in hand and turning paper pages.

Joesoap Sat 06-Jun-20 18:21:15

During this miserable time I have had so many SKYPE sessions with friends and neighbours.I have written e mails and letters which I love doing.
Making the garden really nice, as I now have lots of time to do this.
I wil miss not having so much time when restrictions are removed, but will enjoy travelling again
Forgot to say, Gransnet has been a life saver, everyone writing making life so much easier, thank you Grans out there

Calendargirl Sat 06-Jun-20 18:33:23

pat9

Yes, can be used on androids.

Washerwoman Sat 06-Jun-20 19:22:19

Terribull.Our DD urged us to watch the Sopranos a few years ago when we had that very harsh snowy winter and we got completely hooked too.Ditto not at all my usual type of programme but it's always stated with me as a fabulous series and one to watch again.

lemongrove Sat 06-Jun-20 19:27:36

Me too ( Sopranos fan) ....horribly violent but great acting and very compelling viewing.
I could start watching GOT from the start again too.?