Gransnet forums

Chat

A thank you message

(29 Posts)
MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-20 22:00:01

My neighbour (no, not "that one"!) knocked today with a message from her husband for me.

He asked her to tell me "Thanks MissAdventure, for trying". Obviously he used my real name, which is not a common one.

Now, the thing is, her husband died almost 18 months ago, and the message came from a medium. (I tried to resuscitate him)

Because the reading was done online, she is going to be sent a link, because it was all recorded.

I'm sceptical, but we shall see; I was very taken aback, mostly about my name.

Any thoughts?

crazyH Fri 05-Jun-20 22:04:00

I do believe in the after-life. And if there's an after-life, there will be people trying to communicate.
There must be something .......

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-20 22:09:07

I'm not a great believer, but I'm intrigued, I must say.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 05-Jun-20 22:17:10

I am sceptical but open minded, one of my AC is a believer as is one of my long standing girlfriends. I would dearly like to hear from my parents and Grandparents..........

Namsnanny Fri 05-Jun-20 22:19:18

I take it the neighbour didn't know your real name, and using it now is what's making you think twice?

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-20 22:20:57

I don't know if she might let me listen to the recording, but the whole situation was quite unusual; not the kind of thing that happens often, if ever, so for it to be said, along with my name..

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jun-20 22:23:36

Oh, the neighbour knows my name, namsnanny, but the medium certainly didn't, but she told my neighbour to thank me and used my name.

Callistemon Fri 05-Jun-20 22:54:27

I am generally a cynic and very sceptical but a few things have happened over the years which have made me think twice.

Callistemon Fri 05-Jun-20 22:58:03

I did go to see a fortune teller once , more to keep someone company and the things he told me were uncanny and many have come to pass.
Now I see that he is renowned worldwide, he was then unknown.

Namsnanny Fri 05-Jun-20 23:59:58

MissAdventure … I hope she lets you listen to the recording, then you can judge for yourself.

I try to keep an open mind, but I am a bit of a cynic and think that people give the medium info, albeit unintentionally.

But, there are more things in heaven and earth Horatio.....

V3ra Sat 06-Jun-20 00:08:16

I had my coffee cup read, purely off the cuff, by a tour guide in Istanbul one lunchtime.
She told me things that would happen that made little or no sense at the time, but six months later all came true.
Uncanny and I would love to meet her again!

MissAdventure Sat 06-Jun-20 00:49:17

Well, watch this space.
If I do get to hear the recording, I'll update you.

I'm inclined to think my neighbour must have told, without meaning to, and the medium didn't react, but bought it up later.

GrauntyHelen Sat 06-Jun-20 04:15:32

I am a sceptic -If the medium was local the story of man dying and neighbour trying to resuscitate could be in circulation mediums also very adept at getting info from bereaved that they dont realise or remember giving Awee bit of research beforehand and mediums can convince bereaved folk quite easily My own mother was deceived by a medium because she was convinced by a detail given about me that she was convinced medium couldnt know but it was a matter of public record in local newspaper every week

Oldwoman70 Sat 06-Jun-20 08:15:07

I knew someone who made a very good living pretending to be a medium - if he was meeting someone he was very adept at reading body language, picking up hints in general conversation and these days it is amazing what you can find out on the internet. He also said in many cases it was a 50/50 chance if he got things right and clients always remembered what he got right - never what he got wrong.

I would actually like to believe that it was possible to "hear" from those who have died.

MerylStreep Sat 06-Jun-20 08:31:24

No doubt whatsoever. Through my granddaughter and I've seen 2 ghosts. One of those was a cat. I knew of the man who's ghost I saw and I knew the cat but didn't know she'd died.

shysal Sat 06-Jun-20 08:32:36

I am a sceptic, but have watched 'Long Island Medium' on the Quest Red channel. She comes out with information that it would be impossible for her to have known unless the recordings are a set-up.

BlueBelle Sat 06-Jun-20 08:42:48

I m afraid I don’t believe in these messages I m not sure what’s above us I have times when I think yes there is something and then most times when I think no we die that’s it I think those that can believe in an after life are in a much more comfortable position but I don’t think these random messages come along like this I d like to be wrong but then we ll never know will we
Maybe it’s as simple as the non believers do just die and that’s that and the believers go on to great things but the non believers will never know what they missed

I just try and live my life by my conscience without any expectation of an eternal life

BlueBelle Sat 06-Jun-20 08:44:41

I ll just add my mum was a great believer without a doubt in her head my dad was a realist and although the kindest most generous man who never did a thing out of line did not believe so it would be very unfair if that was the only criteria

harrigran Sat 06-Jun-20 08:47:55

It all looks and sounds plausible but these people are not talking to the dead.
I could come up with a reading for someone if I was just given a name and a location. One hour on the internet, social media or obituary columns and I would practically know your life story.
People hear what they want to hear.

TwiceAsNice Sat 06-Jun-20 09:21:41

I would believe it. I do think there are charlatans out there who can use easily found out facts but there are others who tell obscure details it would be very hard to know.

A colleague at a previous job lost her grandfather very suddenly. She went to see a medium not particularly local. Her grandfather was a great cook and was famous for his pasties and cakes. (In the family) The medium described the kitchen , the food, his appearance and mannerisms and even the pattern on his usual apron. My colleague was absolutely convinced and very comforted

JenniferEccles Sat 06-Jun-20 09:37:46

I would like to know how much the so called ‘medium’ charged your bereaved neighbour.

I think it’s shameful that these con artists prey on the grieving and extract money from them in this way.

Laughterlines Sat 06-Jun-20 09:43:11

My friend went to Dignitas. Neither of us believed in the afterlife. She promised to get through to me somehow if there was an afterlife. She has been dead nearly three years now and nothing........

Alexa Sat 06-Jun-20 09:44:52

"Thanks, Anastasia, for trying" is the vague sort of thing mediums say.

It could have implied "Thanks, Anastasia, for trying to clear up after the litter louts" or a hundred and one sociable acts you have done.

JenniferEccles Sat 06-Jun-20 11:30:12

I remember reading an article once explaining how these mediums work especially when they hold sessions in pubs and hotels.

People arrive and gather in a room just before the start.
The medium walks around anonymously and listens to people chatting amongst themselves.

He hears names mentioned and ties them in with who is speaking- ie the woman in the red jumper hopes to hear from Fred, and so it goes on.

All that’s needed is a reasonably good memory and he’s away.

It’s easy to see how it works, and as another poster pointed out, they only have to come up with something meaningful fifty percent of the time to convince people.

Witzend Sat 06-Jun-20 11:44:28

Things I’ve been told occasionally - by people who are very level headed - have sometimes made me wonder.

A niece was told the most extraordinary things by someone she knew who was said to ‘have the gift’ (neither a paid medium nor a close friend) after simply holding a small object that had belonged to a relative (not close) who’d lived hundreds of miles away. There was no way those things could have been known from any source like newspapers.

At least one thing she told her was unknown to the niece but they were later verified by her mother, my sister.
So my initial idea that it could be telepathy was rather blown away.
I do firmly believe in telepathy BTW, since my mother - always a hyper-sensitive type - was occasionally acutely telepathic over very long distances, but only (at least in the cases I knew of) when someone close was in distress of some sort.