Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(62 Posts)
12Michael Sat 06-Jun-20 06:12:29

Good Morning Everyone,
Yet another blue sky start with wind as well this morning in Brackley .
Today , a quiet day in, maybe a Chinese take away later.
Yesterdays supermarket que seems to have become non existence, about 8-10 people waiting to go in , where 11 weeks or so it was never ending .
Be nice to get back to normal routine but that could be months away the way things are out there .
Take Care
Mick

SusieB50 Sat 06-Jun-20 08:51:55

Good morning from a chilly blowy East London . The heating came on at 7 this morning!
It would have been our WA yesterday, both DC thought it was our 50 but it would have been our 49th . We never did a huge amount but I was still a bit “blue” . So I decided to go on a bus ride to see DD and family . It’s a little hopper bus , I wore my homemade mask , the bus wasn’t that busy and I enjoyed walking through a different park to see DD . By the time I arrived it was raining ! So no garden meeting just a doorstep hello , DGC excited to see Grandma at their place for a change . After 10 minutes in the rain I departed for home . Even though it was brief it was different and I felt so much better . Good to hear baby had arrived safely manc.

SusieB50 Sat 06-Jun-20 08:53:08

Sorry Mancgirl ?!

Anniebach Sat 06-Jun-20 08:55:14

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Lins1066 Sat 06-Jun-20 09:05:12

Good Morning Mick and all. Cold and very windy here on the S Welsh coast, DH has just offered to put the heating on.
He is in the dog house as he didn't look on the reverse side of the list for the online shop, I thought that we didn't have many bags by the front door ?
I had a lovely email yesterday from a friend from uni days, she found a letter I'd sent her when her son was born, which was on our son's fifth birthday. She lives in Hampshire and we haven't seen each other much over the years but we have always corresponded by letter and latterly by email.
Congratulations to you and your family Mancgirl
Stay safe everyone.

Marydoll Sat 06-Jun-20 09:16:43

Good morning all from a dull and dreary Glasgow. I started writing this nearly hours ago and there have been constant interruptions and contending with a tablet which isn't working!
I have been forced out of my comfy bed, (DH didn't put the heating on as requested sad, to use my PC.

DD went to B&M an hour ago (while it's empty) and has been constantly phoning to see if I want certain items, she has spotted. I'm not complaining at all, she has picked up a few bargains!

Mancgirl, what lovely news for your family, you must be so relieved at the safe arrival.

Brunette, it sounds as if you had a good day with your family. ?

Beechnut I laughed when I read your comment and then Googled the emaning. blush
I once sent DD an email at work with what I thought was an innocent Scottish word. The email was blocked as containing profanities! She was mortified and nothing would convince her that it was innocent! grin

Well the glory hole clearout never came to fruition! sad
My friend, whose husband was golfing with mine, messaged to say wasn't it bliss having an empty.

Five minutes later my phone went, it was my old RA consultant checking up on me. He is such a lovely man, who had retired a few months ago, but had to come back at 70 years old, , as my new consultant had been seconded to Covid ICU.

I was so glad to hear from him, as I have been struggling. As we have exhausted all the medication options, he is going to have a conference with other colleagues, to see how they are going to get me safely into hospital to start my new treatment. Then they will show me how to administer it at home after I have been monitored for allergic reactions, given my past history. That's good news, but DH is a bit concerned about Covid still being present in the hospital.
The interim plan is that I will break into my emergency asthma steroid pack and my GP will replace them.
Hopefully I will get some respite in the next few days. ??

However, he was insistant that I stay shielding for some time to come, so no easing of restrictions for me. sad.
He literally put the fear of death into me, which was a bit of a downer.

Of course I had to then get past the dragon receptionist at the surgery to update my GP. (Huge sigh!)
A lovely doctor phoned me back within five minutes, that's service for you!
He too thought It still was too risky for me to go into hospital just yet and we would use steroids to dampen down things. So a good result all round!
What he did say was that I should have asked for help sooner, but I was afraid I would end up in hospital and not come out again!!! ?

Just as I put the phone down, DH arrived back! ? after playing the quickest round of golf ever! So no time alone and the cupboard remained untouched!

The burst cream carton in the Tesco delivery was the icing on the cake of a restful day! ?

Urmston, I love to read your posts, so keep it up! I do like the sound of your fuschia sandals. wink

I hope Bluesapphire is OK and Dragonfly feels a bit better.

Kalu Sat 06-Jun-20 09:17:09

Good morning from Glasgow where it’s cloudy with the sun trying to break through. A much calmer day too.

Congratulations mancgirl and a loving welcome to your new GS?

A couple of Bowes Mauve and some new Delphiniums to plant in today to keep me busy.

GD1 and her three friends are being allowed to have a picnic in their nearby park. They are a lovely bunch of sensible girls who will stick to the rules and are so excited at meeting up again. They have all been friends since nursery and are almost 15 now.

Hope you are doing ok and the fog lifts a bit for you today BlueSapphire ?

Enjoy your day everyone.

CherryCezzy Sat 06-Jun-20 09:24:20

Morning all from the very windy, grey and chilly Gower.

Congratulations to your DS and DiL and all the family mancgirl - it's a boy! ?. I have three beautiful great nephews, all my nephew's children. That's what I call a hat trick ?.
It obviously was a pleasure to see your two year old Dgs and have him stay ?.

Such a dreary day weather wise that, at any time such news is lovely, this news is wonderful.

Will have my usual Saturday chats today but no group quiz this weekend. My WP's sister (who lives miles away) is in the doldrums and I haven't felt well this week - but okay now ?so a chilled out day today and a curry later is in order.

Take care all of you, be kind to yourselves ❤️

Pittcity Sat 06-Jun-20 09:31:41

Good morning from a cloudy and windy Colchester. Slept late as DH likes an open window and the gusting curtains meant a disturbed night for me... He snored through it all.
Usually have a family barbecue this weekend every year with visitors from all over. We had changed it to just 2 families but now that is off as one family can't go indoors. Will probably have Pizza delivered.
Lovely news from Mancgirl?

jacq10 Sat 06-Jun-20 09:33:45

Very damp and grey day and mist covering the hills up here in the Highlands but like you all I have a smile on my face thinking on Mancgirl's new baby bringing joy to the family. Funny how some families are one sex. My SIL had four boys and her neighbour had four girls and really wanted a boy so kept going and then had her fifth girl!! Hope everyone enjoys the weekend as best they can - thanks to Urmstongran's photos I will just think about the Spanish comeback to normality and hope it comes our way soon.

Kalu Sat 06-Jun-20 09:35:08

It’s brightening up a bit here Marydoll , I will send it down to you ?. Good to hear you may have some respite so fingers crossed your meds do the trick?.

Forgot to mention I found a link on Amazon for M&S, I think old stock and I bought a lovely silk mustard top for £11. Oh I do like a bargain?

Nannytopsy Sat 06-Jun-20 09:35:15

Good morning Mick and all his followers. It’s grey and very windy here in Suffolk. DH’s new 6’ banana palm had made three new leaves and they have all been broken at the stem. Very sad. ?
There’s a plant sale at a nearby village car park later - I may pop over. Tonight is the family quiz and we may attempt a takeaway curry delivery - the first since we came here. We are desperate - living in Leicester for 30 years has had a big effect on us!
Welcome to BabyboyManc!
Hope the day is kind to everyone.

gillybob Sat 06-Jun-20 09:51:31

Good morning from a very wet, windy and cold NE coast. It seems that we have been thrust back into winter.

Huge congratulations on the birth of your baby grandson Mancgirl I’m so happy for you all . smile

I love to read your posts Urms . You always paint a lovely picture and I confess to being a teensy bit envy of your wonderful lifestyle. smile

Just wondering what a “glory hole” is Marydoll ? Is it a kind of secret cupboard ?

Had a socially distanced cup of tea with my DS yesterday when he arrived at my back gate . I’ve barely seen him since March so I was very worried when he showed up unannounced and I thought “oh dear, what now ?” It kept raining on and off so it was a bit of a fiasco diving in and out of the shed . It was lovely to see him but I’m still worried that there was something he was hoping to talk about but just couldn’t get around to it .

I will have another catch up with the thread with my 3rd cuppa of the morning and wish you all as good a Saturday as possible .
Love Gillybob xx

mancgirl Sat 06-Jun-20 09:52:59

Thank you for the good wishes everyone. Must admit feel slightly guilty that we have broken some of the rules but so enjoyed having the big brother here and having some hugs!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 06-Jun-20 09:57:17

Sar53 I have sent you a PM

Mythbirtthedragon Sat 06-Jun-20 10:08:09

Good morning from east London, sun was out but clouds have now rolled over, wind is blowing and it’s cool. Strange weather yesterday, managed nearly 2 sets of tennis before being chased off the courts by rain and by the time I arrived home feeling soggy, it was dry again. Our walk in the afternoon started off in the sun, coats and jumpers went back on again within 10 minutes then by the time we got across the marshes to the Olympic park, we were able to have a beer and coffee in the sunshine standing by the canal next to Here East (a newish business area in the Park). And the midgies had calmed down on the way home. DS has offered to cook a meal later on today (sometimes his late can be an early breakfast); he did check last night if I minded a chicken stock cube if he had to use one and now knows what’s in the tin labelled vegetable stock powder.
Haven’t got a clue what I might do today; seem to have spent a lot of time looking out the window watching the weather change. I still refer to cupboards under the stairs as glory holes which mystifies DP; wonder if it’s a northern word. My older DB and DS terrified me when I was little by telling me of the the things that could be lurking in ours and that might come out in the dark.

Congrats, mancgirl, baby news is happy news and hope everyone can smile today.

Urmstongran Sat 06-Jun-20 10:14:23

You’d have been crucified on some of the GN threads mancgirl for breaking the rules.
?

Taichinan Sat 06-Jun-20 10:16:37

Congratulations on the arrival of your new grandson, Mancgirl. How wonderful!

Bellasnana Sat 06-Jun-20 10:16:57

Good morning from Malta where it is blowing a gale and has been since yesterday. My poor plants.sad

Many congratulations to mancgirl on the new arrival. How lucky you are! I still have just the one DGD who is 9 now and lives in the US so I don’t see her very often apart from on FaceTime.

Urmston it sounds as if you have similar precautions in place to ours in Malta. DD3 and I had lunch out a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it. All very social distanced and sanitised!

Hairdresser this morning, although in this wind I might as well not bother! At least it will be clean though.

Wishing everyone as good a day as possible.☀️?

EllanVannin Sat 06-Jun-20 10:25:21

Good Morning All x

It's not a bit like Summer here in the NW. Gales yesterday and through the night which disturbed me at 4am, even the cats were unsettled. Then I heard doors of a vehicle being shut so looked out and saw the ambulance to the old man in the next road. He suffers falls so I imagine he took a tumble again for the 2nd time this week.

The other night they were there for 2 hours with him probably made him a cup of tea to avoid taking him to hospital providing no damage was done. The paramedics here are wonderful and so patient.

Still windy here but I don't need to venture out today. I was sorry to have missed the twins Birthdays yesterday as D phoned to say she'd got all kinds of goodies including a cake from M&S, so just themselves no friends, so disappointing on your 14th Birthday when friends matter at that age sad

D popped around to collect their cards and money----through the back kitchen window ! That got me down somewhat so I was both upset and also fuming but realised this is how it's got to be, but it's difficult.

Some joy with the arrival of Mancgirl's new GS, though again, from a distance but being fit and well is the main thing. x flowers

I think Marydoll's deserving of some flowers too being " under-cover " for so long. Many of us have been able to get out and about.

Hope you feel a bit better today Harrigran x

Anyone else who's off-colour I hope things improve as the day goes on.

Back on the crumpets again as I was able to get some yesterday, only 1 pkt though so hopefully more next week.

Reading Urmston's post I was there, in my mind, enjoying the delights of being in that café and taking in all the sights and sounds of a balmy evening in Malaga. Brilliant.

Sun's out here now but that wind is still stiff at times with the sudden gusts and it's none too warm either.
Anyway, the continued message of stay safe and I wish you all a pleasant day whatever you do.xx

Gelisajams Sat 06-Jun-20 10:26:52

Good morning from a breezy dry Morecambe Bay.
Congratulations Mancgran on you new little GS. Our next door but one neighbour was expecting a baby boy at the end of May, but as far as I know he hasn’t arrived yet. I don’t see them much, especially at the moment, but at the end of April I asked when she was due. I started to crochet a pram blanket for her but it’s still not finished. I’d better get a wiggle on!
Take care and stay safe everyone.?

Purplepixie Sat 06-Jun-20 10:28:05

Good morning from a very wet and windy East Midlands.

Congratulations Mancgirl - a new baby is so wonderful!

Another day of trying to keep busy and feeling like screaming but hey I am not alone.

Stay safe and sane. X

Roses Sat 06-Jun-20 10:48:20

Congratulations Mancgirl ! A new baby boy so happy for you

Taichinan Sat 06-Jun-20 10:50:23

Morning all. The sun doth shine and the wind doth blow and the rain doth rain - no snow yet!) on the Angus coast. Had a lovely garden catch-up with a friend on Thursday which lasted all of 45 mins before rain and wind stopped play. I felt so inhospitable not being able to say let's go inside - but that will come I'm sure. I have always had a gloryhole - it's one of life's essentials! - although I'm careful not to use the term in mixed-generational company ?. I also have a glory drawer in the kitchen which is indispensable. I love clearing it out because there's always a prodigal something to come to light. Nothing planned for what looks to be a pretty mis. few days ahead weatherwise. But it's just the beginning of June, so there must be more lovely days to come. Enjoy your day in whatever way you can everyone. ???

gillgran Sat 06-Jun-20 10:53:06

Good Morning from a wet, windy & cool N.,Cambs.,
So cool that the heating came on earlier.!

Congratulations to Mancgirl on the safe arrival of your new grandson.
I've just discovered that this is the kindest post on GN.

(I commented on a different post yesterday, & was 'ridiculed', so I won't be doing that again). sad.

Urmstongran, & all other 'regulars', I love reading your posts, they cheer this rather boring, old gran up, so thank you all. flowers.

Take Care Folks

Mapleleaf Sat 06-Jun-20 11:02:01

Good morning all,

I haven't read through all the posts yet as I want to post before mid day ?.

Congratulations mancgirl you must be thrilled. ?

I was also going to suggest trying fresh parsley to chew scentia as it is supposed to get rid of the smell of garlic. Worth a try if you have some.

It's very breezy here today, and light rain showers are forecast between sunny intervals. At the moment it is still dry. It got very windy through the night, disturbed me more than once!
I was going to trim the front hedge a bit today, but it's too breezy, so it will have to wait a day or two until calmer conditions arrive.

I hope today is a good one, take care and stay safe.
I'll catch up with all the posts now. ?