Gransnet forums

Chat

Has anyone attended a school reunion

(81 Posts)
Judy54 Mon 15-Jun-20 14:11:36

Have you attended a school reunion and what was your experience good or bad. I have maintained contact with 2 people from my school days and we all get on well. The three of us went to a reunion a few years ago and found it anything but enjoyable. We felt like our lives were on show and that it was a competition to see who had done best. Could not wait to leave and would not do it again. Never heard from or kept contact with those we met at the reunion.

cassandra264 Wed 17-Jun-20 08:01:37

Went to a very successful reunion some years ago as a result of which several of us who were good friends at school but who had lost touch now meet up on an annual basis (pre Covid, anyway!)
What made the difference was that the organisers consulted everyone interested in coming about all the arrangements for the (weekend, not just one evening) event well beforehand, and we were able to make choices. We also had the chance to communicate with other people ahead of time which made chatting easier when we did meet.

MawB Wed 17-Jun-20 08:23:32

I went to one about 12 years ago and was so disappointed. Although I had been encouraged to go by an old old school friend describing it as “the best night ever” only two things stick in my mind - most of the “girls” had worn extremely well, but I had no idea who the balding old men with bulging beer bellies were. Surely not those fit (in every sense) teenage boys we used to sneak off to the pub with? ?

Pittcity Wed 17-Jun-20 08:55:56

Yes. I've been to several over the years and we just laughed and chatted like old friends. We have a Facebook group and post photos and news.
The biggest shock was when we realised that we were the same age as the then headmistress!

georgia101 Wed 17-Jun-20 09:16:06

I'm sorry your experience of school was so awful Geekesse, and am glad that you got to lay some ghosts eventually. I'm not surprised you find it hard to forgive and forget. I wouldn't want to go back for my school reunions either. I was painfully shy and although not bullied, I wasn't made welcome either. I've not seen anyone from those years since. My sisters all kept their friends from school so the fault must have been mine, but having plucked up the courage to ask if I could play with one group (that included my sister) and told in no uncertain terms to buzz off, I retreated into myself. Thankfully I'm a different person now, but would never, ever go to a reunion.

Caro57 Wed 17-Jun-20 12:01:00

Yes - been to school when it was closing down, also met up with some of 'my year' - we were going to again this weekend sad but one has just emailed suggesting we try to Zoom smile whole newexperience for me grin