Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(43 Posts)
12Michael Sat 20-Jun-20 06:19:59

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dry with grey cloud at the moment here in Brackley this morning.
Yesterday , was interesting as to my day , I went to Buckingham to see if I could get a toilet seat spare , was told return one i had without spares for fitting .
It made a break on the bus , meeting up with people I have not seen for 13 weeks .
And chatting with distancing and face masks on.
Got my Fish & Chips , shop owner glad to be reopened, instead of siting in the garden , but prices have gone up by 35p .
Take Care,
Mick

cornergran Sat 20-Jun-20 06:31:35

Morning Mick, morning All. Grey start to our corner of Somerset. Showery day forecast. Looks like we’ll need a raincoat and umbrella for our planned garden get together with family later. No matter, we’ll cope, excited to be seeing them for a couple of hours, worth the motorway journey. Sounds as if your day went well Mick, some sense of progress for you. Be gentle with yourselves everyone.

grandMattie Sat 20-Jun-20 06:34:34

Good morning from bright grey EKent.
Mick, I’m glad you managed to change your toilet seat. Your F&C must have tasted delicious, despite price hike. I think everything will go up.
Marydoll have you thought of doing the geriatric Olympics? Sound like you could win...?
Had a very grumpy day putting everything away. DH has had a brainwave. Put up the unwanted bookshelves in the garage to keep various things not fitting in the study. Would work, except that if I need to access them, I need to move the car. Ditto for the big freezer. It makes him happy - but I make sure hemoves the car each time. Curiously, he doesn’t seem to mind.
Hope today is gentle to you all.
Stay safe, stay well.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 20-Jun-20 06:41:57

Good morning Mick and everyone , from a grey and chilly Oxfordshire, another indoors day today, we’ve been gathering items ready for the builder to arrive Monday week, deliveries are taking so long to get here, but lo and behold woken up at the crack of dawn by a delivery truck full of wood a week early, all stashed in the garage now to keep dry, but not worth going back to bed.
So, another jigsaw on the go, ready to photograph and pop onto eBay, just to make sure it’s complete, unless one of the girls wants to borrow it, grrrrr tell me before I start it why don’t you!
Have a good day everyone. Yawn.........

NfkDumpling Sat 20-Jun-20 06:44:24

Morning All

A nearly clear blue sky here in the north of Norfolk this morning.

Hopefully it’s stay that way as we’re going over to DD2’s house for lunch in the garden with other GPs. It was SiL’s birthday last week so this is his birthday party!

Happy Saturday Everyone

brook2704 Sat 20-Jun-20 06:56:23

A very good morning to everyone from Inverness. I can now see the hill again from the bedroom window so it must be just cloudy today rather than foggy misty and murky - a slight improvement then !
I’m awake early as it’s so light in the mornings at the moment, I can usually get to sleep ok even when it’s light but tend to wake up ridiculously early. DH sleeps through anything. I’m already on my second cup of tea in bed together with a rich tea biscuit, a sort of early pre breakfast ? obviously standards are slipping ....
I think I’m going to DD2s garden today, I’m just waiting for the invite .....she’s a message you and expect you to drop everything and pop round straight away type of girl .... no point planning ahead with that one. Anyhow will see later !
Hope all lovely GNs have an enjoyable weekend, take care and have fun whatever you’re doing ?

Bellasnana Sat 20-Jun-20 06:58:42

Good morning everyone. It’s another lovely day here in Malta, in fact I probably needn’t give a weather report for the next couple of months as it is always the same.

Glad to hear you managed a bus ride Mick, and that it didn’t break down this time!

Hairdresser today, my treat for the week as I loathe washing it myself.

Hope you all have the best day possible.☀️

Beechnut Sat 20-Jun-20 07:01:46

Good Morning all from a cloudy and damp Severnside.

After my early morning shopping yesterday I had an extremely lazy day and then went to visit my friend late afternoon. I was told a story which when finished resulted in much laughter.

I think I’ll take today as it comes with some pottering.

I hope you all have a good day and enjoy your garden parties ?

Scentia Sat 20-Jun-20 07:16:23

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire. Off to work in a short while. Today I am taking one of my charges to the seaside as they have been super well behaved this week. I do think I have chosen the best day weather wise.
First a trip down to the factory to print out some very important forms. I think I will take the pooch for a walk to the factory and back so I better get a shift on!
Take care everyone and stay safe today❤️

Puzzler61 Sat 20-Jun-20 07:21:38

Good morning Mick and All. It’s a bright start in Worcs. but could go either way. I’ve woken early and am lying in bed looking out at the sky and trees, listening to the birds, while DH and the little cat are in/ on the bed snoring.

Mick I hope your fish & chips were tasty? We’ve not had any shop ones since they re-opened, but as grandMattie says, prices will be rising for many things.

Oopsadaisy I’ve got to sort out boxes of jigsaws. Since lockdown I must have done a dozen and have just been pushing the boxes back in a cupboard mixed up with ones I haven’t done. When the local hospice charity shop reopens I’ll let them have the “done” ones. Also have to pack some of DD2’s belongings into storage boxes as she doesn’t want it right now so it can go up in the loft (with all the other stuff we might need one day!)

No visiting or visitors expected today so I’ll spend time in the kitchen. I’ve got young rhubarb and Bramley apples to blanche and freeze, and feel a yearning to make a Lasagne for this evening.

To all who are having family meet ups, enjoy them and stay safe. Hope all have a happy Saturday. ?

Urmstongran Sat 20-Jun-20 07:22:05

Sun’s up here! ? (again!)
Good morning everyone from Malaga ? where 32°C is forecast today. No wonder Himself goes out for his brisk walk at the crack of dawn - it’s too hot later! What’s that saying ‘mad dogs & Englishmen go out in the midday sun!’
?

I agree Bellasnana we have no need to give a weather report. It will be hot and sunny on the Costa del Sol now until November. I always used to think families with small children would enjoy the October half term out here better than August - the flights are cheaper, the days are still hot without that searing heat and it’s slightly cooler at night making it easier to get to sleep. Win-win.

No plans for us today. It is a particularly beautiful start to the day though. I can smell the pine trees, the parakeets are their noisy selves and the swifts have just finished their acrobatic mad half hour. They give another display at dusk - around 9:30pm.

I think we’ll go down to Juan’s for cafe sombras and pitufo con tomate. Sit on his terrace and people watch. The locals getting their Saturday shopping. The state of emergency finishes tonight at midnight. Terrace bars can go back to 100% capacity and 75% indoors (in the air con with no smokers for those who prefer it).

Hope Saturday is good to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Puzzler61 Sat 20-Jun-20 07:24:01

Special mention to Bellasnana. Enjoy the hairdresser’s appointment. I have much envy and would love to be going to get my “Barnet” done today. ??‍?

Nortsat Sat 20-Jun-20 07:24:24

Good morning Mick and the GM team, from a sunny east London.

My partner’s niece had her first baby last week. Mother and baby are safely home and all potential health concerns have proven to be unfounded, thankfully. They live overseas so we can only send a gift. I chose a cot blanket with the baby’s name on it. It’s really lovely. We will parcel it up and post it early next week.

The other evening, my partner fell asleep on the sofa, whilst we were watching television. He woke up suddenly shouting ‘Norts where are you?’ ‘I’m here’ I said ( I was sitting on the sofa). ‘Oh’ came the reply ‘I thought you were up the chimney’, and then he went back to sleep.

When I next spend the evening up the chimney, I will be sure to mention it on the Good Morning thread the following day.

Online grocery shopping for me today and some housework.
I have some pizza bases in the freezer and some nice charcuterie in the fridge, so it’s an easy supper of pizza and salad for us tonight. I have a selected a film to watch, about the discovery of the prehistoric paintings in the caves of Altimera. (It’s a place I have always wanted to go ...)

Have a good day all and special good wishes to those who need them. ?

mumofmadboys Sat 20-Jun-20 07:27:45

Good morning all. Dry but dull in Cumbria. Slept very badly. Just kept waking up and feeling wide awake. Off for cycle now. Hope you all have a happy and peaceful day. Keep safe

Ginny42 Sat 20-Jun-20 07:32:42

Good morning Mick and everyone from Cheshire. It was such a sunny morning an hour ago and now it's clouded over. I was awakened at 6.00 by four magpies locked in what seemed mortal combat. Surely not mating? confused I had to lean out of the window and pour water on them to get them to stop. What a racket!

Glad you were able to meet up with your friends on the buses again Mick and hope you enjoyed your fish and chips. Things are slowly creeping back to normal.

A walk and chat with neighbours as usual then a pottering day and hope it stays dry long enough to tidy up the garden of rose petals everywhere and peonies looking very sorry for themselves. I'm hoping it will be fine enough for a garden visit from a friend tomorrow.

Have a good day everyone and enjoy meeting with family again. I have to make do with Skype, but DD does call me a dozen times a day! Yesterday she sent me my DGS's art work and that cheered me up. I'm desperate to find something to send for his birthday, so I will see what I can find online.

Brunette10 Sat 20-Jun-20 07:42:21

Good Morning from a brightish Fife, could be in for some more rain I fear. Had to postpone our visit from DD yesterday so here's hoping we will get it done today. So miss them all. At least it's dry for the moment. Have a good day everyone, keep your chin up.

farview Sat 20-Jun-20 07:45:04

That made me laugh Nortsat
Morning all,sunny in Lancashire..?

Sar53 Sat 20-Jun-20 07:48:03

Good morning everyone from a sunny, for now, Essex by the sea.
We had a very enjoyable Zoom quiz and chat with my daughters and SIL's last night. I haven't seen any of them since February so this is the next best thing. My eldest daughter is 44 today, how did that happen, I dont feel much older than that myself ??.
Not sure what the plan is today. Hopefully the new car we are buying will have been delivered to the garage and we can go and look at it. My team are playing football this evening , so we will be watching them and having a curry from our favourite takeaway.
Have a lovely Saturday flowers and stay safe xx

NanKate Sat 20-Jun-20 07:50:16

Morning Mick and All.

Things are starting to warm up in South Bucks. The week ahead looks like a scorcher.

I had my first Zoom experience yesterday and chatted to my friend for an hour. The Jury is out whether I prefer it to a phone call.

Have a good day folks.

Gelisajams Sat 20-Jun-20 07:57:37

Good morning from Morecambe Bay where it is now dry following quite torrential rain yesterday. I’m still in bed with my large cup of tea waiting for my weekly phone call from Somerset.
I went to the garden nursery again yesterday, but there was hardly any stock left and no compost. The church garden will have to wait for its new plants. I could split some of mine but it’s not the best time to do that especially as another run of dry weather is forecast. Hope that’s right as I managed to get another 2 visits to NT sites next week. One quite local and another in Yorkshire. We just used to take the visits for granted, but now they seem such a treat.
Not sure what the day will hold, I’d like to visit a friend in Cumbria but the weather needs to play ball so we can sit in her garden and I’m not sure it’s going to!
Take care and safe everyone ?

Pittcity Sat 20-Jun-20 08:08:24

Good morning from sunny Colchester. It's the longest day and the one where the dawn chorus is earliest and loudest. Maybe it was magpies like Ginny
DH slept through but I am a bit bleary eyed.
Nothing planned for the weekend. Garden and TV I expect.
Stay alert all!

ninathenana Sat 20-Jun-20 08:12:46

Good morning from sunny Kent.
Will be picking Himself up from the supermarket soon. Then need to do some tidying and try and occupy myself for the rest of the day.
Good wishes to all those with troubles and ills. Sorry I'm not up to date with this thread.

Mythbirtthedragon Sat 20-Jun-20 08:26:00

Good morning from east London, bright and sunny but clouds look to be gathering. Highlight of the day is a trip to the tip as they’ve relaxed restrictions on what we can take there. Appointment is booked although as DP’s back is playing up again, I’ll be doing most of the carrying. Hopefully the news of pubs reopening will cheer him up a bit. Hope you have a good day.

harrigran Sat 20-Jun-20 08:34:53

Good morning from a brighter NE.
Went for a walk after lunch yesterday, it was just around the perimeter of the estate, there were so many people out you could not just amble.
Struggled to find something to watch on TV last night then came across the film Their Finest, wartime propaganda fim makers, really enjoyed it.
DH has been out for a newspaper so it is breakfast time now.
Take care everyone.

Marydoll Sat 20-Jun-20 08:36:44

Good morning all from Glasgow, where the sun is peeping through the clouded.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your day out Mick. You have put me in the notion for a fish supper tonight. The only problem is that we need to get it delivered and it's usually a bit soggy by the time it arrives.

Bellasnana, I ended up cutting my hair yesterday, I was so desparate. I will be in even more need of a proper haircut by the time. I'm set free. The earliest I will be allowed a haircut is August! Since lockdown began I have blonde ( probably actually white) streaks appearing in my naturally red hair, my neighbours think I have secretly been getting highlights put in at the hairdressers.?

Yesterday was a busy day indeed. I attempted a haircut, did a batch of baking and then a bit of housework, while DH was golfing,
However, DH appeared to have sprinted around the golf course, he was back far too soon for my liking!! wink

My lovely neighbour invited me over to sit in her garden. She had moved all the furniture more than 2m apart and was spraying everything with Dettol when I arrived.
Then my other neighbour friend arrived and we spent the afternoon putting the world to rights. We three have been following the guidelines rigorously, so I felt quite safe.
It was such a tonic to have some company.

Then it all went pear shaped. The Tesco delivery arrived and things went downhill from them.
I had a mixture of our shopping, my daughter's and my lovely neighbour's all in my porch.
It feels like doing a marathon trying to separate it all out, Grandmattie, that's the only geriatric Olympics, I will be attempting from now on.
Then I realised some of my items were missing and there were bags of things I didn't think were on the list.
DH had to phone DD whose was working from home and was in the middle of a conference call. She was not amused!

It turned out some random shopper had my shopping and me theirs. I phoned Tesco and got the loveliest and most helpful young lady.
As I'm shielding and due to the danger of cross contamination, they would have to send me a new order, rather than get the driver to return with mine. Their decision, not mine. Full marks Tesco.
Initially I was told I could keep all of the stranger's order, (yippee) but when they realised how many bags there were, it had to go back.☹️
A couple of hours later, a new delivery arrived. Some items were still missing, including my PORTUGUESE CUSTARD TARTS and the lamb was off!.

Back onto Tesco again. A lovely young man adjusted my bill, refunded my delivery charge and gave me a voucher as compensation. Well done Tesco! Whew, I was exhausted and of course so was Mr MD, who was happy to offer advice, from the comfort of the sofa, tired after a hard day's work on the golf course. wink

Looking forward to DD's visit today, her fiancé is a star, having gone for my many prescriptions, as I'm too far away to get them delivered. He now has it on a shopping app, where he reads the fourteen items out to the pharmacist to tick off, as there is usually something missing and the chemist is quite a distance away, it's a pain to have to go back.
The pharmacy staff are most impressed with my his technical expertise. ?

Wishing everyone a pleasant day and hoping it won't be too wet where you are.