Gransnet forums

Chat

Pubs opening June 4th

(62 Posts)
Nanderin Sat 20-Jun-20 07:54:36

Hi so apparently pubs are opening, like we need that.angry

JenniferEccles Sat 20-Jun-20 09:43:48

Well yes I know there has been some teaching but couldn’t the holiday period be reduced to a couple of weeks?

If children don’t return until September they will have been off for nearly six months.
It’s feared that some from deprived households will never catch up.

I believe Danish children returned a few weeks ago and there has been no noticeable increase in transmission there since then.

Sparklefizz Sat 20-Jun-20 09:54:44

Ellianne How does that work then with carveries in pubs? I mean the ones where we all line up in a queue, people cough over the food, all touch the same serving spoons and dig around in the troughs, then all touch the handle of the gravy jug before proceeding to our table?

Well, frankly, who would ever want to eat there in the first place??

Kate1949 Sat 20-Jun-20 09:56:28

We'd love to be going to our local for the weekly pub quiz which we've been attending for many years. It's really enjoyable. I can't see it happening in the near future.

Lucca Sat 20-Jun-20 10:00:30

Why am I rising to the bait ..... Jennifer Eccles there has been more than “some teaching”
It is kind of soul destroying to hear you say that when,if you read carefully, you can see how much work teachers have been doing and to be quite honest I don’t think they will stop for the usual amount of time

Calendargirl Sat 20-Jun-20 10:03:25

I think carveries in pubs will be a thing of the past, the same as buffet meals in hotels, at least for some time in the future.

NannyJan53 Sat 20-Jun-20 10:05:49

My daughter has worked non stop teaching. So many ignorant people about who assume teachers have an easy ride!

Ellianne Sat 20-Jun-20 10:10:13

I agree Calendargirl and Sparklefizz. Personally I prefer waiter service where the food is brought to me on a plate at the table. It's all part of the experience.
There are, however, lots of people who like to pile up their pub meals from food lying on the hot plates or on the salad bars. Especially senior citizens who get a discount on certain days of the week. Oh dear, another rethink. grin

Ellianne Sat 20-Jun-20 10:13:37

And then there's the children in pubs who will lick their fingers and then play on the equipment or use the toilet. And also the football fanatics who will watch the matches on the TV and cheer at the goals and expel particles everywhere!

Teetime Sat 20-Jun-20 10:17:21

Pubs and cafes here have been getting ready to open their gardens and outdoor areas and some have spent a great deal of money putting up screens, semi permanent outdoor structures, installing ap ordering etc and many are saying it will be reservations only for meals. We are really looking forward to going back to our local watering holes and I am looking forward to having someone cook the dinner a couple of times a week.

Galaxy Sat 20-Jun-20 10:18:44

In terms of the economy I do wonder about the long term affects on peoples behaviour. I have changed a lot of my behaviour completely and cant imagine reverting to old behaviours. I cant be the only one. I pretty much popped into a shop every day, I wont ever do that again, I live 40 mins from my work, if there was a work do in a pub or restaurant I would travel to go there, I wont do that again, I think many of us have learnt what we actually like doing during this period rather than what we have become accustomed to doing.

Ellianne Sat 20-Jun-20 10:27:02

How does app ordering work Teetime? Is the menu displayed on your phone? Does it work for both food and drinks?

Puzzler61 Sat 20-Jun-20 10:28:24

Sparkledizz Quite! ?

Puzzler61 Sat 20-Jun-20 10:31:09

sorry Sparklefizz , don’t know where the d came from.

Davidhs Sat 20-Jun-20 10:31:53

Personally I think the 4th July is too early to allow close contact that pubs would bring, however certain pub groups have vowed to open regardless. The Government hasn’t yet made any announcement, we will see what happens if any open against the rules.

If social distancing rules are relaxed to 1 meter there probably would not be much of a risk from brief contact, in a pub or restaurant situation it’s going to be prolonged contact and probably closer than 1 meter, any virus would spread.

If pubs open schools should return to normal in September,
trying to social distance all children all day is a nonsense.

Callistemon Sat 20-Jun-20 10:33:54

You obviously don't know any teachers, JenniferEccles.

Maggiemaybe Sat 20-Jun-20 10:38:18

Goodness, Ellianne, you seem to know some very unsavoury establishments, chaotic, unhygienic and serving food to unsavoury characters from troughs. As for people expelling particles, the mind boggles. grin

Round here we have some good gastro pubs, with hardworking people making and serving innovative food to rival the local restaurants. And some friendly traditional local pubs with regular quiz nights and music nights.

Your locals sound like throwbacks to the worst pubs of the 70s.

JenniferEccles Sat 20-Jun-20 10:47:57

Interesting how none of you have mentioned what would be in children’s best interest regarding whether to reopen schools.

Every comment has been from the teacher’s perspective.

Very enlightening.

With regards to the original question of pubs reopening, I would think that self service carvery type places would be a thing of the past, at least for now.

Ellianne Sat 20-Jun-20 10:51:26

Don't get me wrong, MaggieMay, I like to eat at the River Café, le Gavroche and Mere where hygiene standards are impeccable. What I said is that many a Brit enjoys a carvery in a pub where one queues up at the counter even though implements are shared by all.
And yes particles ARE expelled when one shouts or sings chants etc. Why do you think choirs are not allowed to return?

Sparklefizz Sat 20-Jun-20 11:00:28

Is it in the children's best interests if teachers/admin staff/school caterers become ill and the school has to close temporarily for lack of staff?

Interesting how none of you have mentioned what would be in children’s best interest regarding whether to reopen schools.

PinkCakes Sat 20-Jun-20 11:02:11

I won't be rushing to go to the pubs. I used to go to one place every week, to enjoy live music there. That won't be happening again for a long time.

I'm looking forward to being able to go out for a meal occasionally.

Sussexborn Sat 20-Jun-20 11:04:47

We are collecting our Sunday lunch from a local carvery tomorrow at the prearranged time slot. Totally booked up and we just scraped in at 4pm. Will be eating in DD1s garden appropriately spaced. GS2s birthday and mine.

Those who are concerned can stay indoors for as long as they choose. We are very fortunate and have no underlying health issues so intend easing back into our lives once more as far as possible.

Ellianne Sat 20-Jun-20 11:07:37

Great idea Sussexborn, pubs are going a great job boxing up carveries. I've seen some lovely photos. Enjoy your get together.

Callistemon Sat 20-Jun-20 11:09:07

JenniferEccles

Every comment has been from the teacher’s perspective.

Very enlightening.

With regards to the original question of pubs reopening, I would think that self service carvery type places would be a thing of the past, at least for now.

I have grandchildren too.

Of course we have their best interests in mind and so do the teachers who will be the ones to ensure that they stay safe and well whilst in their care.
They are going to have to be more vigilant than ever. It's not like ensuring that a couple of your own DC or DGC stay safe at home.

Sussexborn Sat 20-Jun-20 11:09:48

The teachers union are determined to thwart the govt and one of them made it clear what she really felt about those entrusted to her. Presumably she felt fine saying this in a group of others so at least some of them feel the same way.

Teachers are definitely not all saints though many seem to think they are.

Callistemon Sat 20-Jun-20 11:10:53

We tended to go to pubs for a lunch-time meal, meeting up with friends and relatives and we'll look forward to enjoying that again.