Gransnet forums

Chat

Listening to Boris

(29 Posts)
watermeadow Tue 23-Jun-20 17:30:17

Our Beloved Leader (ha ha) has just been giving the daily briefing, giving the daily woolly unclear waffle.
I have no idea what he said because all I can hear is his ridiculous manner of speaking, which completely prevents me hearing anything else.
He might have said, “For lunch I had AY sandwich with AY pack of crisps and AY tomato. It was AY feast and AY treat for AY person who lives in AY cave with AY cat and AY dog and AY baby too.”
Does he do this deliberately, to distract us from his uselessness?

Pittcity Tue 23-Jun-20 17:34:25

Even if we could make out what he is saying, the meaning would be something completely different.
I get more confused about what we can and can't do every day.

Sparkling Tue 23-Jun-20 17:39:29

Probably best if you don’t put yourself through it if you can’t understand him, a bit of a pointless exercise. I don’t have a problem myself understanding him, might not agree.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 23-Jun-20 17:42:43

I am totally confused about whats happening, I have lost track. I can't stand listening to Boris or Bunter as we call him at home, he waffles and he keeps putting the emphasis on such odd words or letters. Anyway it doesn't matter what he says he either does a u-turn, doesn't finish it or we don't believe him. so as far as I am concerned he can just waffle on.

Ilovecheese Tue 23-Jun-20 17:48:49

Yes, I can listen to him and then think "what did he say?" Doesn't seem to happen when I listen to other people. I think it is the strange emphasis on certain words or parts of words.
I wonder if he himself understands or believes what he is saying.

Melanie61 Tue 23-Jun-20 17:49:17

Whatever he does, someone will find fault with.

grumppa Tue 23-Jun-20 17:53:47

Boris, Bunter, Boggis, Toad of Toad Hall - he’s a man of many names. I thought that today he was quite lucid.... for him.

12Michael Tue 23-Jun-20 17:56:39

Its Gobbledegook a public sector language, not a straight to the point reply or question or answer.
Going via John o Groats to Lands End and back instead of a basic reply .
His clarity is poor to be honest Matt Hancock has a clearer delivery .
Mick

Harris27 Tue 23-Jun-20 17:58:53

I’m just glad we are moving forward.

EllanVannin Tue 23-Jun-20 18:00:46

He waffles to play for time while thinking of what else to say that'll make sense because he himself hasn't got a clue what he talks about.
It's his way of side-tracking something he's not very well up on.

Academia isn't everything, you need common sense to back it up----you can't have both grin

BlueSky Tue 23-Jun-20 18:27:03

Have you tried subtitles?

vegansrock Tue 23-Jun-20 18:27:09

Today he was reading off a script. When he’s free range it’s all ums and ahhs and piffle wiffle with the odd Latin phrase. He is no orator.

blossom14 Tue 23-Jun-20 19:28:15

I wonder how he speaks in a one to one conversation. I am another one who finds the emphasis on certain words - in no particular order, really grates on me and makes it difficult to follow what he is trying to say

Whitewavemark2 Tue 23-Jun-20 21:08:28

In the words of a politician.. “nothing has changed”

Prof Cath Noakes
@CathNoakes
In case you were wondering, the physics of droplets and aerosols hasn’t changed. 2m is still safer than 1m. And the same mitigation applies - ventilate, wear a face covering, wash your hands, clean surfaces, stay apart.

JuneRose Tue 23-Jun-20 22:23:15

I've lost faith in Boris. He does waffle and muddle his words so much it's uncomfortable to listen to him. He doesn't seen like the sharpest tool in the box these days.

lemongrove Tue 23-Jun-20 22:30:34

He’s always been like this, it’s how he is.An orator? No, although he can be articulate when he puts his mind to it.
Your post made me laugh watermeadow?
I have stopped watching the daily briefing, I read the next day whatever is happening, tbh I think a weekly briefing at the most is all that’s needed now.
Just pleased that for a lot of people a sort of normality will be restored, jobs and lives depend upon it.

Callistemon Tue 23-Jun-20 23:15:51

All they had to say was that z*face masks are compulsory when out in public*.

Whingingmom Tue 23-Jun-20 23:29:57

There is a new wordto describe Boris’ manner of speaking “gesticulation”. It means to wave one’s arms about whilst speaking bollocks.
(Apologies if anyone finds the swear word offensive).

Whingingmom Tue 23-Jun-20 23:32:08

Testiculation!!! Blooming autocorrect. Mistake makes it funnier though - almost a Boris like error.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 24-Jun-20 17:49:05

Love the Whingingmom

Barmeyoldbat Wed 24-Jun-20 17:50:40

It should be love the word, but the word disappeared.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 24-Jun-20 19:53:54

Today at PMQs I thought he looked and sounded deranged.

Blinko Wed 24-Jun-20 20:02:23

He is very clearly completely out of his depth. The current crisis requires leadership skills which he demonstrably doesn't possess.

Time and again Keir Starmer has him nailed like a moth to the pin board.

This is no time for waffle and bamboozling.

annodomini Wed 24-Jun-20 20:53:41

I didn't bother listening to the press briefing because the news reader had already told us most of what Boris was going to say. This usually happens when some big announcement is coming. A press release gives the gist (or even details) of it in advance and then it's all repeated!

Urmstongran Wed 24-Jun-20 21:28:03

I thought it was good to see him looking better. He came back to work too soon after C-19. He looked washed out. He seems more his old self now. He will go from strength to strength now he’s got his mojo back!