Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you pay this price?

(97 Posts)
grannyactivist Tue 23-Jun-20 22:10:37

I'm looking for a new colander. It needs to be sturdy, fit over a brewing bucket (I'm trying my hand at making wine for the first time) and preferably made of stainless steel. I intend to buy one from my local cook shop (we have two excellent ones locally), but I wanted an idea of cost and design, so I googled - and saw this 5 quart 18/8 Oxo Good Grips colander on Amazon. It costs an eye watering £81.29 (& FREE Delivery)!! Further down the same page is a very similar one that costs only £11.99 and looks to be very well made and good value.

It got me thinking about who it is that buys such very expensive items, someone must do so - is it you?

Bridgeit Tue 23-Jun-20 22:16:12

No not me, my cooking doesn’t warrant it, my money would probably be better spent on a take away?

SueDonim Tue 23-Jun-20 22:17:53

I bought a large stainless steel colander from M&S probably as many as 20 years ago. It wasn’t cheap but nowhere near that price! It’s still as perfect as the day I first used it - money well spent in this case.

BlueBelle Tue 23-Jun-20 22:17:56

Me too bridgeit I d probably look round the charity shops ???

Callistemon Tue 23-Jun-20 22:42:05

I can't remember where I bought my stainless steel colander many years ago, perhaps TK Maxx or M&S.
Home Sense is good for known makes at reasonable prices, I think it is a sister company of TK Maxx.

Mine was far cheaper than that one.

lemongrove Tue 23-Jun-20 22:49:38

Forty years ago, I needed a new colander and went into a hardware shop to buy one, we had just moved house and had no real money for fripperies.The old shop assistant brought me a stainless steel one ( he said he never stocked plastic ones) it was £10! I bought it because we needed one, but DH nearly had a fit later, when he heard the price.I still have the colander and it’s as good as new after all those years of use.
So.....yes, if you can, buy a good one.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 23-Jun-20 23:06:24

This looks like the same one grannyactavist £35.79. Same product code.

www.storkz.com/oxo-1134700.html?currency=GBP&country=GB&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0Mb3BRCaARIsAPSNGpUItrKY_-8vSaCTCFuJEYi1kglyZD5zOcCRrrdVWTLdJxNdf3JL1-caAq55EALw_wcB

MissAdventure Tue 23-Jun-20 23:09:43

I would never pay that much for what I think is just a basic object.
I mean, it's a thing with holes in, and that's going to be what all icelanders are.

MissAdventure Tue 23-Jun-20 23:10:19

Nooo! Colander.

JuneRose Tue 23-Jun-20 23:16:00

Got a red plastic one from a charity shop for a couple of quid years ago. Can't see why i'd ever need another one! I don't think it will wear out. Some people have more money than sense. ?

maddyone Tue 23-Jun-20 23:17:31

I’ve got a cheap plastic colander, I’ve had it for years. If I needed a stainless steel one as obviously you do grannyactivist I wouldn’t pay that much, I’d buy the cheaper one. It’s only a colander when all’s said and done.

grannyactivist Tue 23-Jun-20 23:18:13

WOODMOUSE49 well found - it is exactly the same one, which just goes to show what the mark up is. It probably costs no more than about £5 to make.

Grannynannywanny Tue 23-Jun-20 23:24:32

I upgraded from a plastic one to a medium size stainless steel one about 5 years ago.

I spotted them in the £1 shop. It felt decent quality and I thought I’d give it a go. Standing at the checkout I began to think this can’t possibly cost £1.

I was right. The checkout girl said I’d selected from the 2 for £1 bargain wall! She told me to select another item to go with the 50p colander. It’s in regular use and dishwasher friendly and looks as good as the day I bought it 5 years ago.

Evie64 Tue 23-Jun-20 23:35:57

Weird isn't it how you can walk into one shop and see something and then another and its half the price. Just goes to show how some shops are ripping us off, you pay for the name.

BlueSky Tue 23-Jun-20 23:47:50

If you got that kind of money, £80 would be the same as £8 to you, that's how I see it.

welbeck Wed 24-Jun-20 00:15:41

i buy most of my household things in pound shops; sometimes i have to pay two pounds.
you can get good things if you choose carefully.
bargain buys and the might pound i find are good.
a branded item, esp anything aimed at the disabled market, like good grips is, often seems exorbitant price.
glad someone's found you the same item for half the price.

welbeck Wed 24-Jun-20 00:18:05

the mighty pound.
got a good bread knife there. also hand towels. stationery items. a large floaty scarf that i've been using as a face covering since begin march.

SueDonim Wed 24-Jun-20 00:21:29

I’m laughing at Misadventure’s icelanders with holes in them! grin

DillytheGardener Wed 24-Jun-20 00:34:23

I have a bit of a mixture cheap and some nicer bits from John Lewis. When my son moved back in he had all Le Creset pans and copper pots, which he swore by, but I wasn’t allowed to try them to see if they were better than my cheaper versions ? I personally use a plastic el cheapo colander!

welbeck Wed 24-Jun-20 01:57:43

yes, i wondered about the icelanders with holes in them.
thought it was some dire consequence of global warming.

grannyactivist Wed 24-Jun-20 02:12:14

I should point out that never in a month of Sundays would I ever consider spending more than £15 on a colander! I was simply looking at average prices so that I'd have an idea what instruction to give my husband when I ask him to go to the local shop to get one for me.

I know a couple of people who have a lot of money and I suspect BlueSky is right, that people will pay what they can afford. Having said that, although one of my close relatives is now very wealthy and will spend huge amounts on a car or a holiday she still wouldn't pay over the odds for kitchen equipment.

kittylester Wed 24-Jun-20 07:15:36

I love Good Grips stuff and think it is very good quality and lasts well. But that is a crazy price. Even the Woodmouses on-line one.

Personally, I'd never use a plastic colander.

Alima Wed 24-Jun-20 07:34:04

Since lockdown began I have noticed that many items when becoming hard to source shoot up alarmingly in price. Meaning if someone is desperate to buy whatever it is they will pay silly money. For example, a 5L tub of fence paint at over £40 or a jigsaw puzzle at £30. Once the items are mass produced again I am sure the price will go back to normal, unless many people pay the silly money of course.

GrannySomerset Wed 24-Jun-20 08:20:09

Our stainless steel colander was a wedding present 58 years ago. It came from Harrods in a huge box and impressed us enormously! Still looks like new.

25Avalon Wed 24-Jun-20 08:39:56

granny activist that is one heck of a price and probably made in China like the rest. I scrolled down the page on Amazon to other recommends and there is one in S/S from Bright for £11.99!! Can’t see the point in spending £80 unless you are going to use it every day and live to be 150 and leave it in your will!

What wine are you thinking of making and what is the colander for? I’m thinking of having a go at Rhubarb wine which my granny always used to make about now ready for Christmas, but it makes no mention of a colander. Also does your recipe need wine yeast as idk where to get that from. Bet granny didn’t use it?!