Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you pay this price?

(98 Posts)
grannyactivist Tue 23-Jun-20 22:10:37

I'm looking for a new colander. It needs to be sturdy, fit over a brewing bucket (I'm trying my hand at making wine for the first time) and preferably made of stainless steel. I intend to buy one from my local cook shop (we have two excellent ones locally), but I wanted an idea of cost and design, so I googled - and saw this 5 quart 18/8 Oxo Good Grips colander on Amazon. It costs an eye watering £81.29 (& FREE Delivery)!! Further down the same page is a very similar one that costs only £11.99 and looks to be very well made and good value.

It got me thinking about who it is that buys such very expensive items, someone must do so - is it you?

JackyB Wed 24-Jun-20 08:43:39

I have a plastic colander I bought as part of a set of plastic bowls shortly after we married, late 70s. I don't really use it much, but it's still fine. I don't fancy the thought of a metal colander, even though I love stainless steel.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 24-Jun-20 08:55:31

No, I wouldn't pay the higher price which is scandalous. They say you get what you pay for but some things really aren't worth the extra. I think you need to ask yourself how much use you will get out of it.

In your area is there a shop like B&M Bargains or TK Maxx? Sometimes they have end of lines which are good value but it can be a bit hit and miss - when it's gone it's gone - but always worth a try.

MerylStreep Wed 24-Jun-20 08:57:41

grannyactivist
If you are thinking seriously about buying the Storkz colander, be aware that it's coming from America.
I ordered a painting pre lockdown. After a time the company informed me they are having serious delivery problems because of quarantine. They couldn't tell me when I might get it so offered a refund.

Bathsheba Wed 24-Jun-20 09:01:34

I remember reading somewhere that when an eBay seller is out of stock of an item, they change the price to a silly amount so that no one orders anything until the item's back in stock. It keeps their listing active, because there is no facility to show an item is temporarily unavailable. Also, if they withdraw the item from their 'shop' then they lose everything associated with it, e.g. all the 5* reviews, 'best match' on eBay and in Google searches and so on.

Maybe it's similar with Amazon partners.

Nortsat Wed 24-Jun-20 09:10:08

I have an Emma Bridgewater colander, which was about £40, but I wanted the EB design, so I bought it. I wouldn’t pay £80. I do find buying good quality kitchen items, is good value in the longer run, because they last well (I always scour the sales).

Having said that my partner bought me a set of Joseph Joseph chopping boards, as part of my Chr***mas present one year and paid over £70 for them. I wouldn’t pay that price for chopping boards either...

sodapop Wed 24-Jun-20 09:22:13

Definitely stainless steel but not at £80 paying for the brand name.

I think that with kitchen equipment it depends a great deal on how serious a cook you are. If you enjoy cooking and spend a lot of time in the kitchen then it's worth investing in the best you can afford. That means I would probably be paying about 50 pence for mine. smile

TrendyNannie6 Wed 24-Jun-20 09:24:44

No way would I, 15 pound at most

timetogo2016 Wed 24-Jun-20 09:32:39

Is it silver i wonder ?.
If not no way would i pay that amount.

Witzend Wed 24-Jun-20 09:41:19

Goodness knows who’d pay that - people with so much money that £2 or £200 makes absolutely no difference?

Not long ago in a local big dept. store I saw a large stock pot type thing - was interested to check the price since I’d not long bought one for a dd - a John Lewis own brand, lifetime guarantee, about £55.

This one in the dept. store was something like £300! or maybe even more, I forget, but it was staggering!

I asked a nearby salesperson whether they ever sold any - he laughed and said just one, but they’d swiftly returned it. It was part made of titanium or some such.

henetha Wed 24-Jun-20 09:50:15

I would never pay that sort of money for a basic item.
My colander was from the Pound shop and is very sturdy.

Funnygran Wed 24-Jun-20 09:51:20

When I got married 51 years ago we went to Woolco (anyone remember them) and bought lots of bits and pieces for the kitchen including a plastic colander. I reckon it's been used pretty much every day since then, been through the dishwasher, been dropped and is still as good as the day I bought it. It does make me realise though how long plastic will hang around in landfill.

Gma29 Wed 24-Jun-20 09:51:48

No, I think it’s worth paying for robust kitchenware, but that, to my mind is just too much.

Theoddbird Wed 24-Jun-20 09:56:23

I have a vintage enamel one....has to be 70 plus years old. Works perfectly when I need one.

Rosyanne Wed 24-Jun-20 09:58:32

I make a lot of wine from loads of different things and I have never used a colander. I always strain the fruit through a muslin bag, as in a Lakeland plastics jam making. I currently have 8 gallons fermenting and 78 bottles to get through. I use my grandmothers recipe which is just 4lb fruit,2 lb sugar, 1 gallon of boiling water and a teaspoon of yeast. Simples

Bellocchild Wed 24-Jun-20 09:59:21

I think Ikea used to do them.

Suziemarie Wed 24-Jun-20 10:05:30

I'd pay that price if it was made in the UK rather than buying cheap rubbish from China, but before I bought it I'd double check. 40 years ago I paid about £30 (which was a lot then) for an egg pocher and £180 for pans, both still perfect so it depends if it's quality you want.

Callistemon Wed 24-Jun-20 10:13:26

I'd check to see what was the RRP first - sometimes, if an item is nearly out of stock or discontinued, people will buy up all available stock and sell the product on some sites at a huge premium.

I wouldn't pay silly money to line someone's pocket.

Ealdemodor Wed 24-Jun-20 10:17:56

81 quid!!?? I should cocoa! Recently bought one for £8 from John Lewis (stainless steel) and I think they had a bigger one.

Callistemon Wed 24-Jun-20 10:22:55

Ealdemodor

81 quid!!?? I should cocoa! Recently bought one for £8 from John Lewis (stainless steel) and I think they had a bigger one.

John Lewis have a gold one for less than that.
I dont know if it's solid or just gold plate.

esgt1967 Wed 24-Jun-20 10:25:52

I have noticed this with Amazon, the price of some items is absolutely astronomical. There is no way you should pay £80 for a colander and the seller should be ashamed of themselves for even offering this item for this price. I don't know how much I paid for mine but, as others have said, it's effectively a dish with holes in so even if you get a cheap, rubbish one and you have to replace it every week that's better than paying stupid money for such a basic item.

4allweknow Wed 24-Jun-20 10:26:31

That seems extortionate. I have a few Good Grip items but would never pay that. M& S colander bought a good 20 years ago, changed from plastic to stainless steel to steam some veg on top of a pan. Sure there are loads much cheaper. Do check the feet though to make sure there are no rough edges and the ball feet are completely sealed.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 24-Jun-20 10:28:10

No, that's plain daft! I have a stainless steel colander I bought from Asda years ago at Asda prices, can't remember how much, and it is still going strong. What's that saying about fools and their monies soon being parted?! (Not the OP obviously, as she's querying the high cost).

Riggie Wed 24-Jun-20 10:35:32

Sometimea the pricing on amazkn js just weird. I needed to get a replacement for my one pint pyrex jug and they were £15 upwards on amazon! I had a tesco delivery slot and thought Id look on there...£4!!

annodomini Wed 24-Jun-20 10:38:05

Have you tried Dunelm, GA? They have very similar products to the ones you can find in Lakeland and the quality is fine. I have a stainless steel colander which I have had for ever, so long that I have no idea where I bought it from. I certainly didn't pay a ridiculous price for it.

jennyvg Wed 24-Jun-20 10:50:00

grannyactivist have you had a look on Lakeland? their products are always good quality, and maybe a touch less expensive