Gransnet forums

Chat

My turn to do the zoom quiz. Help.

(56 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Sun 28-Jun-20 07:09:16

We have been doing these for a while now. We have quite a wide range of ages taking part so it can be tricky to set the questions. Some of us don’t know what LOL means and the younger ones don’t know their proverbs!

I think the best round we had was my DD’s. Who said this? Homer Simpson or Mr. Trump?
Last week my sister had us drawing car marques. Even awarded an extra point for artistic ability??‍♀️. As my artistic prowess is non existent I didn’t get extra points.
Have any of you got ideas for fun and slightly different rounds.
This week I’ve decided to get them to get them to guess what I’m making from a list of ingredients. So far I’ve got pancakes, SC pastry, meringues and Victoria sponge. 6 more to go

rowyn Sun 28-Jun-20 11:20:34

This is being selfish rather than helpful. I unearthed an old quiz sheet recently which gives clues to the names of dances; e.g. William's dance (4) = Morris .
No answers though. I can work out all but two. Can anyone answer these?
Cambridge v Oxford (4) ?
Brighton in the 60s ( 5,2,3,4) ?
Oh and is the answer to this one a minuet?
A minute minute (6)
If interested I can post the quiz . with or without answers.

ninathenana Sun 28-Jun-20 11:25:02

Find a
clothes peg, safety pin, rubber, fruit, tin beans

Riggie Sun 28-Jun-20 11:25:23

My husband once devised a General Knowledge quiz where the questions/answers were all about military Generals!!

annie55w Sun 28-Jun-20 11:26:01

When we do a zoom call with grandchildren from 3 different households we have a little chat and catchup then we play quiz games on Kahoot.Good range of subjects for all abilities.

Granjax33 Sun 28-Jun-20 11:27:23

Categories are always good. So many choices. Anyone picks a letter eg A then you choose 3 categories which must begin with the chosen letter eg name flower country. Easy!

Lucca Sun 28-Jun-20 11:29:30

I can give you a list of the cheese sevi ce station ones if you like... but later.

cassandra264 Sun 28-Jun-20 11:33:38

If you all come from the same geographical area, a popular one can be guessing the names of popular places from pictures shared on screen (sometimes from unusual angles). This can give equality to the younger members if thought through beforehand.
Or, if not, well known landmarks. Make 60% of the questions easy; 30% fairly tricky; and the remaining 10% absolute stinkers!

PamelaJ1 Sun 28-Jun-20 11:54:05

Wow I’ve just found sporcle.com
And got up a quiz entitled Ikea chair or swear.
Tanjamaltija, that must have taken you ages to type. I think I’ll just take a screenshot.?

PamelaJ1 Sun 28-Jun-20 12:12:30

Lucca yes please.
This has been amazing. Thank you all so much. I’ve nearly got enough. I can go and chill now.

A friend just rang for some advice on reconfiguring her bungalow. I’ll let you all have the details later. In sure you can sort her out too?

PamelaJ1 Sun 28-Jun-20 12:19:56

Riggie- thanks but no thanks. We have a family that is half army half civilian. The army types know all about Generals and they always put in a military round. I have to support the rest of us!?

NannyG123 Sun 28-Jun-20 12:21:01

We used to have a family quiz we all set up a round if 10 questions. My 13 year old grandsons question were all on science as he enjoys science. Let's just say science isn't my best subject I was rubbish. It was questions he thought were easy?

Helen2806 Sun 28-Jun-20 12:23:15

@PamelaJ1 if it’s a family quiz, a great round I heard of was guess the person from the body part, using cropped photos of family members.

Lucca Sun 28-Jun-20 13:00:32

Cheese Service station or both. Here you are !

Ashcombe Sun 28-Jun-20 13:23:56

This was well received by our theatre company social group.

It’s Cryptic Book Titles.

You can give them without/with authors:-

1.) The Raisins of Displeasure (Steinbeck)

2.) Biography of 3.142 ((Martel)

3.) A Trio of Gents in a Watercraft (Jerome)

4.) The Interplanetary Skirmish (Wells)

5.) Utensil Fixer, Clothes Maker, War Fighter, Fact Gatherer (Le Carré)

6.) Internal Organ of Shade (Conrad)

7.) Arrogance and Discrimination (Austen)

8.) The Elderly Chap and the Great Pond (Hemingway)

9.) Fun Sized Lasses (Alcott)

10.) The Milky Way For People Who Stick Out Their Thumbs (Adams)

Let me know if you need the answers.

PamelaJ1 Sun 28-Jun-20 14:20:26

Oh those are good, thanks Lucca and Ashcombe.

Helen we did chins. My nieces partner, who never met my father got him correctly, my mum didn’t !

PamelaJ1 Sun 28-Jun-20 14:22:58

NannyG123,
My niece, a different one, did maths?. Year 11 level, walk in the park? I don’t think so. My quiz, with help from you all is going to be so much fun.

Ashcombe Sun 28-Jun-20 14:44:20

Glad to help! Do let us know how it goes! ???

Maremia Sun 28-Jun-20 16:46:36

rown, is Oxford v Cambridge, 'boat' as in the boat race?
Brilliant post, as it is my turn to produce a family quiz this Saturday.

Lioness68 Sun 28-Jun-20 16:54:48

Rowyn - Brighton in the 60s is March Of The Mods!!

rowyn Sun 28-Jun-20 18:02:33

Maremia, I thought of the boat race, but I know of no dance called either of those words!!

rowyn Sun 28-Jun-20 18:04:16

OH and THANKYOU Lioness68 . Obviously I had a very youth!very sheltered

Ashcombe Sun 28-Jun-20 18:30:12

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCfys0_IMXo

A link to “Rock the Boat” from which the question about the Oxford and Cambridge dance clue originated.

Soxo Sun 28-Jun-20 19:11:55

We play stop the bus. Have 5 categories e.g girls name, country, boys name, animal, food. Give out a letter, they have to write down the answers and as soon as they finish shout ‘stop the bus’ if they’ve matched all 5 they get the points x

Carol54 Sun 28-Jun-20 19:53:56

We did a tenable one. The questions and answers are on the internet . Each family wrote as many answers as they could and we gave the answers after each question so no-one could keep adding

rowyn Sun 28-Jun-20 22:06:31

Ashcombe, THANK YOU too. Have never heard of it and would have never believed it without the YouTube evidence!!