Gransnet forums

Chat

Has anyone noticed the ‘Old Biddy’ remarks??

(70 Posts)
lemongrove Mon 06-Jul-20 14:02:43

Reading through threads I have noticed that when a poster has either lost the argument or just wants to throw in a quick jibe, they put something along the lines of ‘old biddy/biddies’
As if they are somehow young and girlish. It amuses and perplexes me.?

Callistemon Tue 07-Jul-20 09:53:41

lemongrove

Now, since nobody has repeated the phrase ?am off to have just one G&T, which is rather disappointing.?

Surely a sweet sherry or Madeira, m'dear?

winterwhite Tue 07-Jul-20 10:02:54

Oldbeige I think the notice in your sandwich shop is appalling and shows how people who are so alive to racist undertones just laugh at ageist ones.

Well remember my mother in her late 70s habitually referring to people of her age she gave hospital lifts to as 'the old dears'!

lemongrove Tue 07-Jul-20 10:04:29

You’ll be ‘blessing ‘ me next Callistemon ( ah! Bless) although I suppose a blessing is preferable to a cursing?

Callistemon Tue 07-Jul-20 10:09:25

We can't be old biddies if we don't drink sweet sherry or Madeira, m'dear.

Alishka Tue 07-Jul-20 10:26:49

Madeira, m'dear, sent me off to find the Flanders and Swann songgrin They wouldn't have wasted their Madeira on an Old Biddie when the old rue's target was a young girl. It worked too.shock
They really don't do songs like that nowadays, do they!

Chewbacca Tue 07-Jul-20 10:28:16

Oldbeige I think the notice in your sandwich shop is appalling and shows how people who are so alive to racist undertones just laugh at ageist ones.

Exactly this. If you replace the term "old biddy" or similar, with any of the slurs often attributed to racist or sexist slurs, it would be totally and completely unacceptable and condemned. But, for some on here, it's deemed perfectly acceptable to refer to a whole demographic of people in a demeaning and derogatory manner. Why is that acceptable?

Anniebach Tue 07-Jul-20 10:38:35

Sorry to go off topic but must share, one of my sisters has
‘A thing’ about ageing . 3 years ago she had a heart attack, ambulance called, rushed to hospital, in intensive care for
several days, made a good recovery, when she telephoned me
no mention of the trauma, just furious, her husband had said
‘Don’t leave me old girl’.

Callistemon Tue 07-Jul-20 10:41:52

That made me laugh Annie, said fondly I'm sure and I hope she's well now.

SIL calls his dogs 'Old Girl'
Although the new ones are relatively young ???

Starblaze Tue 07-Jul-20 10:42:27

Never seen it but a child did tell me I'm from the "olden times" the other day lol

Chewbacca Tue 07-Jul-20 10:54:54

Love it Annie! Bet she was livid! grin But at least she knew he loved her!

Purplepixie Tue 07-Jul-20 11:43:06

No I haven’t noticed it at all but I don’t read all of the topics as I have a life.

lemongrove Tue 07-Jul-20 12:14:01

That’s a coincidence Purple ? as every GN member also has a life!

Rosalyn69 Tue 07-Jul-20 12:28:39

I may be guilty as I class myself as an old biddy at times. It’s not meant to be a derogatory remark.

Callistemon Tue 07-Jul-20 14:44:43

You're allowed to call yourself an old biddy, Rosalyn, but no-one else is allowed to call you one!
grin
I must say, I rather feel like an old biddy today.

lemongrove Tue 07-Jul-20 17:19:25

I don’t feel like one but I may well look like one?

Greeneyedgirl Tue 07-Jul-20 21:03:07

I don’t care what I’m called as long as it’s not a lady.
I’m sure I look like an old biddy, especially since no visit to hairdressers for months, so I may start an old biddies appreciation society.

Peardrop50 Tue 07-Jul-20 21:19:44

Lemongrove not aimed at anyone at all but thought if I shout OLD BIDDY you could pour yourself a double.

lemongrove Tue 07-Jul-20 21:20:55

?????

MawB Tue 07-Jul-20 22:43:35

I don’t mind what you call me,as long as you call me sad