Gransnet forums

Chat

Has anyone noticed the ‘Old Biddy’ remarks??

(70 Posts)
lemongrove Mon 06-Jul-20 14:02:43

Reading through threads I have noticed that when a poster has either lost the argument or just wants to throw in a quick jibe, they put something along the lines of ‘old biddy/biddies’
As if they are somehow young and girlish. It amuses and perplexes me.?

sodapop Mon 06-Jul-20 15:56:40

I don't normally either BlueBelle but the last one I saw was not just "old biddy" but
"racist old biddy" adding insult to injury !!

MawB Mon 06-Jul-20 16:51:12

lemongrove

Reading through threads I have noticed that when a poster has either lost the argument or just wants to throw in a quick jibe, they put something along the lines of ‘old biddy/biddies’
As if they are somehow young and girlish. It amuses and perplexes me.?

gringrin
Usually with an adjective thrown in for good measure “racist” and “toxic” are 2 which I have noticed.

Pots and kettles, eh?

lemongrove Mon 06-Jul-20 16:56:57

sodapop Yes, I did think I may answer that one ( on behalf of us all) ‘hey! Less of the ‘old’ please!’ ?just for fun, but the moment passed.

I bet there won’t be any more usage of this phrase ( today) so am relying on you Whitewave so that I can get a few drinks in me.wine Cheers! In advance.

lemongrove Mon 06-Jul-20 17:00:00

MawB toxic is another trendy thing to say, as the world and it’s wife seem to apply it liberally to all sorts of things/people/situations.?

Chewbacca Mon 06-Jul-20 17:03:09

The galling thing is that, one of the posters who has made negative comments about older women and their ability to continue to function in their role in life, is one of the most strident and vocal posters against misogyny, racism or sexism. But for some reason is completely comfortable with ageism.

AGAA4 Mon 06-Jul-20 17:04:26

I haven't noticed 'old biddy' being used but I think I just blot out any rude remarks.

One place I used to live they used that expression a lot but it was pronounced 'old bidder'

eazybee Mon 06-Jul-20 17:12:46

Yes I have noticed, also 'old crones', usually preceded by a more unpleasant epithet.

Some of the language and expressions used makes me think that the authors are not of the generation they purport to be.

Wonder why that is?

suziewoozie Mon 06-Jul-20 17:17:29

Hahaha Chewbacca who do you mean - I find it very childish not to mention a poster’s name when a post is deliberately aimed at them. Really really childish ( if that’s not ageist). Btw - in my various professional roles I have known people who were past it and should have retired years before. That’s not ageist - sounds like you don’t know the meaning of the word. HM is past it imo - and do is PC before he even starts.

Chewbacca Mon 06-Jul-20 17:22:10

How nice that my description was so easy for you to identify yourself Sooziewoozie; not something to be proud of though was it?

Doodle Mon 06-Jul-20 17:54:29

Imho HM is the best thing in this country and far from being past it she is honourable and loyal and works harder at her age than many do 30 years younger.

People who say “my professional roles” or in my “professional opinion” always strike me as implying the rest of us don’t have any opinions of value but that’s just my professional opinion ?

Eloethan Mon 06-Jul-20 18:00:06

Well, I think perhaps that poster was trying to say that the sort of comments on some threads seem to represent the "old biddy" image that some younger people have of older people. I'm 70 and I didn't take offence - my view is, if the cap fits ....

lemongrove Mon 06-Jul-20 18:21:41

Well..... you wouldn’t take offence Eloethan perhaps because you think your own views are so in tune with younger people that they couldn’t possibly think that of you.
IMHO no Gransnetters can be described as ‘old biddies’ even the posters who I rarely agree with.
In any case, I think most of us don’t take offence, but just think it’s plain silly for a older person to say this to another.
It’s not usually aimed at any one poster, it’s done as a general thing to all posters who don’t agree with her own posts.

lemongrove Mon 06-Jul-20 18:49:08

Now, since nobody has repeated the phrase ?am off to have just one G&T, which is rather disappointing.?

Lucca Mon 06-Jul-20 18:56:49

Is this a whole thread aimed at one poster ?

lemongrove Mon 06-Jul-20 19:20:12

Not at all Lucca...the phrase ‘old biddy’ has been used many many times over the years by different posters, all older people presumably, saying this to other older people.
I saw it again on a thread today and was musing about it.

Calendargirl Tue 07-Jul-20 07:25:41

Just spotted- ‘old biddies’ used in the thread about Grandparents and GC on a new tv show.

Marydoll Tue 07-Jul-20 08:28:46

I recently called myself an old biddy on a thread. When I first read the OP, I thought it was directed at me! blush ?
However, I would never dream of calling a fellow poster that. I can never understand why some posters on here have resort to personal insults. ☹️

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 07-Jul-20 08:57:44

I've rarely heard 'old biddy' in real life but once saw written on a blackboard in a pub, 'we make all our meals from fresh so there will be a wait - the old biddy is going as fast as she can' which raised a smile.
Worse than 'wrinklie' is 'crumbly' which I've hardly ever heard. What people call me behind my back I dare not imagine.

Lucca Tue 07-Jul-20 08:57:58

Marydoll

I recently called myself an old biddy on a thread. When I first read the OP, I thought it was directed at me! blush ?
However, I would never dream of calling a fellow poster that. I can never understand why some posters on here have resort to personal insults. ☹️

Not being contentious but I don’t think any remarks about old biddies are directly aimed at a poster, usually in the nature of saying people are in danger of sounding like old biddies

Greeneyedgirl Tue 07-Jul-20 09:12:27

Isn’t old biddy rather an old fashioned word, so would not be used by young ones?

I don’t mind being called old myself because that is what I am, and have been known to ask for “old fogie” rates at the cinema, back in the glorious day when we could go to the cinema that is.

I would find it worse to be called “little old dear” not being tall in stature. smile.

Marydoll Tue 07-Jul-20 09:42:59

Where I live in the West of Scotland, old biddy can be a used as disparaging or derogatory. For me it has connotations of a bad tempered, cantankerous old lady.
We all have different interpretations of language, that's what makes it difficult not to to be contentious. We can't know how another poster will interpret a word or phrase.

As an aside. I once sent my daughter an email at work, using a common Glasgow word. It was picked up by the filters as a profanity. ? confused.
I hadn't realised it had a totally different meaning nowadays. blush

Anniebach Tue 07-Jul-20 09:47:05

Calling posters ‘nasty, embittered old crones’ was a step too far
for me.

Callistemon Tue 07-Jul-20 09:50:30

Yes, I've noticed it too, lemongrove and just thought that the poster had lost the argument and was scraping around the bottom of ypthe barrel!!

NotSpaghetti, yes, I have a friend who always refers to us as 'the girls' although she's 82 grin
"Well, girls, where shall we go for lunch?" "What do you think girls?"
Nowhere at the moment, unfortunately, but I would like to hear her suggest it!

Callistemon Tue 07-Jul-20 09:51:18

Anniebach

Calling posters ‘nasty, embittered old crones’ was a step too far
for me.

Yes, "Speak for yourself" is the only appropriate response!!

lemongrove Tue 07-Jul-20 09:52:00

I know where the phrase comes from, as I have Irish relatives,and as a child this was used in a contemptuous way about women.It comes from Bridie ( Bridget) so an old bridey or biddy.It was always used about older people from younger people though!
So when somebody says ‘old biddy’ on here, it’s simply used as an insult.From one old biddy to another, haha.