Gransnet forums

Chat

I’m in a hair quandary!

(108 Posts)
Noname Tue 07-Jul-20 12:47:03

In just over two weeks I have my first hair appointment since lockdown with my usual hairdresser (I have been going to him for several years)
Like most, my short, natural grey style has grown out so I would love to try a completely new style.
Here is my problem; I know that if I try and discuss with my hairdresser what I would like, he will come up with a suggestion which will sound just what I would like to try but the end result will be the same as always!
I know I could go somewhere else but I don’t want to offend my stylist!
Suggestions please ?

Grannytwoshoes Wed 08-Jul-20 09:55:29

We ladies always make a mountain out of a molehill when it comes to hairdressing problems. I know I do! If it’s not the price it’s the chance of offending said hairdresser or just not happy with hair do but don’t know where to go. I’ve just had a really good cut from visiting hairdresser but. Bit more expensive! Found myself going in to old hairdresser to talk about colour! Also can’t decide about the grey!! So now have appointment Saturday with someone who hasn’t done my colour before!!
Back to square one...the long and the short of it is go where you want when you want... as it’s been said you are paying!! The only thing I would say is that if there is alot to cut it’s a really good time to try someone else! Good luck!

Coconut Wed 08-Jul-20 09:55:39

Take a photo when you go of how you want your hair to look. When you leave, if it’s not how you want, don’t book another appt, just tell him that you will ring to book one ..... and just don’t ! None of us like to offend long term hairdressers, however I’ve heard this before, so I think sometimes that you just get too familiar and used to each other. I recall a few years ago telling my then hairdresser that I was working away and would ring her when I got back ..... and I never did. I just didn’t want to offend her but I’d had enough of not being happy with my hair and she didn’t seem to listen.

Puzzler61 Wed 08-Jul-20 09:56:55

Pamela I’m thinking similar to you. Grow it a bit, go for a different style and a different hairdresser. I change regularly anyway. I did the grey for 18 months but am colouring at home now as it’s much less expensive.
BTW my house is the opposite to yours. If the supermarket delivery man stretches he can stand at the front door and put the boxes on my kitchen table ?

GirlyGran Wed 08-Jul-20 09:58:15

Hi everyone first post this morning.
I suggest you try a new salon altogether and get the style you want. Its also expensive having a good cut so why waste your money?

Chaitriona Wed 08-Jul-20 09:59:09

I can’t understand all these people going to the hairdresser. Surely it must be the ideal environment for passing on Covid19. Indoors. In very close proximity with at least some talking. For a considerable period of time. With somebody who will be in this situation with a string of different clients every day. The hairdressers may well be younger and have the virus but be asymptomatic or pre symptomatic. But clients in Gransnet will be likely to be older themselves and may have vulnerable male partners at home. It will be a very long time I think before I go to the hairdresser. I have a good hairdresser and am often complemented on my hair but I would rather live. A return to a ponytail, I think.

Camelotclub Wed 08-Jul-20 09:59:30

Your money and your hair. Go where you like!

crimpedhalo Wed 08-Jul-20 10:00:40

I only talk with my hairdresser when doing hilites....
Cutting is serious business. I don't take my eyes off the scissors and interrupt to guide when necessary.

There is money in keeping a short style for the hairdresser to upkeep with trims and hilites/colouring.

Someone on here said they were going to go for a bob as it's less hassle which is a great idea for me to follow.

In the past I've had your problem OP. When my then hairdresser broke her arm I had other hairdressers do my hair over 4 months. It is refreshing to have a change.

It's your money so go somewhere else with your photos and ideas. I take my iPad with photos off the net, or indeed other hairdressers' online photos of their clients' styles.

Good luck and just go for it.

Yellowmellow Wed 08-Jul-20 10:02:25

Hairdressers are renowned for doing there own thing. A lot of us have probably gone home at some point and been unhappy with the style. If your hairdressers won't listen change. We pay a lot of money to them and should walk out of the salon feeling happy

Pippet Wed 08-Jul-20 10:02:45

I can quite see your dilemma. I had my previous appointment for colour and cut on Monday and after twenty years of the same style I have had a completely new look. Husband said he does not like it so I think it must look ok ?. With my hairdresser I sort of laid it bare and said I had to have the change. That it was part of looking to the future and she got it. She did try to talk me out of it but I insisted. Go for it and insist I just know you will look fab. Take care ✅

Nightsky2 Wed 08-Jul-20 10:03:00

Noname.
I had my hair cut yesterday. They are booked up for weeks. Said that strangers were phoning them desperate for a hair cut. If I were you I’d just have a little cut off and wait for your next appointment before discussing a new hair style. I have kept mine a little longer than usual and just got him to tidy it up. Whatever you do don’t cancel your appointment as it could be another 6/8 weeks before you get another.

janeainsworth Wed 08-Jul-20 10:03:02

I do NEVER give offence, if you wish to take it, that is up to you!

I like that Polnan. Noted for future use grin

TrendyNannie6 Wed 08-Jul-20 10:03:40

I must admit this has happened to me a few years ago, I used to go to the same hairdressers and the hairdresser did her own thing. Hence that hairdresser was outed and I moved on to one that I’m happy with who listened to me, and every so often she tries different styles

BassGrammy Wed 08-Jul-20 10:03:43

Noname, I could have written this!
I have an appointment for 4 Aug, but have already said I might not go. I have been saying for years that I wanted to grow out the shorter layers and my hairdresser has convinced me it wouldn’t work! However after 5 months I know it would work! I have trimmed the back myself quite successfully and I’m quite happy with my hair at the moment, although it will obviously need styling at some point. I feel as though if I go back to the same hairdresser I’ll be back to square one!

Tabbycat Wed 08-Jul-20 10:08:22

Trying to find a new hairdresser can be really difficult. One of the methods I have tried successfully in the past is to look really carefully at your friends, colleagues and acquaintances' hairdos. Then try to find someone with a similar hair type to yours whose style you like and ask them for their hairdressers’ details (remembering to ask for the name of the stylist, not just the salon).
Taking a selection of pictures of styles you like can work, but you have to be realistic! As one hairdresser said to me, "I can restyle their hair, but not their face." A bit harsh, I thought
Do some research - a lot of hairdressers have their own profiles on social media where they share photos of their work.
Good luck, whatever you decide to do!

Lancslass1 Wed 08-Jul-20 10:08:24

I have a photograph of Joanna Lumley taken ,I imagine ,when she was starting out on her acting career.
She looks lovely.
Her hair is short, not bleached - pre Purdy .
I also have one of Julie Walters with her hair in the style it is now.
They are the ones I take to my hairdresser

Aepgirl Wed 08-Jul-20 10:13:20

I had my first appointment this week since lockdown. I was pleased with the way my hair had grown, so just wanted a light trim. However my stylist, who I have been going to for years, got a bit scissor-happy and has cut too much off. I’m hoping it grows quickly so that I don’t continue to feel as disappointed as I do now.

Lancslass1 Wed 08-Jul-20 10:16:32

I have a friend who is 25 years younger than I am .
She is totally grey and it looks great.
I am still mouse .
So boring.
Have highlights.

jaylucy Wed 08-Jul-20 10:18:49

It's your right to have your hair as you want it and if your hairdresser is as good as they think they are, the first thing that they should do is listen to you ! Not sure why some people are so frightened of them !
If you want a change of style/colour, why not? If it is your choice and it doesn't work , doesn't suit you, difficult for you to look after and so on, that is your choice - hair usually grows back again and it can always be restyled again .

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 08-Jul-20 10:29:00

Could you try a different salon, get your hair done by someone new and get exactly what you want? Then take a photo on your phone to show the regular and pretend that a 'friend' treated you to this session for a special present and you'd like keep the new style.

If that doesn't work you're going to have to 'dump' your regular hairdresser with tact. Could you say that you'd like to grow your hair and will leave a longer interval between each visit and will ring in due course? Then go elsewhere. Cowardly perhaps but many of us dislike confrontation.

Gma29 Wed 08-Jul-20 10:34:56

I would cancel, and try somewhere else. I had a similar issue with the colouring of mine, once it had gone past just a few highlights. I’d describe/show pictures of what I was after, the colourist would nod and agree - and I’d end up, yet again, with the same colour she did last time.

I eventually moved somewhere else, and armed with pictures got what I was asking for, which was a good outcome.

I did feel a bit awkward though, as I couldn’t bring myself to say that it was because I didn’t like the way she did my hair! Which is silly, I know.

Authoress Wed 08-Jul-20 10:40:58

No hairdresser is going to be short of clients. I think you could move to a new one without your current one even noticing!

Puzzler61 Wed 08-Jul-20 10:44:58

Welcome GirlyGran it’s always good to have new gransnetter’s ?

H1954 Wed 08-Jul-20 10:49:27

You're not married to your hairstylist, you have no contract with him so why worry about going elsewhere?
It's your hair, your choice in styles and if you want to have something different now after the lockdown overgrowth then find another salon.
If it bothered you that much send your old stylist a thank you card and end the "relationship" on a good note.

SparklyGrandma Wed 08-Jul-20 10:49:27

It’s difficult if he has only one style in mind. It’s hard to say too.

I was going to a hairdresser nearby, very good name, but when they increased the price twice in a short period, I decided to leave them and go to a more price conscious hairdresser.

Noreen3 Wed 08-Jul-20 10:49:51

good point polnan,I had considered letting my hair go grey now,but my hairdresser rang me to offer an appointment,she asked if I wanted the same colour,and I said yes.I know I'll like it,but of course it's more money for them,they're not going to advise me to stop colouring.