Gransnet forums

Chat

indoor gyms to open 25 july

(8 Posts)
infoman Thu 09-Jul-20 17:15:11

just hope the Saunas are available as well.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Jul-20 17:37:43

I can imagine we are all waiting with bated breath to dash off to the gym again.

Witzend Sat 11-Jul-20 08:49:44

You can stuff the gym, but I’m looking forward to being able to do lots of lengths of a local pool. Could do with working off a few lockdown-chocolate pounds! The outdoor one if it’s warm, need to go v early though, when it’s just the select ? few.

Blinko Sat 11-Jul-20 08:53:01

I don't see how any potential spread of the virus can be controlled/limited in an atmosphere where the activity concerned involves exercise and therefore increased inhalation and exhalation. The droplets hang in the air... Wearing a face covering will not be feasible, I imagine.
What's going to stop the spread in any enclosed space?

Not for me, thanks.

TerriBull Sat 11-Jul-20 09:26:15

I wrote to my gym in June to say I would like to resign my membership and giving my reasons why. Still awaiting a reply. I have been sent another generic email today to advise they are opening in a couple of weeks with umpteen safety measures in place and will start collecting fees via direct debits from that date. Have written to them again reiterating what I said in the first place and asking my resignation be back dated to date of original email. I agree with Blinko's comments above and being of an older demographic I just don't want to take the risk. My husband has resumed golf, but that is entirely different being an outdoor pursuit with strict adherence to social distancing.

bikergran Sat 11-Jul-20 09:32:05

I couldn't think of anything worse than being in a gym with all those airborne droplets drifting around, we all know the grunting and exhaling that goes on in gyms, same as the joggers that brush past you,

I think its the one place you could! catch something.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 11-Jul-20 10:25:58

I have been a member of a small local gym for 20 years. In normal circumstances I go to five different classes/sessions per week, I have exercised at home but it is not the same. They have started training sessions outside in the local park which I am enjoying.

I shall wait until I hear what they are intending to do, social distancing procedures and class sizes before I decide if I feel it is a safe environment for me.

Sunlover Sat 11-Jul-20 11:06:13

Looking forward to a swim. Will go pool ready with a dressing gown. Swim put shoes and dressing gown own and then drive home to shower and dress.