Gransnet forums

Chat

We can't help everyone but everyone can help someone.

(43 Posts)
Starblaze Fri 10-Jul-20 19:42:11

Came across this saying recently and it's inspired me.

I've started clicking yes to the little charitable donation pop ups on some shop websites and even some card readers. Usually only 50p or a pound and I figure if I can afford this new thing, I can afford a little more.

What does it inspire in you?

rosecarmel Sun 12-Jul-20 16:55:50

I also realize it's very small, but when more people choose to use Amazon less, it adds up-

Madgran77 Sun 12-Jul-20 17:01:43

rosecarmel can you explain appalling? I am aware of dubious treatment of staff ...packers etc but wondered if you had other info?

MerylStreep Sun 12-Jul-20 17:17:49

rosecarmel
I use Amazon all the time but I make sure that nothing I buy is made in China.
I email companies where the country of origin isn't stated to request that info. Most don't reply. Strange that ?

Doodledog Sun 12-Jul-20 19:27:35

What people sometimes forget when commenting on foodbanks is that people can quite quickly fall on hard times, after living a self-supporting life previously.

This means that yes, they will still have possessions, transport, houses etc, as they bought them when they were earning. If we go down the road of 1930's means testing, and insist that people are in absolute poverty before they can claim anything, it would be a hugely retrograde step. It could take the unemployed years to get back on their feet after a setback if, as well as waiting to get paid, they had to start again with furniture, buying a car to get to work etc, and it would strip away all dignity from people who, through no fault of their own, became unemployed.

There would also, sadly, be an increase in exploitation of the poor, as people would have little choice but to rely absolutely on their employers to keep them in work. In the past, the threat of being sacked (often for asking for more money or better conditions) without a reference was enough to keep people subservient. Clearly, there are people who will think that this was a good thing, but I like to think that they are in the minority. A basic safety net is essential to a civilised society - without it, the crueller aspects of human nature are allowed to flourish.

GagaJo Sun 12-Jul-20 19:34:05

I used to buy stuff for the food bank box at the supermarket but only do online grocery deliveries now, so my weekly-bi weekly contribution isn't happening. I have contributed to 3 different 'needy' funds this week though. Two UK based, one overseas.

I really must look into how to donate to the local food banks in another way.

Those criticising food bank users, for shame.

Starblaze Sun 12-Jul-20 19:42:11

It would be great if there were a way to donate with the online food shop, maybe there is a way to donate a few quid to them another way GagaJo?

Our local church collects as it does its own small village food bank which is great

AllotmentLil Sun 12-Jul-20 21:00:16

I’m like GagaJo and shop online at the moment so just sent them a cheque. They sometimes need to buy fresh food (bread, cheese, fruit) for people who have no cooking facilities at all - like the man who was living in a tent. In November. Qq your comments are disgusting.

janeainsworth Sun 12-Jul-20 21:20:44

GagaJo I think you said you live in the NE so you might like to contribute to this
newcastlewestend.foodbank.org.uk/

janeainsworth Sun 12-Jul-20 21:21:42

Sorry posted too soon. We have a monthly standing order.

GagaJo Sun 12-Jul-20 21:25:30

Thank you Jane!

rosecarmel Mon 13-Jul-20 01:10:59

Doodledog

What people sometimes forget when commenting on foodbanks is that people can quite quickly fall on hard times, after living a self-supporting life previously.

This means that yes, they will still have possessions, transport, houses etc, as they bought them when they were earning. If we go down the road of 1930's means testing, and insist that people are in absolute poverty before they can claim anything, it would be a hugely retrograde step. It could take the unemployed years to get back on their feet after a setback if, as well as waiting to get paid, they had to start again with furniture, buying a car to get to work etc, and it would strip away all dignity from people who, through no fault of their own, became unemployed.

There would also, sadly, be an increase in exploitation of the poor, as people would have little choice but to rely absolutely on their employers to keep them in work. In the past, the threat of being sacked (often for asking for more money or better conditions) without a reference was enough to keep people subservient. Clearly, there are people who will think that this was a good thing, but I like to think that they are in the minority. A basic safety net is essential to a civilised society - without it, the crueller aspects of human nature are allowed to flourish.

Beautiful post- ?

rosecarmel Mon 13-Jul-20 01:23:32

MerylStreep

rosecarmel
I use Amazon all the time but I make sure that nothing I buy is made in China.
I email companies where the country of origin isn't stated to request that info. Most don't reply. Strange that ?

Every little bit helps- ?

Meryl, being an actor yourself maybe you can explain to me why celebrities who are already worth millions applied for and received millions more from the Paycheck Protection Program, that was designed to save small businesses during this difficult time, while small town mom and pop restraunts, shops, salons and so forth are struggling or forced to close, possibly losing their place of residence, be it apartment or house, and end up homeless?

janeainsworth Mon 13-Jul-20 09:20:28

Rosecarmel Meryl, being an actor yourself maybe you can explain to me why celebrities who are already worth millions applied for and received millions more from the Paycheck Protection Program

I’m pretty sure that Meryl is British, like most of us on GN.
We can’t really be expected to understand the shit-show (pardon the expression, but it’s one of my American DiL’s favourites) that is American social care and provision.
Perhaps you could explain it for us.

pollyperkins Mon 13-Jul-20 09:32:00

You can always order an extra item or two on your online shop then put it in the food bank box in the local church. I’ve done this but don't always remember. Or Ive found a tin or jar of something I don't think I’ll use (still in date) and put it into The box in my village.
Thinks for the reminder- forgotten to do this recently.

harrigran Mon 13-Jul-20 09:51:48

My cousin and his wife run a food bank and are often featured in the local newspaper. This week there was an article about them providing lunches for children during the school holiday, families often struggle during the long summer break.
The poverty I witnessed, as a nurse, at the beginning of the 60s was an eye opener. I hope never to see that level of need again.

rosecarmel Tue 14-Jul-20 01:03:16

janeainsworth

Rosecarmel Meryl, being an actor yourself maybe you can explain to me why celebrities who are already worth millions applied for and received millions more from the Paycheck Protection Program

I’m pretty sure that Meryl is British, like most of us on GN.
We can’t really be expected to understand the shit-show (pardon the expression, but it’s one of my American DiL’s favourites) that is American social care and provision.
Perhaps you could explain it for us.

Shit-show ?

janeainsworth Tue 14-Jul-20 10:16:07

Rose Don’t get me wrong. I’ve travelled quite a bit in the USA & have family in VA & CA.
I love the country & all its foibles & idiosyncrasies. It’s just the politics, especially the current brand, I have a problem with!
smile