Gransnet forums

Chat

I slipped up

(63 Posts)
FlyingHandbag Fri 10-Jul-20 23:03:57

Hi all,
I had a visit from a relative today, we danced to music and played monopoly, and I gave her a big hug.Boris won't be pleasedgrin. X

Marydoll Fri 10-Jul-20 23:14:55

I'm not pleased either! ?
People disregarding the rules are the reason why people like me have been shielding for four months and patients are still dying from Covid.

The virus is still there!

harrigran Fri 10-Jul-20 23:19:41

Neither am I, have been stuck at home since February with only an emergency Drs appointment last Sunday.
You might not care what happens to you but it is not fair to the people you infect.

FlyingHandbag Fri 10-Jul-20 23:20:45

Neither of us have corona as we have both been very very very careful. X

merlotgran Fri 10-Jul-20 23:29:25

Hugging is NOT important between adults.

Illte Fri 10-Jul-20 23:30:42

Almost all the patients my son cares for on the Covid ward think they gave been careful.

Most of them just 'slipped' up. ?

Marydoll Fri 10-Jul-20 23:36:06

You don't know if you have Covid, you could be asymptomatic!.
To actually think it is amusing and come on here to brag about it into the bargain, when there are so many people who are shielding or have partners who are, is unacceptable.

FlyingHandbag Fri 10-Jul-20 23:38:49

How on earth can I have Corona if I've only seen people socially distanced and I've only been out thrice since the start of lockdown?x

pinkquartz Fri 10-Jul-20 23:41:26

I caught Covid when I hadn't been out for many weeks and I only saw one person who also had not visited anyone and was being careful
Both of us have been very ill.
If someone has it you won't know and it really does transfer very easily

Chewbacca Fri 10-Jul-20 23:42:12

It's deeply frustrating for those of us who are shielding and haven't seen, let alone hugged, our loved ones for many months FlyingHandbag. Not good.

DillytheGardener Fri 10-Jul-20 23:49:17

Pink quartz you poor thing, I hope you recover soon.

Kalu Sat 11-Jul-20 00:06:07

The guidelines are VERY clear! Acquaint yourself with them.
To knowingly disregard them and think it’s funny is anything but and extremely selfish.

Teacheranne Sat 11-Jul-20 00:32:57

I have to take a deep breath to calm myself when I hear about people who think it's OK for them to ignore the social distancing rules - for whatever reason. I've just seen a post on FB from a friend who put up a photo of herself, her husband, son, daughter in law and three grandchildren all hugging and cuddling each other. Yes, they were only two households and they were outside but they were not 2 cm apart let along 2 m!

The country will never reduce the infection rate if everyone behaved in such a selfish way, it's just prolonging the recovery and ruining our economy.

Oopsminty Sat 11-Jul-20 01:07:34

Is your relative in your bubble, FlyingHandbag'?

I ask because from what I can gather it is allowed in certain circumstances

This is from almost a month ago

www.itv.com/news/2020-06-13/family-members-hug-for-the-first-time-in-10-weeks-thanks-to-support-bubbles/

Heidi, from Worthing, West Sussex, was also able to embrace Nana Pam on Saturday because her grandmother lives alone and can now pair with one other household for support without observing social distancing rules.

FlyingHandbag Sat 11-Jul-20 01:12:55

I have seen people on here admitting to a hug and nobody batted an eyelid. X

Marydoll Sat 11-Jul-20 07:45:25

If you are in a bubble there is no problem. However, if you come on here and say, Boris won't be pleased , followed by a grin emoji, you are implying that you are doing something wrong^

In Scotland children under twelve no longer need to socially distance and shielders on their own, as of yesterday can form a bubble with one family.
If you fulfil the criteria great, you do not need to keep your distance. Do you fulfil the criteria for being allowed to hug in the UK?

My daughter's wedding was due to take place the day after Lockdown. I wanted to give her a hug, I didn't. My heart was breaking for her, but it was too risky.
When you are told that you will not survive Covid if you catch it, you have no choice.

If EVERYONE had followed the rules rigorously initially, we wouldn't be in this mess and there would have been less deaths.
It's hard enough to be shielding, without reading your post.
That's why I'm so annoyed!

nanaK54 Sat 11-Jul-20 07:57:03

What was your motivation for starting this thread?

kittylester Sat 11-Jul-20 07:58:44

Good post mary.

Lucca Sat 11-Jul-20 08:04:28

nanaK54

What was your motivation for starting this thread?

I suspect OP was expecting a few others to say they’d done the same......

Calendargirl Sat 11-Jul-20 08:09:03

Be careful Flying Handbag, I seem to recall from previous posts of yours that you are quite accident prone, so dancing might risk a fall or dizzy spell again.

Keep away from unstable walls also while playing monopoly.

BlueBelle Sat 11-Jul-20 08:30:51

Dear flyinghandbags you do love a bit of attention don’t you? ? even shock horror attention, your name says it all if you’re not sitting on the floor eating your dinner you re sliding down the wall in a faint or your handbags are flying round the room like Mary Poppins
I find your threads very amusing
I think it’s great you had a relative to play and dance with, you had no need to add the shock bit to get posters shrieking into their porridge

sodapop Sat 11-Jul-20 08:35:21

grin BlueBelle

Lucca Sat 11-Jul-20 08:36:32

Actually I don’t think Boris would give a monkeys!

Nortsat Sat 11-Jul-20 08:51:49

FH, evidence suggests that large numbers of people who have CV19 are asymptomatic. Thus it spreads so easily.

Lots of GNs are shielding (including me) and it’s not just lonely, boring, inconvenient and very tiresome, it’s actually frightening. To know there is a virus circulating that could kill you, is a very sobering scenario.

I have not been out or seen loved ones since February. There’s a new baby in our family and some fragile relatives, so it’s been hard.

If you have been following the threads here, you’ll know the difficulties people have been facing. You need to think about the impact of your posts, before opening such a thread.

BlueSky Sat 11-Jul-20 08:59:01

Actually I recall a few people admitting on here to cuddling their GC and everybody said "Awww!" and that it was only advice from the government not law. But I think Flying is quite thick skinned!