Gransnet forums

Chat

No shows at restaurants

(53 Posts)
Judy54 Mon 13-Jul-20 14:57:45

Chef Tom Kerridge along with other Chefs and Restaurateurs have spoken about the damage caused by people booking since re-opening and then not showing up. This is terrible for the industry trying to get back on its feet. If someone genuinely cannot turn up why don't they phone to let the restaurant know. How demoralizing for all the staff and all that lovely food that has been cooked and wasted.

The only way forward is for credit card details to be taken when the booking is made (some restaurants already do this) and a deposit to be made, in the event of the customers not turning up then the deposit is lost a bit like when you book a holiday.

What thoughts do any of you have ?

felice Wed 15-Jul-20 16:59:24

Narrowboatnan, probably not the MEP people might immediately think of, but another 'entitled' Brit who I once heard at a Childrens charity event ask an Ambassador 'do you know who I am' !!!!!!

PamelaJ1 Wed 15-Jul-20 16:37:14

I’ve ordered a takeaway from a restaurant tonight. I offered to pay for it when I ordered it. The person taking the order declined my offer. Needless to say I have no intention of not picking it up but, I am willing to bet, some others don’t bother if something more exciting comes up.

I run an appointment system, I do know my clients quite well and it’s always the same few who let me down. I really hate it when I have put myself out by staying late and they don’t come or even worse when they are my second to last client and I still can’t go home earlier.?

Judy54 Wed 15-Jul-20 13:59:04

Thank you for all your posts. I do hope that this awful practice will stop and that people show respect to restaurants/pubs many of whom have worked so hard to provide take away meals during lock down. They deserve our support.

EllanVannin Wed 15-Jul-20 09:42:25

Not turning up for any appointment/meeting etc. without a valid explanation beforehand is so ill-mannered and at worst prevents a re-booking for someone else.
I had all this when I used to book patients in to see the consultant and they didn't show up at clinic.

I had to bite my tongue many a time when the patient would ring up days or weeks later asking to be seen " now " !

narrowboatnan Wed 15-Jul-20 09:10:53

‘One MEP who will remain nameless told the customers already at the table to leave as HE wanted that table.’

Felice that’s shocking behaviour! Glad you gave him his marching orders! What a damned cheek

Furret Wed 15-Jul-20 08:02:35

Candelle a no-show is when you simply don’t turn up.

Doodledog Wed 15-Jul-20 07:59:46

I think it is something that children need to be taught not to do. It never fails to shock me how many people think it is acceptable to change social arrangements at the last minute, turn up late, or just cancel because they don’t feel like it on the day.

It starts in childhood, I am sure, as I have seen so many little ones accept party invitations and then cancel when a better/more convenient offer comes along. Obviously it is the parents to blame, but they learn by example.

Candelle Tue 14-Jul-20 20:45:07

Whilst I agree that not to show for a restaurant reservation doctor/dentist/any appointment is rude and ought not go without penalty, there are exceptions.....

I have had to cancel a restaurant reservation after becoming ill a few hours before. We of course rang the restaurant but they took a dim view of our call:. let's just say that they were somewhat disbelieving.

Surely there are times where cancellations have to be made for genuine reasons but not to turn up, leaving an empty table/appointment etc , is appalling.

FarNorth Tue 14-Jul-20 18:33:13

They definitely need to tackle this and I think a reasonably large deposit would be the best start.

Purpledaffodil Tue 14-Jul-20 17:41:09

We went to RHS Wisley the other week. Very well organised, limited numbers on prebooked time slots. We were told people were prebooking several days for free and then just not turning up if the weather wasn’t good or they couldn’t be bothered. Meanwhile all the slots were full and people who intended to turn up couldn’t book. Such appalling selfishness imho. ?

ShewhomustbeEbayed Tue 14-Jul-20 17:18:05

The first day of my hairdresser re-opening and they had a no - show, they must have moved people around as they were able to offer a last minute appointment for someone later that morning.

Greciangirl Tue 14-Jul-20 16:59:17

The same thing happened at the zoo in the town where I live.
It was prebook only and loads of people didn’t turn up.
The poor zoo proprietors were already struggling and they are very fed up at the moment.

GirlyGran Tue 14-Jul-20 16:34:50

Like others I agree about a deposit. Wondering if I can charge family who arrange to come then cancel at short notice. Oh Mum will be ok they say...oh yeah!

Kim19 Tue 14-Jul-20 16:31:14

Whilst I would have no objection to a deposit being required, I would expect that deposit to be refunded in full if I gave reasonable notice of cancellation or experienced a personal emergency. Reading of some pretty inexcusable behaviour here. Goodness.

Diggingdoris Tue 14-Jul-20 15:45:39

This has been happening at my local zoo as well. People with an annual membership are booking and not turning up, thereby using up spaces that others could fill. They so desperately need the income, it's so sad.

Callistemon Tue 14-Jul-20 15:12:40

I agree Judy54.
Others could be turned down through lack of space now that customers have to self-distance too.

I didn't know that Jane10.
What a shocking and selfish way to behave.

Thecatshatontgemat Tue 14-Jul-20 14:50:02

This has been going on for a long time before the virus, and l thought that had got it all sorted, by taking a card payment there and then.....
Appalling manners and total disregard for other people, and they are probably the same sort of people who make doctors appointment and don't bother showing up for that either......
Selfish idiots!

felice Tue 14-Jul-20 13:05:00

I had a 15 minute rule in my Bar/Restaurant here years ago, I only served food at lunchtime so it was imperative to fill the tables. What really bugged me were the people who ate one day then booked for the next and did not turn up.
Then they would turn up the day after expecting the table to be waiting for them and get all rude and stroppy.
One MEP who will remain nameless told the customers already at the table to leave as HE wanted that table.
I asked him and his little friends to leave, bad language and threats ensued.

Peardrop50 Tue 14-Jul-20 12:51:39

Disgraceful and selfish behaviour. Dentists send out bills for no shows. I do think that a non refundable deposit should be taken across the board, hairdressers, dentists, dog groomers, restaurants, and even doctors and hospitals, in fact anywhere that requires an appointment. There’d be some initial objection but we’d get used to it just like not smoking in pubs, wearing a seatbelt or recycling our rubbish, all recent changes that we’ve embraced.

jocork Tue 14-Jul-20 12:41:43

My dentist has had a policy of charging for missed appointments for years. Thankfully I've never forgotten an appointment. I once forgot I'd booked a theatre ticket but obviously having paid in advance it was my loss! I wouldn't dream of intentionally messing people around like that and would have no problem paying a deposit if booking to go for a meal. Some people have no consideration for anyone but themselves. It is disgusting behaviour at any time, but especially in the present climate. Anyone who behaves like that is not only costing the restaurants but costing everyone else too as the restaurants will have to factor these things into their pricing if they are to survive!

EMMF1948 Tue 14-Jul-20 12:34:40

I had to cancel my hairdresser just before Christmas as I was ill but I offered to pay at least part of the cost. Luckily she declined as she had a list of people wanting a cancellation. Not been able to go since so I'm really looking forward to seeing her next month.

lefthanded Tue 14-Jul-20 12:30:55

My son manages a restaurant in a busy city centre. Pre-COVID they were in the fortunate position that they would regularly turn “walk-ins” away because they were too busy. Any booking would be allowed to be 15 minutes late, and then the table would be released. They haven’t re-opened yet (Welsh rules) but when they do they may well request card details with each booking.

Sweetcheek Tue 14-Jul-20 12:25:45

I’m concerned that the Eat out to Help Out scheme might not actually help at all as my other half now seems reluctant to book to go out anywhere before the 3rd of August!!! How many others are also doing this.... it’s making me very cross, we have been nowhere for months, missing our Golden Wedding and my 70th birthday celebrations and now he won’t even take me out to flaming lunch ?

Aepgirl Tue 14-Jul-20 12:19:40

It's rude, ignorant and selfish. I do hope he had contact details for these people and bars them from all future bookings.

My hairdresser has started taking a non-returnable deposit because due to lockdown, etc, people have been making bookings at different places and then just decide which one to go to.

dontmindstayinghome Tue 14-Jul-20 12:01:05

This has been a problem for many years but must be so much harder for the restaurants to manage now.

Some friends of ours used to run a lovely successful restaurant which was forced out of business by a rival restaurant owner who did this to them on a regular basis.

He used to make bookings for several tables, often for quite large parties, then none of them would turn up. It went on for ages before they realised it was a deliberate campaign.

They tried all the usual things like taking phone numbers and deposits but gave up their restaurant in the end because they were so disillusioned.
Some very unscrupulous people out there!