Gransnet forums

Chat

Has Lockdown made us more tolerant of others?

(5 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 15-Jul-20 11:59:21

I ventured into the garden centre this morning. My first proper trip out since 16th March but after I had dropped DH off for a day's fishing I was strangely reluctant to go home.

Their one way system was very professional but Boy, it was long and winding! I'm normally a speed shopper but as I had no choice but to browse and follow the arrows I found myself chatting to the man behind me (at a 2 metre distance of course.)

He prattled on non stop for about twenty minutes about everything under the sun (which wasn't even out) I occasionally got a word in. grin

Before Lockdown I would have been polite but kept my head down, hoping he'd give up. This morning I found myself enjoying a chat with what my granddaughter would call, 'an actual human.'

When I got back to the car I thought, OMG. I'm turning into my mother! grin

Grannybags Wed 15-Jul-20 12:19:05

?

Yes I think you're right. Having a different person to speak to that you haven't been locked up with for months is quite refreshing!

I'm like you, normally I would keep my head down and look the other way hoping nobody speaks to me!

Fennel Wed 15-Jul-20 12:47:19

merlot - my first day 'out' was yesterday and I could have been the man you chatted to. Just desperate to have some social conact again. The phone isn't quite the same.
They say we humans are social animals and it's true imo.
I wonder, if we were deprived of social contact for a very long period, would we be harmed or not?
I feel so sorry for the folks in the old age homes who have only seen their carers for 3-4 months.

timetogo2016 Wed 15-Jul-20 12:59:44

I have found we have been more tolerant and nicer to people (( not that i was horrible before i may add ).
And i too have spoken to people in the queue whilst waiting to get in the shop which just would not have been done before.
I hope that doesn`t change and we all listen and share lifes ups and downs.

annep1 Thu 16-Jul-20 09:53:25

My daughter has been having nice chats with whoever is beside her in the queue. She's not normally that kind of person but she's been very isolated as a single parent.