Gransnet forums

Chat

Judgement

(94 Posts)
ginny Wed 22-Jul-20 17:26:56

Yesterday , I enjoyed lunch n the garden of a very nice pub garden. All very well managed re. Corona virus.
I had just been to the ‘loo’ and as I wandered back to our table I heard two women , probably around late sixties in age , talking about a young lad sitting on his own with a drink.
The conversation disparaged his blue hair, his beard and his ear ring and the fact that they were sure he didn’t have a job and probably was on benefits.
That young lad was my 17 year old DGS who was treating me to a belated birthday lunch, paid for by his own hard earned money. He received an award last month for ‘commitment above and beyond’. He is the kindest chap you could meet and had spent the morning playing catch and football with his 4 year old cousin.
Those two woman may not have had blue hair but they certainly had red faces after my little chat with them.

gillybob Thu 23-Jul-20 08:06:51

Well done you Ginny people can be so horrible and judgmental . I would’ve loved to be a fly in the wall when you “put them straight” .

I remember a young lad coming for an interview who was 19 and had never had any work experience or a job of any kind .

When I asked why he said “because there aren’t any to get ” . I said “oh come on McDonalds are always recruiting “ to which he replied “I wouldn’t flip burgers for anyone” to which I replied “oh that’s a strange attitude . As it happens my own daughter is at Uni and working in McDonalds to pay her way”

His face dropped .

Needless to say he didn’t get the job.

Curlywhirly Thu 23-Jul-20 08:15:49

As I came out of the supermarket I could see that my car door had a small dint on it, that certainly wasn't there when I had parked up. I was just inspecting it when a middleaged couple were running over to me waving their arms and trying to get my attention. The lady had numerous large hooped earings in descending size, a very short buzz haircut, and tatoos. Her partner was a huge man with a massive paunch and covered in tatoos. Both were wearing tight clothes that were too small and, in a nutshell, they looked a right couple of 'hard knocks'. Well, they couldn't have been nicer; they had knocked my car door as they opened their car door. They had no paper to leave a note with their phone number, so had rushed into the supermarket to get some. They were rushing back to my car when they spotted me inspecting the bump. They were so apologetic. I told them not to worry, and thanked them for being so honest. They were a lovely couple. You certainly can't judge a book by its cover. By the way, I never did contact them to pay for the repair; their honesty was payment enough.

Luckygirl Thu 23-Jul-20 08:49:58

Once, whilst on crutches, I had to change trains in Bristol during rush hour. I heaved myself up into the carriage where I had a reserved seat and found myself completely squashed amongst a group of standing people, one of who was a huge, shaven-headed well-tattooed young man who looked utterly terrifying! He took one look at me and said "You need a seat." I explained about the reserved seat and he said "Leave it to me." He elbowed his way through all the people lining the aisle with me in his wake and found someone sitting in the seat - they moved pretty sharpish when he instructed them to do so! Three cheers for that young man!

sodapop Thu 23-Jul-20 08:52:54

Well done ginny what a lovely grandson you have,

Nortsat Thu 23-Jul-20 08:58:49

Great story ginny, your GS sounds lovely.
You sound like a lovely gran, too.
You obviously deserve one another (I mean that in the nicest possible way ?)

Iam64 Thu 23-Jul-20 08:59:03

More support for you ginny and for your lovely grandson. Cold, critical, judgemental, bet their lives aren't anything like as rich as they could be

Lexisgranny Thu 23-Jul-20 09:15:14

I recall a new member of staff many years ago making disparaging remarks about a young man with a shaved head who was picked up from work by two friends both with shaved heads. He expounded at length about “that type”, but was quickly silenced when told that one of them had lost his hair as a result of cancer treatment and the other two had shaved their heads so that he wouldn’t feel so conspicuous. It’s very easy to judge. The young man in question was one of our hardest workers who supported a disabled parent, and was the first to offer help and support to anyone who needed it.

TwiceAsNice Thu 23-Jul-20 10:20:30

Well done Ginny for supporting your lovely grandson and shame on those women for being so judgemental. You both sound great!

Madgran77 Thu 23-Jul-20 10:45:14

ginny ???

ginny Thu 23-Jul-20 11:12:41

Just wanted to say that GS did ask who the two women were. I told him why I had spoken to them. He grinned and said “ ah well, now they will be jealous that they haven’t got a GS like me. Thanks Nan, love you”.

maddyone Thu 23-Jul-20 11:14:25

Good for you ginny.

Greenfinch Thu 23-Jul-20 11:30:16

Good for him as well!

EllanVannin Thu 23-Jul-20 11:30:22

I love stories like this. I also love hearing about put-downs to those deserving of them. Well done to Ginny and GS.

Laughterlines Thu 23-Jul-20 11:41:10

A lesson to all of us, never judge a book by its cover. Sounds like lovely GS and granny. Enjoy each other’s company while you can. Have fun.

PinkCakes Thu 23-Jul-20 18:41:45

Some people can be so quick to judge someone based on appearances. Your GS sounds a lovely young man.

Aepgirl Fri 24-Jul-20 09:29:30

You did the right thing Ginny. Well done.

jane1956 Fri 24-Jul-20 09:35:34

well done you x

Froglady Fri 24-Jul-20 09:38:30

Well Done

Jennifer62 Fri 24-Jul-20 09:38:34

Well done :-)

b1zzle Fri 24-Jul-20 09:40:24

Oh, Well Done, Ginny!

jenpax Fri 24-Jul-20 09:41:17

Oh Ginny that’s awful!
I get so angry at judgemental people! My poor DH has very severe mental health issues, and often looks a bit odd as he doesn’t like his wild hair being cut and wears mismatched weather inappropriate clothing. The number of times I have seen people look down their noses at him because he doesn’t look smart and “normal”! Yet he’s highly educated, funny (sometimes) kind and very intelligent however many narrow minded people can’t see beyond his appearance, and see fit to judge him!
I too have taken people to task! especially when he gets spoken down to or disparaged.
Good got you and hope those vile women were ashamed of themselves!

clareken Fri 24-Jul-20 09:44:58

On holiday with my DM, DDs and DN who is between my DDs in age. Girls are dark haired, he was very blonde. I was dark haired too. Two old dears (sorry ladies and gents) commented that he could not have the same father. DM overheard them, and said, rather sharply, that he doesn't have the same mother either! How they blushed! Lol

B9exchange Fri 24-Jul-20 09:46:46

I had to take my adult son to A and E when he became so dizzy he couldn't stand up. DiL doesn't like hospitals so asked me to take him. When I picked him up he was wearing a beanie hat, old t shirt, frayed jeans and crocs, he had been working on the bathroom floor. Getting him into the car was difficult as he could barely move.

A and E took one look at him and assumed he was drunk, or a drug addict, without even examining him. When I insisted they couldn't ignore him, they directed us to the GP triage service across the car park.

We were beginning to get the same reaction there, but I think the combination of my sadly rather cut glass accent, and the fact that his occupation was an actuary meant at last we did get in to see a doctor. He was furious that A and E had rejected him and I had had to drag him across the car park in a wheel chair. (They had refused to let me use one of their wheelchairs) Turned out he had a raging ear infection which had gone into his inner ear, hence the loss of balance.

So even hospitals can be guilty of prejudging!

Forestflame Fri 24-Jul-20 09:54:55

Good on you Ginny ?.
I hate it when people judge others on their appearance ?. As another poster pointed out they were probably jealous of his lovely blue hair.

grandMattie Fri 24-Jul-20 09:58:52

Congratulations, ginny. And well done to your grandson! Young people are mostly lovely, kind and hardworking despite blue hair earrings and beards...