Gransnet forums

Chat

Judgement

(94 Posts)
ginny Wed 22-Jul-20 17:26:56

Yesterday , I enjoyed lunch n the garden of a very nice pub garden. All very well managed re. Corona virus.
I had just been to the ‘loo’ and as I wandered back to our table I heard two women , probably around late sixties in age , talking about a young lad sitting on his own with a drink.
The conversation disparaged his blue hair, his beard and his ear ring and the fact that they were sure he didn’t have a job and probably was on benefits.
That young lad was my 17 year old DGS who was treating me to a belated birthday lunch, paid for by his own hard earned money. He received an award last month for ‘commitment above and beyond’. He is the kindest chap you could meet and had spent the morning playing catch and football with his 4 year old cousin.
Those two woman may not have had blue hair but they certainly had red faces after my little chat with them.

ginny Fri 24-Jul-20 13:24:04

Well , Missadventure, I certainly won’t. If that is what you like to wear and feel good in it. Good for you, no one else’s business.

MissAdventure Fri 24-Jul-20 13:38:22

Actually, it's elasticated trousers and a black t shirt. grin

Callistemon Fri 24-Jul-20 13:58:25

MissAdventure

Lovely to read this.
I'm just about to pour myself into skin tight (leopardskin) leggings, with a nice cold shoulder top to show off my tatts.
Check my nose ring is in place, and I'll be off out. smile

So glad to hear nobody will judge me for that.

Do you mind! I have appropriated the Bet Lynch look myself.

Actually, one of my DC had facial piercings but was a bit dismayed to find that they didn't heal over when she grew out of it.
Gives her a bit of street cred with her students smile

Minerva Fri 24-Jul-20 14:21:29

MissAdventure

Actually, it's elasticated trousers and a black t shirt. grin

You painted such a lovely picture and now I’m disappointed?

maydonoz Fri 24-Jul-20 14:30:01

Well done you Ginny, I'll bet those two judgemental ladies felt really embarrassed when you had words with them No wonder they slumped off quietly, hopefully they've had a chance to reflect on their attitude and think twice next time.

lilydily9 Fri 24-Jul-20 15:01:12

Way to go Ginny! Makes my blood boil at how judgmental some people can be.

H1954 Fri 24-Jul-20 15:38:19

Nice one ginny! Just goes to show " don't judge a book by its cover "!
And what a lovely, belated birthday present too! ??

Georgesgran Fri 24-Jul-20 15:40:17

I have had similar experiences with DD2. Obviously (❤️) she is drop-dead gorgeous - but a full time wheelchair user, following a stroke when she was 12.

She’s been asked to show her blue badge more times than she’s had hot dinners and a couple of times accused of ‘larking around’ sitting in shopping Centre wheelchairs and told she should be ashamed of herself! One woman couldn’t wait to accost her as she pulled into a disabled parking bay - my daughter flashed her best smile and asked the woman if she thought the wheelchair visible in the back of her car was a ‘fucking fashion accessory!’ X

59viper Fri 24-Jul-20 16:33:26

Oh Ginny that is soooo cool.
Would love to have been there.

hulahoop Fri 24-Jul-20 16:45:54

Well done ginny ?And we'll done to your grandaughter Georgesgran ?

Mealybug Fri 24-Jul-20 17:41:38

Well done you, too many judgemental people around today who should take a look at themselves first.

BlueSky Fri 24-Jul-20 17:47:42

I can't believe people's bad manners actually asking someone whether they are really entitled to use disable parking space! angry

Toadinthehole Fri 24-Jul-20 17:50:21

Good for you....it’s saved me doing it!

welbeck Fri 24-Jul-20 18:04:28

BlueSky

I can't believe people's bad manners actually asking someone whether they are really entitled to use disable parking space! angry

unfortunately it happens all the time, sometimes very aggressively.
it all adds to the extra stress that people with disabilities bear.
most of it comes from other people's attitudes, behaviour, and hostile environment.

re the incident in A&E, imagine if that person had been intoxicated, and was having a stroke...

jerseygirl Fri 24-Jul-20 19:10:21

Good for you ginny, well done!! people are too quick to judge.

Juicylucy Sat 25-Jul-20 01:12:54

This is brilliant well done you. Just goes to show you should not judge anyone by there appearance.

Mamma7 Sat 25-Jul-20 08:55:52

Good for you! ??

Magrithea Mon 27-Jul-20 09:35:13

Well done! I volunteer in our community shop which is in a well known Neolithic site and we get many 'odd looking' customers all of whom are generally friendly, polite and appreciative of the service our shop provides. Don't judge a book by its cover!