Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(55 Posts)
12Michael Fri 24-Jul-20 06:13:47

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a grey but dry start here in Brackley this morning, quiet day today , with small shop and face mask use in the supermarket for 1st time .
Mind you it will become a common item of use , supermarkets and other shops plus take aways as well plus buses and trains etc .
Nothing planned otherwise for myself.
Take Care ,
Mick

Pantglas2 Fri 24-Jul-20 06:21:04

Morning Mick and all who follow from a dry and sunny to come Spain. And here’s some ?for Mancgirl, EllanVannin and anyone else who needs it ☀️

Mango chutney this morning - the making of, as we’re down to the last jar and they were only 2€ a kilo! As a reward for my domestic goddessing, I shall be out to lunch with friends and meet up with t’other ‘alves later on!

Hope there’s good news for those waiting on it x

Beechnut Fri 24-Jul-20 06:22:12

Good Morning everyone from a bright Severnside.

I didn’t get to see my friend yesterday. She was busy with her new house purchase task. We will catch up next week when she comes home.

I’m visiting a cousin this morning and will try to dog proof my garden later. I don’t want him falling into the hole as he is bound to go and have a sniff round.

Take care all and have a lovely day ?

grandMattie Fri 24-Jul-20 06:33:52

Morning from a cloudy E Kent.
Pant, I'm so envious of your mangoes. Are they ripe or green?
A bit whingey today as I really don't want to wear a mask. When I gave blood the other day, I had to wear one for an hour or so, and got very frightened as I had a couple of miin-panic attacks.
Had my hair cut yesterday, pretty radical! DH hated it long.

Nothing much on today...
Be kind to yourselves, those in need - no names as I don't want to miss anyone. Everyone, have a good day, stay safe.

Pantglas2 Fri 24-Jul-20 06:54:34

Gosh GrandMattie that was drastic! But it does look lovely and will be easier to manage!

I picked ripe but firm mangoes as I find if they’re too soft it all turns to mush on boiling and I like mine with some chunks!

NanKate Fri 24-Jul-20 07:05:01

Morning Mick and All

Saying goodbye to the lovely New Forest for another year. Love all the animals roaming freely. Always happy to be returning home, but have loved having a week off from cooking.

Don’t worry GrandM about your mask wearing you will soon get into it. I was very reluctant at first but have got into the swing of it. I pop it in my pocket in between shops. DH quite rightly tells me just to touch the bits that go over my ears and avoid touching the front or sides. In addition now you have your smart new bob hair do it will be easy peasy to pop the mask on before entering the shops.

Having cut my little finger badly whilst on hols I realise even a small incapacity can affect daily life. I’m about to don my rubber glove before my shower. Washing my hair yesterday was no easy feat with one hand.

Mythbirtthedragon Fri 24-Jul-20 07:06:19

Good morning from east London, grey skies outside but no rain yet. Tennis coach and play later this morning, hope it stays dry. Feeling a bit weary as I haven’t slept well (I’ve watched 2 episodes of ER so far this morning) as I’m thinking about the latest video request for choir to go with the song we’ve already recorded. Unlike the previous ones in shutdown, this one has come with specific instructions about backdrop and actions; then again, it doesn’t have to be perfect.
Hope you have a good day.

NfkDumpling Fri 24-Jul-20 07:08:53

Morning All

Oh, I just love mango chutney!

A grey day this morning in the north of Norfolk and quite warm.

DGDog2 who’s on his holiday while his family are in France slid onto the bed again last night. He’s only little but takes up a lot of space and can suddenly become very heavy and difficult to budge! It’s a constant tussle as he waits for me to doze off again before making another attempt.

Nothing on the calendar today except a trip to the charity shop this morning. I need to clear the spare bed before DGD2 comes to stay next week.

MellowYellow Fri 24-Jul-20 07:08:57

Morning everyone from a bright, breezy south Cornwall. Had a flare up of arthritis yesterday so spent the day on (not in) bed, watching films, sewing and eating Maltesers! Someone at the allotments noticed I hadn't been around and watered my greenhouse for me. People can be so kind. Today am meeting a friend in Wetherspoons for coffee. Bet your neck feels cool grandMattie! wink

NfkDumpling Fri 24-Jul-20 07:11:25

(Love the hair GrandM. I have to wait until next week for my cut, and it won’t be as noticeable as yours as I’ve been nibbling away at mine. I rather dreading what my hairdresser has to say as cutting hair by feel isn’t a very reliable method!)

Sar53 Fri 24-Jul-20 07:11:46

Good morning from a cloudy but warm Essex by the sea. I think the sun will probably appear later.
A full on day yesterday with our 6 year old DGS. We went for a long walk and flew his kite with him which he loved , as did Grandad ?. I sat and coloured with him whilst Grandad had 40 winks.
We were both very tired last night after 2 lovely days with grandchildren.
We are off to the garden centre today to buy some animal friendly weed killer to try and get rid of the ivy that takes over a corner of out car park in the summer. We have a playing field behind our car park and the council kindly managed to get rid of a lot of ivy last year but it is growing again.
Nothing else planned apart from vacuuming up the crumbs left by the biscuits consumed in the last couple of days.
Have a pleasant Friday, dont forget your masks and stay safe xx

kittylester Fri 24-Jul-20 07:14:36

Morning all from a sticky North Leicestershire.

We have an appointment at the dump this morning so have to get the car packed up.

Our two major projects are finished - we have the tidiest garage you've ever seen and the only things left in the roof belong to the children or things of ours they have asked us to save!

Now what?

Sorry you are still having a problem with your finger Kate.

I preferred your hair long Grandmattie, but don't tell you dh!

Marydoll Fri 24-Jul-20 07:15:06

Good morning Mick and all from a sunny Glasgow.☀️

Today is a big day for me. Some shielding restrictions have been relaxed and if I wanted, I could go to the shops However, I won't be going, I'm too scared ! Just knowing I can , is enough for me.
Because I'm due another treatment on Monday, which will make me even more vulnerable, my consultant has warned me to be extra careful. The best part of change in advice for me, is that my children can now come into my home. I'm so happy, as I was feeling quite low and a little bit sorry for myself. ☹️

Well the deed is done! I have had my hair cut at last. The hairdresser came yesterday and also cut my daughter's hair. I had it cut shorter than usual, but it's too late now! You could have made a wig with the hair on the floor! ?

My DD hasn't been in my home since March, the day before her cancelled wedding. It was such a joy to see her sitting talking to her dad.?. Still no cuddles yet!

She and her fiancè will be up tonight to help try out the gazebo we have bought in preparation for DD's proposed garden wedding in a few weeks. ? DH and I tried to assemble it, but the instructions are really only meant for tall and people with a reasonable level of dexterity.
I attempted to help DH and failed miserably. ?

DH is off to play golf and I shall enjoy a couple of hours to potter about. Hoping the Tesco delivery doesn't come until his return.
I plan to make tablet for my neighbours and some Belgian buns for my visitors. Plenty to keep me out of trouble.?

Yesterday my neighbour phoned over to ask if I wanted to come out to play ?‍♀️ ?. She appeared to be hiding something behind her back, when she appeared. ?
She handed my other friend and I a triple pack of chocolate Turkish delight for a treat! We only found out recently, after thirty years, that we all loved Turkish delight!
A simple pleasure, but such a kind thought. I couldn't wait to break open the packet and have a cuppa.☕

As always, thinking of our missing friends and hoping there is a glimmer of hope for them soon. ?

Enjoy your day everyone, whatever your plans.

Marydoll Fri 24-Jul-20 07:17:44

Crossed posts GM, your hair looks lovely. ?

Rowantree Fri 24-Jul-20 07:22:00

Kitty I am SO darned envious of your garage. I've been trying to get OH to co-operate and agree we should make a start but he won't, so it remains a hell-hole. Sigh. I'll keep trying!
Grandmattie LOVE the hair! I've had mine cut too and now it's a different colour too, Kind of deep lavender and I really like it.
Today I need to clean up a huge cat turd from a newly planted border in the driveway. Found it when we arrived home yesterday evening from a lovely day with friends at Sheffield Park Garden in Sussex. Erghh. Then I'll try to mix up some animal repellent from anything strong smelling I have in the house, crack on with gardening and other jobs. Just completed an online aerobic workout and feeling smug, but I only got a couple of hours' sleep last night so I probably won't last long today before collapsing in front of mindless TV programmes!

Spangler Fri 24-Jul-20 07:22:04

Good morning. mango chutney, the perfect accompaniment for a brie & bacon baguette. I have a few letters to write today, does anyone else still hand write in pen and ink?
I had stop by at a 24 hour garage earlier where they also have a convenience store. Fishy cat food, talk about stink, but Lulu loves it, and we love Lulu.

NanKate Fri 24-Jul-20 07:22:28

I’m fine thanks Kitty this small accident has made me realise how difficult life must be for people with far more major incapacity. I haven’t broken any bones and as I fell on the grass I didn’t hurt myself only my finger dragging down on the gate netting. Having just returned from supper at the pub I wonder if the large glass of Merlot aided my soft landing ?

cornergran Fri 24-Jul-20 07:37:23

Morning Mick, morning All. Grey and damp in our corner of Somerset. Radio weather forecast has just assured me it’s sunny hmm. Grocery delivery due soon, some admin, perhaps a trip to the garden centre this afternoon, could do with some new secateurs. Hair cut for me next week, I’ve also been a DiY hairdresser so taking a flack jacket. Be gentle with yourselves everyone. .

GrannyGravy13 Fri 24-Jul-20 07:45:32

Good morning Mick and all

Grey and humid here in S E Essex.

DGS is still asleep, GrandpaGravy is making the tea and will bring mine and GS’s up
to us. Waitrose delivery due between 9-10am. Then I shall potter the rest of the morning and put my feet up when GS has been collected.

You were brave grandmattie your hair looks good before and after lovely colour.

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️

Pittcity Fri 24-Jul-20 07:51:55

Good morning from a grey drizzly Colchester.
It's beginning to clear though.
DH is venturing to the dentist this morning as they are back doing check ups. I've an appointment next week and will be glad to know the drill (pun intended) in advance.

Urmstongran Fri 24-Jul-20 07:59:04

Sun’s up here! ?
Good morning everyone from Malaga ? we’re off to the beach. It’s cooler down there!

Yesterday we strolled into Torremolinos - it takes us just over an hour to get there - and enjoyed lunch at a bodega off the main drag. At 2pm it was busting with locals. We were the only non-Spanish there. Very clean, masks needed to go inside to the loo, tapas at a barrel outside (ooh getting up on those high stools is an art form in a dress!). Cod & prawn fritters, spicy mini pork skewers and huge flat stuffed mushrooms. Delicious.

Walking home at 5pm was like ‘old’ Spain years ago. You could’ve heard a pin drop in the heat haze. Just the sound of cicadas and our feet on the pavement - and this was along the (usually) busy dual carriageway. There is truly hardly anyone around - it’s like the Spain of 50 years ago. Actually it’s really lovely but obviously a great sadness for the reason why this summer.

I too prefer the longer hair grandMattie but I expect you’re much cooler. I enlarged the photo to see who was in the mirror!

Hi Mr.GM ?

Hope Friday is good to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Gingster Fri 24-Jul-20 08:00:14

Good morning all. A bit overcast here In Essex but it has started like this all week and then has turned sunny and hot for the rest of the day. We have had a lovely summer in the South East and feel for the people who are further North where you haven’t had any sun . Your turn must come soo . ?
GrandMattie . I bet you feel much cooler with your hair short. I was going to have mine cut but was persuaded by family and friends to keep it longer. Even my hairdresser agreed, so just a trim for me. I’ll see how it goes.

Marydoll I too love the Turkish delight bars and DH bought me a pack of 3 yesterday. I have to eat them straight from the fridge, though.
Spangler I still write in pen and ink. I’ve just written 20 Thankyou cards for my birthday presents. I enjoy it.
I received a lovely video that had been collated from family, friends sending their birthday messages. Ive watched it so many times and cry every time.

DH is playing golf this morning and I have a friend coming for coffee, so we will be able to chat in peace.

Have a gentle and pleasant day ?

brook2704 Fri 24-Jul-20 08:04:23

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s warm and dry but a bit cloudy. Thank you for the sunshine Pantglas? Wow such a lot of news to catch up on already today lots of GMorningers up early and so impressed Rowantree that you’ve already done an hour long aerobics class! And well done with sorting out the garage kitty I just need my DH to do the same ...
Yesterday I enjoyed my coffee and catch up with my friend, as usual we sat chatting for a couple of hours and the time flew by! A couple of our neighbours have organised a bit of a get together this evening on the front lawns with some live music. It’s bring your own food, drink, tables and chairs etc so that should be lovely and a different way to spend an evening. Fingers crossed it stays dry!
Good news that some of the shielding restrictions have been eased marydoll it’s definitely one step small at a time but I imagine makes such a difference
Hope everyone finds something to enjoy today and take care whatever the day brings ?

NannyJan53 Fri 24-Jul-20 08:15:43

Good Morning from a very dull but warm Black Country.

Collecting the caravan today from it's service, then putting it on Mums drive so we can clean it and get it ready for our trip away on Monday. First time the caravan was towed yesterday, even though it was bought at the end of next year. Lockdown put paid to trips before now.

We are only going to Bewdley which is 30 minutes drive, as we just want to test it out being newbies to caravanning.

Glad you had a good time in the New Forest NanKate, hopefully we can take our caravan there sometime. DD and family are off to a cottage in Cardigan Bay today. They only booked it Wednesday.

Wishing everyone a good Friday.

Grandmabatty Fri 24-Jul-20 08:17:05

Good morning All. It's very grey here in Polmont but the forecast is good so I'm hopeful the clouds will lift. I'm off to Stirling to pick up my son to take him to Bathgate with the paperwork for his car he's selling. A bit like groundhog day from Wednesday! Then this afternoon my DD is visiting with my DGS. So a family day for me. I'm looking forward to it. I hope everyone has a good day.