Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(56 Posts)
12Michael Fri 24-Jul-20 06:13:47

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a grey but dry start here in Brackley this morning, quiet day today , with small shop and face mask use in the supermarket for 1st time .
Mind you it will become a common item of use , supermarkets and other shops plus take aways as well plus buses and trains etc .
Nothing planned otherwise for myself.
Take Care ,
Mick

GrannyGravy13 Fri 24-Jul-20 08:18:27

Urnstongran our friends five year old got well and truly told off by the Beach Police in Los Boliches yesterday for having a float in the sea (he cannot swim and was in very shallow water) apparently floats, Lilos, rubber rings etc are not allowed at the moment. He was so upset and tried explaining in spainish that he couldn’t swim. They left the beach and went home as he was so upset, his big brother was not impressed ??

grandMattie Fri 24-Jul-20 08:21:51

Thank you for all your kind comments. FYI my hair is naturally that colour since I stopped having white streaks put in.
Urms, It wasn’t a mirror, DS1 took the photos, and DH was in dining room reading! The second photo was taken over the stairs...

Nannytopsy Fri 24-Jul-20 08:25:17

Good morning Mick and all his followers.
A cloudy day in Suffolk but dry and warm. We are heading to Lowestoft in search of a fish merchant. FiL lived there and we used to get supplies for the freezer. Looking forward to a day out and perhaps fish and chips?
Yesterday was not very organised. Visit DS & family to drop of lots of bits and pieces including 2 bags of bolted lettuces etc for the chickens. Next to the charity drop off - first thing I see in the car are the chicken greens. Then to the supermarket for a click and collect. On the back seat is a large bag of stuff for the charity shop. ?
We had to go back to the charity and DS’s. Unfortunately each place is 10 - 12 miles apart so I had done almost 100 miles by the time we got home. Two bird brains at work at the same time! I had to have a large Pimms when I got home!
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

Grammaretto Fri 24-Jul-20 08:28:24

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders where I am hoping for a fine day at last. The garden needs tackling as everything grows too fast . It's a shame that no-one has been able to enjoy it this week. By the evenings the midges attack.
I can imagine an old Spain Urmston it must be lovely and I'm glad you are there to appreciate it.
Edinburgh is equally strange. It is usually uncomfortably crowded at the start of August with the festival and fringe and now you can play "spot the tourist"

We are going into shops but not very much and quickly. Everyone has speeded up with the wearing of face masks and the distancing in the queue. It's actually much more civilised now!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 24-Jul-20 08:28:39

Morning all from a dullish but warm South Notts. I expect it will heat up later so it'll be a summer dress again - they're getting quite a bit of wear this year. Another quiet day with self-indulgent sewing and reading, perhaps a little dead-heading in the garden, nothing very exciting.
Hope today is good for everyone, especially those with illness or worries.

lemongrove Fri 24-Jul-20 08:35:58

Morning to all.
Sunny day again here, am musing on what to do as we have the day to ourselves.Walks or gardening.....still not going to the shops.Teenage grandson here yesterday and he ate us out of house and home.No more cooking for me today, it’s a cheese salad for lunch.
Does anyone use ink anymore? I do write letters as I have plenty of lovely writing paper, but use a ballpoint pen.
What’s in your Pimms Nannytopsy....looks a bit like boiled eggs!?

gillybob Fri 24-Jul-20 08:51:18

Good morning from the NE coast where we have a dry start to the day . We had heavy rain almost all day yesterday with more expected later today .

I really liked your longer hair GrandMattie it looked so neat and in very good condition too . But I suppose it’s what you feel more comfortable with that matters.

My hair grew a lot during lockdown too and I was tempted to keep it longer as I hate going to the hairdressers but it’s back to its short bob kind of length now.

I’m off to “that place” in about 15 minutes where I will be having my usual Friday morning tidy up of the kitchen area and clean the loos etc. It’s a yucky job cleaning men’s loos but someone has to do it . Still no news about the contract. Good or bad . My right hand man thinks there might be some internal politics going on and he could well be right.

I’m meeting my 10 year old grandson at lunch time and taking him for his much needed new football boots. Not looking forward to wearing a face mask though. He is back doing proper training and his feet just keep growing. Then we are picking his little cousin Evie up on the way back and coming back to mine as DD is on a later shift at work .

Thinking of all our dear friends who are feeling sad, under the weather or poorly . Wishing them some much needed sunshine

Have as good a Friday as possible everyone. Love Gillybob xx

Gelisajams Fri 24-Jul-20 08:58:58

Good morning from a bright sunny Shetland. Hopefully it will stay dry for our walk today. We are planning on doing one of our favourite walks but it’s quite long so hopefully the weather will stay fair. The weather here can change either way in minutes and certainly doesn’t follow any forecast.
Really hoping that contract comes through for Gilly
Take care and stay safe everyone

Anniebach Fri 24-Jul-20 08:59:27

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

GrannySomerset Fri 24-Jul-20 09:01:27

Awaiting arrival of gardener to do some serious shrub tidying. Will need to supervise or everything will be attacked, whether or not now is the right time, but can no longer cope myself. Very frustrating.

After an exciting week of routine dental appointments and DH’s haircut yesterday will need to psych myself up for a supermarket foray, but nothing else planned.

Wishing all poorly and/or worried posters a good day.

Puzzler61 Fri 24-Jul-20 09:19:32

Good morning Mick and all,
A promising start to the day, sunny and warm. Have started watering the garden daily as it’s getting parched again.

Nannytopsy I think Pimms is the ideal drink for summer, it’s refreshing, pretty to look at - makes you want to drink it , and you can add some of the 5a day fruits to it. What’s not to like? ?

grandMattie your hairdresser has given your hair a very nice , shaped back (and front I’m sure) and your DH can plonk a little kiss on the back of your neck every day now he can see it again ?

Nothing pressing to do today, probably some embroidery. I’ve not planned to go out but have packed 3 face masks in a zipped bag inside my handbag ready for when I go in a shop. (I can choose the colour and style on the day, depending on how the mood takes me).

Wishing poorly or injured people a better day and to everyone planning happy meet ups with family and friends or going out to shop or eat - keep safe.
We still need to keep at least a metre apart even with masks on. ?

Greyduster Fri 24-Jul-20 09:22:11

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. A late one for us today - too much fresh air yesterday I expect! We had a lovely afternoon at Wentworth Castle Gardens. The sun was shining in South Yorkshire this morning, but has now decided to go somewhere else! Ironing for me, bathroom cleaning and then trying to finish picking up stitches on a circular needle that may not take them all!!! Have a good safe day folks!

Nortsat Fri 24-Jul-20 09:24:35

Good morning Mick and the GM team from a warm if cloudy east London.

I too, am a bit anxious about shielding ending. I am looking forward to it of course, but am anxious. I am excused wearing a face mask and have an explanation to that effect on my phone, to show to people. However, I will try to wear it. My consultant said I should practice in the house, so that I get used to it.
My phone consultation with Barts was good yesterday and I am making progress but it’s slow. Ironically I am not feeling great today.

Two family birthdays coming up and we posted the cards and gifts in good time.

NfkD isn’t it remarkable how much space a relatively small animal takes up on the bed. When our cat Ollie gets on the bed, it’s as though there’s another person taking up all the room.
Spangler, of course you had to trek to the 24 hour garage, to get Lulu her preferred breakfast. For goodness sake woman, don’t let your standards slip...

Hope everyone has a good day and ?for those who need them. ?

gillgran Fri 24-Jul-20 09:30:19

Good Morning to you all, from a grey, but dry & warm Cambs.,

GrandMattie, your hair looks great, I actually thought that the "before" photo, was the finished result, both looked so good.
I've yet to have mine cut, last cut was late Feb., so it's now a short cut grown long, sad. My hair is fine & a bit on the thin side, & I don't know what to do with it, I'd like to keep it less short than I've worn it this past 20 years. Advice.?

Take Care Folks

EllanVannin Fri 24-Jul-20 09:31:59

Good Morning All x.
Thankyou for your thoughts Pantglas, but low cloud is still hanging over the Wirral peninsula and it's very still so no chance of it getting dispersed. Not a leaf flickering. It's mild.

I learned that the local bakery had opened and got quite excited with myself until I realised that mask-wearing is in force today. Although I have a bagful of them I'm going to arrange a thin/fine scarf around the nose and mouth and hang onto the masks for later in autumn when the bugs multiply or there won't be any to be had.

Decent bread is on the agenda and some cream cakes grin
It's only a little shop and two are allowed at once so I'm hoping the queue isn't too long.

Not sure what I'll be up to today though there's plenty that I should/ could be doing, but I'll get there if I get a sudden spurt of energy.

Just remembered to email a prescription, last minute again.

I hope you ladies are keeping well and Mick is all geared up ready for the off. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay.

Thinking of those who are feeling unwell or down in the dumps, Gilly particularly xx Take great care everyone and enjoy whatever you do.

Urmstongran Fri 24-Jul-20 09:33:32

Nortsat - Spangler is a man.
?

Legs55 Fri 24-Jul-20 09:34:00

Good morning from Devon sunshine now but a few grey clouds around.

Day at home, garden if it stays nice otherwise phone calls/admin./housework. Just gong to put a wash on & generally play it by ear grin

Froglady Fri 24-Jul-20 09:46:29

Good morning to everybody.
Quite bright here in Blackburn, but sun hiding behind some clouds.
I have to go and try and clean my kitchen carpet some time today as I had a disaster with an opened bottle of squash last night. The top shot out like a bullet, bottle fell over and blackcurrant squash went everywhere, carpet, cupboards, clothes I was wearing, microwave, etc, etc. Carpet doesn't look as bad now as it did last night when it was still wet, but have to try and clean it a bit. It looked like a massacre had taken place last night.
So a fun day today!

Nannytopsy Fri 24-Jul-20 09:50:00

Lemongrove ice cubes, raspberries and slices of orange. It changes depending on what DH can find! I think you and I have the same kind of hair Gillgran and we probably look about the same now - mine was cut in February too. It is below my shoulders at the back but so uneven. I like a nice clean line! Going for a layered bob when I finally get my appointment next Saturday, with a sideswept fringe. I put “hairstyles for fine hair “ into google and look at the pictures.
X

gillgran Fri 24-Jul-20 09:57:56

Thank you Nannytopsy, I think a Pimms may help too, please. wink

BladeAnnie Fri 24-Jul-20 09:59:16

Good morning all from an overcast but warm mid-Notts so maybe see a bit of sun later. I'm having the tear duct on one of my eyes cauterised on Monday so need to take a covid test at home tomorrow and it will be collected by the testing lab. I need to have it done and ready for collection by 6am!! Collection is anytime between 6am and 6pm. I'm hoping beyond hope that it is clear as I've been shielding since March!! A quiet day today - no plans as such. Hope everyone has the best day possible and please stay safe x

harrigran Fri 24-Jul-20 09:59:30

Good morning from an overcast NE, yet again.
Click and collect had everything we ordered but dates were very short so will have to jiggle the menu for a few days.
Waiting to see if DS rings to say they are doing a walk today, said I would join them if they were doing one on the level.

Susan56 Fri 24-Jul-20 10:14:41

Good morning from Shropshire where the sun is doing it’s best to shine.

Took DGD home yesterday afternoon.The house seems so quiet without her.☹️

We have a slot booked at Powis Castle this afternoon and hoping to find somewhere to buy some plants on the way home.

We called at the supermarket on the way home last night.I found it quite stressful as now the rules are relaxing there was very little social distancing and only myself,DH and one other couple wearing masks.

I still have my fingers crossed for you gilly.Hope you have a lovely afternoon with your grandchildren and it takes your mind off that place for a few hours.

Good wishes to all unwell or with other worries.?

farview Fri 24-Jul-20 10:15:38

Morning everyone from a very dreary grey sky day here in Bolton..had 3 granddaughters here yesterday..was wonderful to hear their laughter..also enjoyed a 2hour walk up Rivington with them...this morning have hoovered up all the cake crumbs under the table and mopped up spilled cordial stains..brilliant...feeling more like normal life?
Keep on keeping safe everyone...

Georgesgran Fri 24-Jul-20 10:32:44

Good morning from Durham. Found your sun Greyduster - it’s here!! Going to try and persuade it to stay for the weekend.

Hoping DD1 will bring GS today - he’s in the terrible twos and quite a handful. His speech isn’t coming as it should, bright as a button, so hope it will ‘all come at once’ but his Nursery’s recommended speech therapy but no idea when.

We have DD2’s little boy - 10 year old Shitzu - when they are away - he and I sleep in the spare room. Between DH’s snoring and many visits to the loo through the night and that ‘boy’ pushing me to the edge of the bed, it’s an easy choice to make!

Didn’t make the Waitrose recipe last night - fish and chips at Tommy instead. Please look him up - just google Tommy at Seaham or similar and you’ll find him. Saw an item on him in a national newspaper years ago, took my breath away, then discovered he’s only a few miles away. Worth a look.

Safe day everyone. X