Gransnet forums

Chat

Always know your own mind ?

(42 Posts)
Lucca Sat 25-Jul-20 08:24:07

Reading the NHS or Private thread got me thinking that sometimes I am very conflicted (I think that’s the right word) in my views. I know it’s partly due to ignorance of some topics or lack of understanding of others. A lot of GN contributors seem very certain indeed. Are you ? Are you right to be so certain ? Or does that smack of inflexibility?

Pantglas2 Sat 25-Jul-20 08:33:12

You’re right Lucca - I can be conflicted, or open to persuasion on things. Probably more so as I get older, I think. A very wise older colleague once told me that circumstances alter cases.

BlueSky Sat 25-Jul-20 08:35:02

I'm like you Lucca as you say partly because of lack of full knowledge of a subject or lack of understanding. Also I'm always open to listen to others' points of view and then make my mind up.

sodapop Sat 25-Jul-20 08:37:29

I sometimes annoy myself Lucca when I'm conflicted which happens more often now I'm older. I used to be a straight down the line person, quite definite in my views now I see value in both sides of an argument. There are still some things I'm unequivocal about but often I find myself wavering,

tickingbird Sat 25-Jul-20 08:38:25

There’s nothing wrong with having an open mind.

sodapop Sat 25-Jul-20 08:38:47

That's very true Pantglas circumstances do alter cases, I agree.

Curlywhirly Sat 25-Jul-20 08:40:46

Oh I am conflicted on most things! I would be rubbish on a jury. I could listen to completely different statements from both the accusor and the accused and completely believe both. I can so easily be swayed. But there are certain things that I have extremely strong views on: child abuse and animal welfare and cruely. I also can't bear any kind of injustice, but other than those things, I have quite an open mind.

Chewbacca Sat 25-Jul-20 08:42:16

The only thing I'm certain of is that nothing is certain any more.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 25-Jul-20 08:53:55

So very true Chewbacca

Lucca Sat 25-Jul-20 08:54:20

tickingbird

There’s nothing wrong with having an open mind.

Agreed ! but that’s not quite what I meant. It’s the thinking I absolutely know my views but maybe not being able to back them up or listening to someone else and then doubting my self.

Grandmabatty Sat 25-Jul-20 08:56:11

I had very definite opinions about everything when I was younger. As I have aged, I can see room for flexibility in most things. I think being able to see all sides is a sign of empathy. I still have opinions but not perhaps as forcefully expressed!

Lucca Sat 25-Jul-20 08:56:15

Pantglas2

You’re right Lucca - I can be conflicted, or open to persuasion on things. Probably more so as I get older, I think. A very wise older colleague once told me that circumstances alter cases.

That’s good actually as a lot of people become totally inflexible as they get older!

tickingbird Sat 25-Jul-20 09:05:41

Well if it makes you think that’s a good thing.

shysal Sat 25-Jul-20 09:06:20

I am often conflicted and can often see both sides of an argument. If I believed in astrology I would say it is because I am a Gemini.
I don't contribute to threads on religion or politics for this reason.

sodapop Sat 25-Jul-20 09:09:55

That goes for me too shysal

Chewbacca Sat 25-Jul-20 09:13:03

Thinking about it a little more; I think with such easy assess to the www and the vast amount of information that's available to us, it's so much easier now to research and investigate a subject in more depth. Opinions and beliefs that we have perhaps held onto for many years can be overturned or re evaluated when we start to look deeper and find information that challenges what we've always thought or believed in. It's much easier now to be swayed in our beliefs or consider other viewpoints because we can access so many others.

Lucca Sat 25-Jul-20 09:16:05

Good post chewbacca.

annep1 Sat 25-Jul-20 09:25:41

Yes Lucca. I can have a view on some topic but if presented with more information I sometimes change my mind. And often when debating things with my husband or reading GN posts, I can see things from a different angle. GN has helped me to be more open to other viewpoints. I think we should be open minded and tolerant, generally speaking.
However there are 3 topics on which I am totally inflexible in my views and no one will ever persuade me I am wrong. Its good to be passionate about things too.

Lucca Sat 25-Jul-20 09:48:10

annep1

Yes Lucca. I can have a view on some topic but if presented with more information I sometimes change my mind. And often when debating things with my husband or reading GN posts, I can see things from a different angle. GN has helped me to be more open to other viewpoints. I think we should be open minded and tolerant, generally speaking.
However there are 3 topics on which I am totally inflexible in my views and no one will ever persuade me I am wrong. Its good to be passionate about things too.

Aha.....and what are they I wonder

Galaxy Sat 25-Jul-20 09:56:07

I think many of us have lost the knack of critical thinking, we tend to stay in our tribes who tend to agree with us. Changing your mind is a strength not a weakness.

rockgran Sat 25-Jul-20 10:15:12

I think that as you get older you do see that there are more points of view and multiple repercussions. That is probably why younger people feel more passionate about good causes. They see the world more in terms of right and wrong. I remember asking my Dad why solders didn't just refuse to fight - then there would be no wars. It seems so simple to a child.

Aldom Sat 25-Jul-20 10:37:15

The perspective changes, depending on where you stand.

annep1 Sat 25-Jul-20 10:45:36

What are they I wonder

As you asked Lucca
I'm afraid there's nothing very interesting or unusual...Capital punishment, distribution of wealth, abortion. It's actually four but dare I say it .. ..the RF.

NotSpaghetti Sat 25-Jul-20 10:46:15

There are things I’m pretty fixed on and things I’m not. I do however love research and my adult children joke about this! It means that I may be certain for years about something and then “update” according to new evidence. This has happened about a few things in my life. It is painful sometimes, but necessary...

I think years of working with and for people in lots of “sharp end” roles means I feel I can see things from other’s points of view but I’m only a shadow of my former campaigning self, sadly. Some days I feel really sad about this. It’s not always changing your mind... sometimes it’s just too exhausting to keep bashing your head on a wall about things, however wrong.

geekesse Sat 25-Jul-20 10:48:57

Chewbacca

Thinking about it a little more; I think with such easy assess to the www and the vast amount of information that's available to us, it's so much easier now to research and investigate a subject in more depth. Opinions and beliefs that we have perhaps held onto for many years can be overturned or re evaluated when we start to look deeper and find information that challenges what we've always thought or believed in. It's much easier now to be swayed in our beliefs or consider other viewpoints because we can access so many others.

The flip side of this is that people spend a couple of hours on Google, taking what they read at face value, and then assume they are experts on a topic. They then ignore or shout down people who have education, training and years of experience in a particular field.

Personally, I prefer to hold almost all views provisionally, and am grateful to learn from and to take on board the genuine expertise of others. However, in the fields where I have years of hard-won education and life-experience expertise, I am not really interested in the views of someone who has done a few hours of unfiltered Internet ‘research’.