Gransnet forums

Chat

Somebody’s got to do it....

(130 Posts)
Bluebellwould Sat 25-Jul-20 20:36:31

What does everyone make of the latest Meghan and Harry ?

BBbevan Fri 31-Jul-20 17:27:45

Me too

Callistemon Fri 31-Jul-20 16:17:49

Spot on Jabberwok.
I feel exactly the same

Jabberwok Fri 31-Jul-20 12:51:46

Lets just say, having once been a fan of PH and in the early days, MM. I am deeply disappointed with the couple we now have as opposed to the couple we thought we had two years ago!

maddyone Thu 30-Jul-20 17:55:51

Totally agree with you merlot. The arrogance is simply astounding. What on earth qualifies either of them to preach to the public, who are in the middle of a pandemic which has pretty much suspended travel and rendered a foreign holiday impossible for millions of people, and for millions more who will be unable to afford or even consider a foreign holiday as they will become unemployed.
H+M’s sense of timing- zilch!

NotTooOld Thu 30-Jul-20 16:44:51

Jabberwok - you don't approve of PH, then? grin only joking. I enjoyed reading your post and I agree with you.

loopyloo Thu 30-Jul-20 15:53:04

It's going to interesting to see how these two get on with their life. Meghan doesn't have a very good past record. But I wonder if President is one of her aims.
What do the Americans think about it all?

Illte Thu 30-Jul-20 14:33:04

And of course, his company will be making money from this.

Callistemon Thu 30-Jul-20 14:24:11

merlotgran isn't that his latest mission? I think they have set up a company called Travelyst together with some commercial firms in the travel industry.

They want to encourage people to travel but "in a sustainable fashion" because we have a shared responsibility to our planet and to each other.

I am struggling for words.

Jabberwok Thu 30-Jul-20 14:22:43

Perhaps now he has no palace advisers , only sycophants, he simply doesn't realise how patronising, bordering on offensive his ridiculous comments are!? He doesn't know the first thing about 'putting food on the table'! living a life of luxury, how could he?! Constantly lecturing the public at large, first one thing then another, telling us how awful we are, (even the Queen!!) and how we must all work hard to improve our wicked ways!! How dare this wretched man lecture the rest of us when he and his family live the sort of life that totally contradict his oh so wise words! Honestly, I could box his stupid ears! and I'm not a violent person!

Bluebellwould Thu 30-Jul-20 13:47:28

Merlotgran, just what I was thinking. Who on earth has asked him to come out and be the saviour of all mankind? I used to like him and have sympathy for him, but now?

merlotgran Thu 30-Jul-20 13:42:17

Harry was preaching to the travel industry again last night urging them to 'build back better!'

'Businesses are hurting significantly, and I've heard from some of you who are currently struggling to put food on your family's tables and make ends meet because there are no tourists and therefore no income.

'We need to build back - but we need to build back better. And that means there's a responsibility, a responsibility we cannot avoid or dismiss, for us to reshape this industry in a way that benefits everyone and everything for decades to come.'

This is from somebody who doesn't have a job, lives in a borrowed mansion and favours travelling by private jet.

Patronising arrogance!

Jabberwok Thu 30-Jul-20 13:21:37

I did too, at the time! I don't now, hypocritical and unkind to the RF, H M in particular.

Callistemon Thu 30-Jul-20 10:57:28

BibiSarah

*Meghan's veil with the Commonwealth flowers embroidered on to it was inspired and I really thought that was an indication of the route they would take.*

It wasn’t inspired. It was copied from the Queen and should have been left as something only she did.

Oh well, I liked it!

tickingbird Thu 30-Jul-20 10:34:52

When I come across a thread I have no interest in I move on. There’s too much of this ‘stop being bitchy’ nonsense. Carry on ladies and don’t ’t feel you have to respond to the naysayers.

BibiSarah Thu 30-Jul-20 10:13:58

Meghan's veil with the Commonwealth flowers embroidered on to it was inspired and I really thought that was an indication of the route they would take.

It wasn’t inspired. It was copied from the Queen and should have been left as something only she did.

maddyone Wed 29-Jul-20 19:28:27

‘Can’t we let it rest.’
What does this mean if it doesn’t mean stop talking about it? I’m puzzled.

merlotgran Wed 29-Jul-20 19:22:33

Nice try, Lucca but I'm not going to rise to the bait.

Jabberwok Wed 29-Jul-20 18:53:42

If we give it a rest then no one will post about the subject of this thread (H & M) which will have the effect of closing it down!!

Lucca Wed 29-Jul-20 18:47:05

maddyone

This thread is absolutely not a private thread. Anyone can read and comment, or not if they don’t want to, but no one has the right to tell others to drop the thread on the grounds that they don’t like it, or agree with what other posters say. No one!
If posters don’t like the subject, or what is being said, they have options.
1) don’t read the thread
2) read the thread but don’t comment
3) read the thread and comment
But they do not have the option to try to close the thread down!

Nobody “tried to close the thread down”
Somebody said “can’t we let it rest “. Hardly a threat to close it down.

Lucca Wed 29-Jul-20 18:44:37

merlotgran

Of course it isn't a private thread, Lucca but I would never be so rude as to suggest that somebody 'let a topic rest' because I disagree with their comments.

It would be different if we were digging up old news but when an report in the public domain changes from day to day we have a right to discuss it without censorship.

1. I didn’t suggest any such thing
2. The poster who did said “can’t we let it rest”. As a question/suggestion
3. Calling it censorship when people disagree is a bit OTT

eazybee Wed 29-Jul-20 18:25:00

To paraphrase a letter from c. 1994, at the time of Sarah Ferguson's shenanigans:

SIR - I deplore the behaviour of (photographer) and the tabloid press in publishing intimate photographs on the bogus grounds of public interest.
I deplore the Duchess of York's ignominious behaviour.
Most of all, I deplore the salacious and mischievous trait of my own character which makes me want to rush out and buy the paper which published them.

Sums me up, I am afraid.

maddyone Wed 29-Jul-20 17:36:42

And I’m interested too. Although I’d be happier if H+M would stop dropping snippets to the news. They are feeding the media, which is always hungry.

maddyone Wed 29-Jul-20 17:34:47

This thread is absolutely not a private thread. Anyone can read and comment, or not if they don’t want to, but no one has the right to tell others to drop the thread on the grounds that they don’t like it, or agree with what other posters say. No one!
If posters don’t like the subject, or what is being said, they have options.
1) don’t read the thread
2) read the thread but don’t comment
3) read the thread and comment
But they do not have the option to try to close the thread down!

NotTooOld Wed 29-Jul-20 16:56:07

I think it's interesting! Please carry on with the thread.

Jabberwok Wed 29-Jul-20 15:37:16

And some of us are interested! Are you suggesting lucca that we should cease a discussion because someone else finds it irritating and would like the conversation shutdown?!