Gransnet forums

Chat

Eating out discount valid from 3rd August until end of the month

(31 Posts)
12Michael Wed 29-Jul-20 15:05:46

Click onto this to find ut where you can eat with discount just put in postcode
Mick
www.tax.service.gov.uk/eat-out-to-help-out/find-a-restaurant/?fbclid=IwAR29Eubpmtkl7XLqXOT-BSnFe8pi6OT4RhozuhQZMTu_0B0TInKoZQ-4C50

Jane10 Wed 29-Jul-20 15:07:30

I was amazed at the huge numbers of places near us taking part in this scheme. Hope it helps the hospitality industry.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 29-Jul-20 15:30:00

We have been really surprised at the amount of local restaurants taking part in the scheme, from all price points

Callistemon Wed 29-Jul-20 15:30:27

Thank you Mick.

I was astonished as I thought there would be very few places around here.
A couple of the eateries I know have outdoor seating so we may try it, I wasn't intending to go anywhere but I'm tempted now.

Greenfinch Wed 29-Jul-20 16:02:15

I am very tempted as there is a place just a few hundred yards from us and we have another offer already to be used there.. It is quite an upmarket place and has outdoor seating but I am still concerned about the hygiene of the chefs. Even young folk around here are not using restaurants at the moment.I am in two minds.

MellowYellow Wed 29-Jul-20 18:14:16

That's such a useful link, Michael, thanks. Almost all the eateries in my area have signed up. I'd better get noshing next week!

LyWa Thu 30-Jul-20 09:59:57

Am I the only one smiling about the strangeness of two news stories - ‘Eat out and help the hospitality sector‘ and ‘Lose weight to help the NHS’

Shandy3 Thu 30-Jul-20 10:03:09

The big chains are also doing it but not yet on the list, or on a different list. Check the Martin Lewis website too he lists many more!

Callistemon Thu 30-Jul-20 10:08:56

LyWa

Am I the only one smiling about the strangeness of two news stories - ‘Eat out and help the hospitality sector‘ and ‘Lose weight to help the NHS’

We could order fish and salad! Perhaps.

But yes, conflicting messages LyWa

newnanny Thu 30-Jul-20 10:13:14

Thank you for posting helpful link Michael. My favourite restraint we go to is on the list. We will be going every week in August and salads and fruit in between visits.grin

Hellsbelles Thu 30-Jul-20 10:14:49

As good as it is to help kickstart the hospitality sector, how many of us will still not be going out to places where there is a chance of catching it ? For me , nothing is worth the possibility.

annsixty Thu 30-Jul-20 10:19:37

I have checked the government website and like others have been surprised at the restaurants offering this.
If I would choose to eat there before I am not worried about eating there now.
I have eaten out once two weeks ago and was very happy with the measures taken by everyone.

MissAdventure Thu 30-Jul-20 10:28:22

Do you have to do anything at the restaurant to get the discount?
Is it just automatic?

Ellianne Thu 30-Jul-20 10:32:17

Thank you for the link. I've chosen my favourite 3 which have outdoor tables and have booked to meet friends.
I think I will give the big chains a miss. They will be extra busy and want a quick turnaround, as well maybe employing additional random staff for the period who may not be as savvy.

Happiyogi Thu 30-Jul-20 10:46:33

LyWa , I quite agree! “Eat out...to lose weight”? confused

Plus the government are currently warning about the new wave of Virus rolling across Europe. Their confusing, conflicting policies must be filed under the heading ‘Yeah. But, No.’

Dorsetcupcake61 Thu 30-Jul-20 11:02:55

Thankyou for the link which I have shared with my daughters. I was amazed at the variety of places near me. I'm very wary at the moment of where I go as high risk. If I did go somewhere I would prefer to support a small local venue rather than big chain,although I do realise a lot of chains are franchises. From a health point it does seem a little bit contradictory although you can just have a coffee as no minimum spend.
Health wise a lot of pub and restaurant chains provide calories and nutritional guidelines either on site or on websites. I'm sure I read somewhere that people are not supposed to pay attention to it. It can be scary reading! I think a lot of us know what the best option is. I have found it very useful in the past and it has helped me eat out in a healthier way.

Squiffy Thu 30-Jul-20 11:07:23

This is from the Government website:

Use the Eat Out to Help Out Scheme at a participating establishment :

to get a 50% discount on food or non-alcoholic drinks to eat or drink in (up to a maximum of £10 discount per diner)

every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday between 3 and 31 August

as many times as you like

You do not need a voucher to use this scheme and you can use it at the same time as other offers and discounts. There is no minimum spend.

You cannot claim discount on alcoholic drinks or service charges.

The discount will be automatically available to you at participating establishments. Establishments will then claim a reimbursement from the government for the discount they’ve given you.

Participating establishments may include :

restaurants, cafés, bars or pubs
work and school canteens
food halls

GagaJo Thu 30-Jul-20 11:08:40

LyWa

Not to mention Matt Hancock saying the 2nd wave rolling across Europe is about to hit us AND the fact the 2nd wave is being driven by young people who are out and about as restrictions are eased.

But yes, they tell us to go out and sit in restaurants. It'd be better if they were encouraging take-always with a discount. Profit for the restaurants with less risk.

MissAdventure Thu 30-Jul-20 11:10:47

Thanks, squiffy smile

Ellianne Thu 30-Jul-20 11:16:28

"AND the fact the 2nd wave is being driven by young people who are out and about as restrictions are eased."
Exactly GagaJo. And where do most young people meet up, and even work? Bars, pubs, restaurants.

GagaJo Thu 30-Jul-20 11:18:01

Happy to support them. But not happy to risk the virus.

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 30-Jul-20 11:34:52

Thank you, Mick. Quite a lot in Harrogate, pity it starts when you are leaving!!

Pippet Thu 30-Jul-20 12:04:25

Thanks Michael. Really helpful.

helgawills Thu 30-Jul-20 15:26:15

A lot of the distances are as the crow flies, some within 5 miles from here are 12 miles by road across the river. We will go and invite friends. Thank you for sharing, Mick

12Michael Thu 30-Jul-20 16:22:56

Remember it only applies to those places on a Monday to Wednesday basis .
Mick