Gransnet forums

Chat

Lovely thing to say

(130 Posts)
Scribbles Wed 29-Jul-20 15:20:36

I was talking to some neighbours this morning. They're just back from a visit to relations on the south coast and were telling me about their trip. Jenny* asked about my trip to Richmond 3 weeks ago. I said I'd enjoyed it but, all the same, was glad to be home.
"Well, I should think so," she said, "this is such a lovely, friendly house, it must be really good to come home to."

That's one of the nicest things that anyone's ever said to me! I've always hoped my home might strike other people that way but have never had any certainty.

* not her real name.

Neilspurgeon0 Thu 30-Jul-20 10:16:39

My wife, who used to be a school dinner lady, was once described to me by the Headmaster as “just like my mum, she always has a crinoline of children around her”. She wasn’t amused, he was too old to be our son, about my age at the time, but I thought it a lovely complement to a very warm, loving woman.

Startingover61 Thu 30-Jul-20 10:16:46

After the decree absolute ending my 28-year marriage came through, a friend told me how special I was and not to forget it. On the day before my ex-husband remarried - which was just 7 weeks later - the same friend turned up at my house and gave me 15 yellow roses ‘in case tomorrow is a bad day for you’. I thought that was truly lovely of him.

timetogo2016 Thu 30-Jul-20 10:17:43

Same here Saddee55.
And my gc tell me they love me too,it`s a wonderfull feeling and i do well up.
There are more nice/good people out there than there are nasty/bad it`s just the nasty/ bad get the attention.

pinkym Thu 30-Jul-20 10:18:57

When my eldest DS was still at school he used to help out in a small local grocery store at the weekends. One Saturday I dropped in to do a bit of shopping and he was in the storeroom at the back. He came out beaming and said "I knew you were here, it felt suddenly really warm and cosy and lovely in here". Coming from a 15 year old BMX/skateboard fanatic, I was so touched, it made me feel warm and lovely, I've never forgotten it and he's 39 now!

Grandy56 Thu 30-Jul-20 10:19:22

My grandson (aged 7 ) saying to me last week. ‘Grandy, I love you so much it makes my heart go bump ‘
?

gran5up Thu 30-Jul-20 10:20:44

"You are brilliant at sympathy" and "Gran does the best cuddles"

Quizzer Thu 30-Jul-20 10:31:05

My adult son, after a particularly trying day with his children, said with feeling "Thanks for everything Mum, I understand now".

Applegran Thu 30-Jul-20 10:31:56

Talking to a 3 year old grandson about being shy and he said "I'm not shy of you - I love you!"
And about my home, lots of people say how lovely it is and one man who'd come to do some work here told me he'd said to his wife that his dream would be to own my house! Not sure if he looked at me to work out how long I'm likely to live!

Borrheid55 Thu 30-Jul-20 10:35:49

I was a management trainer for 25 years. I was working in an organisation with three diffErent levels if staff; junior, middle and senior managers. Id been going there regularly fir a couple of years. One day, my course broke for lunch - the meeting room door was open. A trainee from a previous year ran to the front of the group, gave me a hug and said “ Just do everything Anne says, it all works!” Made my day! I often wondered if I was making a difference , I got my answer!

Azalea99 Thu 30-Jul-20 10:40:02

Just one word will always be the nicest thing ever said to me :- “ Mummy”

Athenia Thu 30-Jul-20 10:41:46

'Gorgeous, sexy, beautiful' are the most wonderful sounding words in my ears, by my present beau. It is the first time that I have ever heard them, even after a 30 year marriage, and he is only my very first relationship after my divorce, many years ago.. These words, and the person saying them, have given me confidence in myself and my sexuality as never before.

hazel93 Thu 30-Jul-20 10:42:13

When my son was in his teens our house , being in town rather than rural , became the B & B for his close friends.
They began to refer to me as "2nd. Mum" !
Fast forward I still see them fairly regularly, now with families of their own of course but I always get a huge hug and "How you doing "2nd. Mum ".

GrannyBettie Thu 30-Jul-20 10:42:16

Grandy 96 That made me well up. How lovely,

Patticake123 Thu 30-Jul-20 10:42:47

On a thank you card from a student she wrote ‘I will always use you as my role model, you are an amazing person ‘. I am filling up thinking of that and wonder what happened to that young woman. Her words came at a particularly difficult period in my personal life and gave me such a boost.

Coconut Thu 30-Jul-20 10:43:50

A dear friend last month told me that I was the biggest cry baby that she had ever known ( always been very emotional !! ) and then she added, “but you are also the strongest woman that I’ve ever known”.
When taking a GC to an event, he pointed out that I can get in cheap as I’m an OAP ? then the man on the gate looked at me quizzically and said “ if you are an OAP I need to have some of whatever you’re having” .... it made my day ... my week ... and my year actually ?

MaryFinn Thu 30-Jul-20 10:44:16

"Cheque's in the post!" No one comes to my house, only my sister and my Mum!

I was once told I had lovely eyes, does that count?

Probably the worst thing anyone said to me (by my now ex) was: "You must have looked stunning 20 years ago!" Hence, why he's my ex!

SunnySusie Thu 30-Jul-20 10:44:30

I was attending an evening class once a week for six weeks. We got to know the other class members a bit, but not enough to call them friends. After the last class one of the other members made a point of coming over to me and saying "I just wanted to tell you that you have the most beautiful smile, it lights up your whole face". I was overcome and hardly knew how to reply. I never saw that person again, but I really treasured what they said. I try to remember now to say the positive things that are in my head. So often we think these things about other people but never say anything.

jocork Thu 30-Jul-20 10:44:31

A former colleague was moving away from the area and there had been talk of a few of us getting together for a meal to say goodbye. Then one of my remaining colleagues took me aside at work and told me the meal was happening but that she only wanted the two of us to go because we were 'the only nice people in the department.' I was quite surprised as I'd have expected the invitation to include at least two other people, though admittedly not the whole department!

Lupin Thu 30-Jul-20 10:50:24

We had moved to a new house, and one of the builders came to fix odd faults. My children and their new friends were playing and the place was very untidy. I apologised as the builder picked his way across the floor. He said, "No! No! Don't apologise. These children are happy and being allowed to play and make a noise. You should experience some of the places we visit. Poor little devils"
I had always allowed other children in to play and my house was a bit of a magnet for them, and it made me feel happy too.

BladeAnnie Thu 30-Jul-20 10:51:06

When I was a student nurse (very nature student at that), I had a placement at a homeless drop-in centre. I was working with a nurse practitioner and got to know a number of rough sleepers very well. When my placement was drawing to a close I asked if anyone would write a testimony to include in my uni evidence file. I had so many lovely things written but the thing that stood out most was a card which was left for me saying the world should have more people like me and I would leave a hole at centre that would be difficult to fill. That just made me cry - not only the words but the fact that someone who had so very little had bought me a card. It meant such a lot to me

Guineagirl Thu 30-Jul-20 10:55:37

We all need this from time to time. My house sold after a day the other month, I texted my friend she replied ‘not surprised a lovely house with a lovely owner’ I’ve never had anything said so nice.

Phoebes Thu 30-Jul-20 10:56:09

When I was young and gorgeous, an unknown German man came up to me in the foyer of the hotel where we were staying and said "Oh, you are such a pretty girl!" He wasn't trying to get off with me or anything, he just said it. Whenever I feel that I am really ancient, I think of that moment!

Unigran4 Thu 30-Jul-20 10:59:31

Oh Scribbles you've made my day! Not only a lovely thing to happen to you, but also not a moan in sight. All positive, we can do with that now and then.

aonk Thu 30-Jul-20 11:02:07

I took my granddaughters out to the park. The 5 year old said “I love doing things with you Grandma. Please don’t ever get dead!”

Caran Thu 30-Jul-20 11:04:14

My grandchildren call me Bibi. A few weeks ago my 4year old GD came over to me , gave me a big squeeze and said " when I grow up I want to be Bibi! I will treasure that memory always. And remind her of it in 20 years!?