Gransnet forums

Chat

Lovely Face Masks

(70 Posts)
FlyingHandbag Thu 30-Jul-20 17:12:14

Hi all,
A relative sent me a picture of her lovely mask and said she got it from a website called Boohoo. I have been looking for a nice mask so I have bought two. I have never required one as I haven't been to any shops, but I would like to start to go to shops.

I thought I would share with you all in case anyone is looking for masks. X

merlotgran Thu 30-Jul-20 22:36:10

Are you sure she said that, Urmstongran?

Urmstongran Thu 30-Jul-20 22:40:32

Yes merlotgran - that Liberty one at £400 was a present. It’s nice though. I love the peacock feathers. She was photographed last week wearing the ‘surgical’ blue one, like me. I refuse to wear joke ones (lips on them) or prints like leopard skin to ‘match’ my outfit.

merlotgran Thu 30-Jul-20 22:40:48

BTW I've found that chewing gum helps keep your mouth feeling fresh behind a mask. I hate the sight of anyone chewing gum and I've never done it myself - other than in the car on a long journey but it's OK behind a mask.

merlotgran Thu 30-Jul-20 22:41:53

£400???

Blimey!

Urmstongran Thu 30-Jul-20 22:43:54

Out here in Spain a lot of people are using a notched bit of plastic behind the head where they attach the elastic at a comfortable junction.

Urmstongran Thu 30-Jul-20 22:49:56

Apologies.
It wasn’t Camilla. It was Queen Letizia of Spain.
Wearing a beautiful ball gown with a cheap, disposable blue mask available from any farmacia out here.

I was impressed.

Freyer Thu 30-Jul-20 22:58:29

I bought a lovely cotton mask from a site on etsy called "off the cut"a crafts lady from Bath. Hand made pretty and comfortably easy to ware. Have now bought two more. British home made, not travelled across the world, came with wash before use advice.

Callistemon Thu 30-Jul-20 23:10:43

Disposable ones have to be disposed of somehow.
Do they get collected as clinical waste? Are they a hazard? Will they end up in landfill like disposable nappies? Or hanging off bushes like bags of dog poo?

It's rather worrying what will happen to them all.

I think I'll make some more washable ones.

Grammaretto Thu 30-Jul-20 23:12:08

Is it really possible to be comfortable wearing a mask for hours on end?
I have made several in various styles (u-tube videos galore) but they all become hot and uncomfortable after a while.
One is Liberty tana lawn left over from my dressmaking days.
Another has a very attractive coronavirus pattern.
I can never wait to rip them off as soon as possible.

Callistemon Thu 30-Jul-20 23:17:59

Me neither.

I wondered if the pleated ones are more comfortable.
Three layers are one layer too many, surely?

Grammaretto Thu 30-Jul-20 23:23:23

Yes I think 3 layers would be too warm. Is it better to have some space to breathe inside it like the industrial masks you get at DIY shops?

merlotgran Thu 30-Jul-20 23:30:29

I've bought some washable cotton ones but we keep a pack of disposable masks in the car, along with some gloves just in case we get caught out.

It's unlikely to happen as we're still not going anywhere but I do like to be prepared! grin

Callistemon Thu 30-Jul-20 23:34:48

I made the duck shaped ones as recommended by a nursing friend of DD. However, in Wales it was recommended to wear 3 layer ones at first so I made two layers of cotton with a layer of dress lining fabric in between as suggested in the instructions.

Now the CMO in Wales isn't sure that they are necessary hmm except on public transport.
He has said recently that the evidence for face masks is quite weak.

annodomini Thu 30-Jul-20 23:44:11

One of the layers of the three-layer masks I have bought is bonded to the outermost layer, so feels like a two-layer mask. I've acquired some iron-on interfacing material to make some more masks.

vegansrock Fri 31-Jul-20 06:03:13

I’ve been making masks out of Liberty tana lawn and have made over £1k for charity. The pleated ones with a gap to add an additional filter with adjustable ear loops seems to be the most popular. I make them in 4 different sizes. I hate those disposable ones you now see littering the street, they are meant to be one size fits all, but of course they don’t fit everyone and you see people wandering around with them under their chins or noses. Tana lawn is a very fine weave and very light, feels like silk next to the skin, and comes in beautiful patterns. I actually like mine and whilst I don’t enjoy the need for wearing them, I am frequently complimented on them. I also make little bags out of offcuts so you can keep your mask in your bag and not mixed up with tissues etc and the mask and bag can then go in the washing machine.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 31-Jul-20 08:14:09

I've been wearing home made fabric masks. They are reasonably comfortable and as we have to wear the damn things they might as well be attractive - that's my view anyway.

harrigran Fri 31-Jul-20 09:14:51

Oh no, would never buy anything from Boohoo.

Greeneyedgirl Fri 31-Jul-20 09:23:27

Seasalt masks I bought were disappointingly made in China, as I suspect many masks from major companies are.

MiniMoon Fri 31-Jul-20 09:27:28

I bought a face mask from an Etsy shop, custom made to fit my face, which is small and round.
It is made from blue camouflage fabric and has a filter pocket and nose wire.
It fits snugly and was a reasonable price.

Urmstongran Fri 31-Jul-20 10:12:24

I do like yours vegansrock ❤️
Is there such a thing as mask envy? ?
Clever idea to have the matching pouch to keep it in.

Regards ‘one size fits all’ blue disposable masks, I turn the elastic ends into a figure 8 to put on my ears so the mask fits more snugly.

henetha Fri 31-Jul-20 10:19:29

I tried making one yesterday from an old pink t-shirt.
It was surprisingly easy, so I will make more.

Witzend Fri 31-Jul-20 10:20:19

I like the look of the SeaSalt ones, too, though we’re still using the boxfull dh ordered way back - which took several weeks to arrive. I did make some out of an old pillowcase then, but Lord knows where we’ve put them.

I’m now annoyed with myself since the other day I ordered a top from SeaSalt and completely forgot about adding masks.

Callistemon Fri 31-Jul-20 10:23:09

They're lovely, vegansrock, well done.

I will try making some pleated ones like those I think.

vegansrock Fri 31-Jul-20 10:47:24

www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8OyV15ua24

This is a link to a simple pattern.

Nightsky2 Fri 31-Jul-20 10:47:25

Very pretty ones from Etsy. I cut a piece of kitchen towel into several pieces and use for filters, works fine.
The disposable ones are a bit big for me so I just tie a knot in the elastic and ‘Bobs your uncle’.