Gransnet forums

Chat

I like Jess Phillip's a lot but

(103 Posts)
kittylester Sun 02-Aug-20 17:21:57

I think she is being a bit unreasonable to expect the whip to be taken away from the Tory, ex cabinet member who is accused, but not charged last I heard, with raping a woman.

Iam64 Mon 03-Aug-20 09:07:55

He is accused of serious offences. If he was a youth worker, police officer, social worker, probation officer or teacher for example, he'd be suspended or sent on gardening leave.
Why is it different because he's an MP
I'm ok with his name being with held at this stage, but he ought not to be at work.

Iam64 Mon 03-Aug-20 09:09:31

Also, its interesting that a man is alleged to have committed serious offences against a woman but the OP is criticising Jess Phillips.

suziewoozie Mon 03-Aug-20 09:33:26

Thank you * Iam*. The tribalism on here is frankly pathetic. The OP criticises a Labour woman for making a perfectly valid point. Others then pile in with absolutely no understanding whatsoever it appears of the difference between the criminal? justice system and the workplace. I guess this thread will also be fuelled by the usual misogyny of many posters.

kittylester Mon 03-Aug-20 09:37:07

If he didnt work, it would be obvious who he was.

I did not express any opinion regarding the offence (which would be abhorrent) more my disappointment in a politician I really admire.

We know that some people make up these allegations - it is happening to someone I know. And, must sticks.

The accused is presumably not a danger to the general public and the people around them will know who he is.

It is nothing to do with men versus women but about people.

suziewoozie Mon 03-Aug-20 09:41:19

FGS kitty just like it would with a teacher or doctor. It’s not about the general public, it’s about the workplace - what don’t you understand about that? Elphicke had the whip taken away before being charged - and oh, he was found guilty. Well I never.

kittylester Mon 03-Aug-20 09:41:54

I meant to add -

It's the law!!

Galaxy Mon 03-Aug-20 09:43:07

How unearth can he not be a danger to women if this is true?

kittylester Mon 03-Aug-20 09:45:01

suziewoozie

FGS kitty just like it would with a teacher or doctor. It’s not about the general public, it’s about the workplace - what don’t you understand about that? Elphicke had the whip taken away before being charged - and oh, he was found guilty. Well I never.

Calm down.

Is no one allowed a different opinion suziewoozie.

suziewoozie Mon 03-Aug-20 09:45:30

What’s the law * kitty*? The issue is not about the law naming him - no one on here agrees with naming before charging ( except in exceptional circumstances) but about the behaviour of the Tory party in handling the issue in the interim.

suziewoozie Mon 03-Aug-20 09:48:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

suziewoozie Mon 03-Aug-20 09:49:51

And I note your inability to actually address the issues I’ve raised.

Luckygirl Mon 03-Aug-20 10:00:01

What a minefield this all is. No-one wants an innocent man pilloried and his career wrecked - but it is vitally important that women are kept safe from men who are guilty of these abhorrent crimes, and that he should suffer the consequences of his actions if he is guilty.

I read an interesting book about Westminster and it was very very depressing reading indeed. It outlined how powerless to influence legislation MPs find themselves (if they do not want to be totally sidelined in their careers, they have to toe the line politically), and their total disillusionment leading to a drinking culture.

Also endemic in the culture is the exploitation of young internees - young men and women fresh from university, proud of getting a job in Parliament and wanting to curry favour - they are easy meat for MPs disillusioned with their position and far away from their wives and families. It truly made grim reading. A sick system that encourages inappropriate behaviour at all ends of that spectrum.

Everyone in the system knows what goes on - it is almost like a boys' club where a blind eye is turned to some of the inappropriate behaviours. The whole system needs sorting as well as this single case of alleged wrong-doing. And proper HR procedures that protect the young interns; induction and supervision for them. It is a sick system.

I really would not like to be the person making the decisions in this situation. If and when charges are laid by the police, then he must be suspended - it is clear cut at that point - there is a case to answer.

What a very sad situation for this young woman - my heart goes out to her.

kittylester Mon 03-Aug-20 10:02:06

Message deleted by Gransnet as it quoted a post which has since been deleted. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Callistemon Mon 03-Aug-20 10:07:04

Whitewavemark2

I thought that there was more than one accusation?

I'm not sure, Whitewave
I thought there was more than one accusation but all by the same person. Different offences.

Callistemon Mon 03-Aug-20 10:12:37

Iam64

He is accused of serious offences. If he was a youth worker, police officer, social worker, probation officer or teacher for example, he'd be suspended or sent on gardening leave.
Why is it different because he's an MP
I'm ok with his name being with held at this stage, but he ought not to be at work.

Is he working from home though?
And/or his accuser working from home?

It's a rather odd and different situation at the moment.

I can see both points of view. Obviously someone coming into contact with the general public should be sent on 'gardening leave' as they could be a danger to others especially if the accusations are about children.

However, innocent men have had their reputations and lives ruined when it has been a case of 'she said, he said'. Or 'he said, he said'.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Anniebach Mon 03-Aug-20 10:14:59

If a man accused is named but then found innocent the mud will stick, can it be no woman would make false allegations ,
are all women incapable of being vengeful ?

Callistemon Mon 03-Aug-20 10:22:38

I have read somewhere that the young woman claimed that their relationship left her so traumatised that she ended up in hospital.

Were his advances spurned or were they already in a relationship but he became violent?

Galaxy Mon 03-Aug-20 10:25:14

Actually it is not mens lives who are being ruined, it is womens. 1 in 5 women are raped. The latest figures were 833 convictions in 58,000 cases. Dame vera Baird has stated we are seeing the decriminalisation of rape. The actual fact is not innocent till proven guilty it is innocent even when guilty.

Callistemon Mon 03-Aug-20 10:26:03

Alex Salmond is a recent case.
I must admit I immediately assumed his guilt because I dislike his politics and I am none too keen on what I have seen of him.
That is, I admit, prejudice and I was wrong.

Can those who are shouting for suspension in this case, resulting inevitably in name and shame admit the same?

Callistemon Mon 03-Aug-20 10:27:20

Galaxy oh yes, I will not deny that and things have to change particularly when cases get to court.

MayBee70 Mon 03-Aug-20 10:27:29

Wasn’t it Jess Phillips that had a bill that she’d been working on for a long time almost scratched because of Johnson’s failed attempt to prorogue parliament. And that was about women’s rights/safety. So perhaps she has a right to be angry about this governments record when it comes to sexual harassment of women. Thankfully Johnson failed and the bill went through I believe.

Anniebach Mon 03-Aug-20 10:28:00

No innocent man has been accused ?

Galaxy Mon 03-Aug-20 10:29:36

I can only speak for myself but it is nothing to do with politics for me. It is to do with what is happening to women day in and day out.

kittylester Mon 03-Aug-20 10:30:14

Callistemon

Alex Salmond is a recent case.
I must admit I immediately assumed his guilt because I dislike his politics and I am none too keen on what I have seen of him.
That is, I admit, prejudice and I was wrong.

Can those who are shouting for suspension in this case, resulting inevitably in name and shame admit the same?

Which is pretty much my point! I felt the same!

Galaxy Mon 03-Aug-20 10:30:40

At the same rate as any other crime Annie.