Gransnet forums

Chat

canany one translate French?

(64 Posts)
infoman Mon 10-Aug-20 07:19:26

comme versant
translates on the google translation "as a slope"
would anyone know its actual translation?
Thanks in advance

Elegran Tue 11-Aug-20 08:16:59

Who wrote the script? Maybe he thought "comme versant" had the same double connotations of "flowing as easily as water" and "speaking it like a native" in French as "fluent" has in English?

growstuff Tue 11-Aug-20 08:26:25

The point is that the Richard Attenborough character can only speak a few words of French. If you find the video and watch his face, he doesn't see to understand the German. He then comes out with one of the few sentences he knows "Parlez-vous français?", to which the German replies "Un peu", which is ironic because he can obviously speak very good French - not just a little.

Grandmafrench Tue 11-Aug-20 09:03:50

Translating anything when having to guess at what’s being said is a bit of a mission! ?.

Add in the fact that one actor is British and pretending to be French and attempting to respond sensibly to a German actor speaking in French........makes it even harder..
I really don’t think RA would be asked if he was conversant in French when he’s already said yes to the question asking him if he’s French. I too think it’s more likely they’d be posing as (travelling) sales people/commerçants .....hence the question being asked, and which he confirms.

Ellianne Tue 11-Aug-20 09:24:46

As a professional translator I was trained to never GUESS Grandmafrench because it could potentially start WW3! shock
Definitely the German is asking him to confirm his job as a salesman.

Ellianne Tue 11-Aug-20 09:31:38

Talking of 2ndWW films, I really enjoy watching The Longest Day. If anyone is ever near Sainte-Mère-Eglise, the museum is well worth visiting. It is packed with documents and artefacts from occupied Normandy.

Marydoll Tue 11-Aug-20 09:34:19

If you slow down the video, you can work out what he is saying or perhaps not! I have a degree in French and I still wasn't sure. wink

Ellianne Tue 11-Aug-20 09:44:48

Yes, it is unclear Marydoll.

infoman Tue 11-Aug-20 16:46:08

"comme versant" is shown on the in-vision sub-titles.
Maybe THATS where the error arises
We have to ignore the acting and actors and the words they are speaking
These are two escaping POW's
How would the German know they were business men?
Agreed,it could have been stamped on their documents
My thoughts are the german is asking "are you conversant"
in attempt to test RA French language skills
RA then says of course
If the german had said "are you teacher?"
would RA have said of course

growstuff Tue 11-Aug-20 16:56:35

Probably! The problem is that he doesn't really understand French. From memory, there's a bit in the film where the escapees learn some basic French.

I found the clip on YouTube and it sounded like "commerçants" the first time I heard it. I listened a few more times and that's definitely what it sounded like. It does make sense in context.

Marydoll Tue 11-Aug-20 17:08:12

Infoman, I'm curious to know why the meaning is so important to you. ?

Whatever the meaning is, they were caught out by the suspicious Gestapo man asking a question in English, not by their lack of French.

Ellianne Tue 11-Aug-20 17:24:47

Does this help?
Une carte d'identité 1942
After name, comes nationalité, then profession.
If you look at the identity cards of escapees and members of the resistance, several have représentant as their job because like commerçant they would be travelling around.
I think the German would meticulously be asking questions going down the document. I can't remember but in the middle of the film isn't there a bit where the guy forging the papers tell them what they will need to say about themselves?

Fennel Tue 11-Aug-20 18:29:31

Having lived in rural France for 18 years I can babble on with them for ages. You have to, no one speaks english there.
But I've no idea about the answer to the OP.
I would need to see it written down.
As in the UK there are so many accents, dialects, slang phrases particular to each area.

infoman Tue 11-Aug-20 18:31:53

Just looked at Google translation,SORRY.
are you fluent? translates as
êtes-vous couramment.
I'm gonna put it down as the person in charge of sub titles
could not understand what was spoken as well at the time,
way back in 1963.
My fascination with the scene was it the first thing I tried to understand when starting to learn French for the first time.
Any way thanks to every one,its been enjoyable and I glad it has created a lot of interest.
A bientôt

Ellianne Tue 11-Aug-20 18:36:52

"êtes-vous couramment"
Google translation is incorrect, infoman.

The sub titles are often way off what is actually said in films too!

Thanks for an intriguing thread.

Marydoll Tue 11-Aug-20 19:42:15

Infoman, J'ai bien aimé ça aussi! Merci!

Fennel Wed 12-Aug-20 12:43:57

As far as I remember mettre au jour was used for bring up to date.

Lucca Wed 12-Aug-20 12:57:55

Ellianne

"êtes-vous couramment"
Google translation is incorrect, infoman.

The sub titles are often way off what is actually said in films too!

Thanks for an intriguing thread.

As I said....google translate is rubbbish!

Lucca Wed 12-Aug-20 13:03:45

For language teachers....google translate came after the slavish use of a small dictionary by some students. I have two corkers to relate. (Question in French what do you do in your free time?)
“J’aime jouer aux intestines”

(What do you wear for footy training? Question in German)
“Ich trage mein Manchester United Schottenrock”

Prizes of an estimated A*. For those who work out what they meant and what went wrong.

Ellianne Wed 12-Aug-20 13:08:10

Quoi?
Wie bitte?
I'm working on those Lucca!

My favourite was, "hier, j'ai à gauche la maison plus tôt."

Ellianne Wed 12-Aug-20 13:08:50

Is Schottenrock a kilt?

Lucca Wed 12-Aug-20 13:13:37

Yes ellianne

Lucca Wed 12-Aug-20 13:15:01

Ellianne

Quoi?
Wie bitte?
I'm working on those Lucca!

My favourite was, "hier, j'ai à gauche la maison plus tôt."

At the end of a piece of writing about a holiday or something “Salopettes, j’ai beaucoup aimé mes vacances

silverlining48 Wed 12-Aug-20 14:14:19

I have a book The Franglais Lieutenants Woman by Miles Kington. My French is fairly basic which means I can read most of it and it makes me laugh. Over 40 classics in Franglais. Took a photo of it but not sure how I add it..but will try anyway.

silverlining48 Wed 12-Aug-20 14:15:35

Well I did it, tres bien.

Ellianne Wed 12-Aug-20 14:29:24

Interesting guide books * silverlining*. I love the Mosel.